800 Washington Av S (Guthrie ramp liner) - AECOM / City of Lakes Community Land Trust

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: 800 Washington Ave S (Guthrie Ramp liner development: Reloaded)

Postby John » July 11th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Agree, the Sherman proposal is nice and if its chosen that's fine. As far as the trees in the pocket gardens of AECOM, they would be consistently be well maintained by the condo association, with the species carefully chosen to be hardy enough to thrive in their constrained environment. It will be less neglected, and probably better planned/ thought out than Nicollet Mall ;)

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » July 12th, 2018, 6:29 am

Not that it's a make or break factor, but I'm puzzled at the comments saying the trees on the AECOM project won't survive. LPM and Nic on 5th are both supporting 2+ story trees on their roof decks. As long as the right cultivars are selected and proper measures are taken to enable their success, I don't see why it wouldn't work here as well.
I don't think they are saying its impossible, its just more difficult to keep them alive the farther from the ground. One reason is wind gets more intense up there and another being that the little bugs that help trees don't like to leave the ground. They get kind of isolated.

That being said, I would be great - they just can't plant and forget about them. It will be a battle.

atburns
Block E

Postby atburns » August 2nd, 2018, 10:40 am

I hadn't seen this rendering of the AECOM proposal before. It was included the The Journal's article: http://www.journalmpls.com/news/develop ... er-parcel/ While I like the Sherman proposal, I think this one stands tall above the rest. It is so different than anything else in the city. Pinstripes would be a nice addition but, as was previously mentioned, there's a decent chance they land in the Dayton's project.

ImageGuthrie liner parcel by Alex Burns, on Flickr

thisisdeception
Block E

Postby thisisdeception » August 2nd, 2018, 10:54 am

I hadn't seen this rendering of the AECOM proposal before. It was included the The Journal's article: http://www.journalmpls.com/news/develop ... er-parcel/ While I like the Sherman proposal, I think this one stands tall above the rest. It is so different than anything else in the city. Pinstripes would be a nice addition but, as was previously mentioned, there's a decent chance they land in the Dayton's project.

ImageGuthrie liner parcel by Alex Burns, on Flickr
"The building’s design, which features open green spaces and a rooftop garden, stands apart from many of the apartments recently built in the area, which are “pretty vanilla,” Dusek said."

Glad to see someone call out the local developers on this point. A little creativity would be nice to see and shouldn't be such a hassle in a hot area like this.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 2nd, 2018, 12:16 pm

Not that it's a make or break factor, but I'm puzzled at the comments saying the trees on the AECOM project won't survive. LPM and Nic on 5th are both supporting 2+ story trees on their roof decks. As long as the right cultivars are selected and proper measures are taken to enable their success, I don't see why it wouldn't work here as well.
Those don't have a roof above the trees, do they?

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 2nd, 2018, 1:12 pm

Having lived in Los Angeles during this decade, I can confirm AECOM has successfully brought the LA infill vibe here to Washington Ave. Reminds me of some of the fancy new stuff going up on the Sunset Strip.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 2nd, 2018, 1:23 pm

(The AECOM project was designed by a Minneapolis based architectural firm.)

thisisdeception
Block E

Postby thisisdeception » August 2nd, 2018, 4:45 pm

Doesn't matter if we have the architectural talent locally if local developers won't set their goals higher.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 2nd, 2018, 6:15 pm

The AECOM and Sherman proposals are really the only two serious contenders in this RFP. If AECOM has a sound financing plan, and the pragmatic issues of building's design are well thought out, I think they have a good chance of being chosen. If that's not the case, it's a shoo-in for Sherman.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm

A representative from the city gave the DMNA an update tonight.

Apparently neither office proposal even meets the RFP requirements, as both offer less than Fair Market Value for the land, and neither includes retail as required. So they're out.

As for the other two, the Sherman proposal meets the requirements, but apparently isn't very innovative by whatever metric they're using, while the AECOM proposal meets the requirements and is innovative. So, while the decision isn't official, AECOM is probably going to get the recommendation. They're proposing either the 9 story, 76 unit, 10% affordable option specified in the news articles, or, news to me, a 12 story, 111 unit, 15% affordable option. Either one would have a couple retail tenants, including possibly a 5 Watt Coffee.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

atburns
Block E

Postby atburns » August 7th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » August 7th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Awesome! Hopefully this project is successful.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 21st, 2019, 5:38 pm

It seems the reason this has seemingly gone dormant is that they've been redesigning it to add another two stories.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 21st, 2019, 10:51 pm

I thought the drawing didn’t match the description of 12 to 14 stories. Nice to see the neighborhood ask for more.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 26th, 2019, 8:21 am

The city granted them an extension. (locked)

Hope they can pull it off.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Postby luigipaladio » June 7th, 2019, 2:23 pm

I'm hoping against hope that AECOM can pull this off. It would be a terrific addition to the Washington Ave. corridor. I suppose that adding several more stories to this project does require a lot of new work from the architects, the finance people and who knows what else. This is one of the most novel of all proposals for Downtown, and has the potential to be a real eye catcher. When AECOM asked for an extension were they any comments about how long an extension they needed?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 7th, 2019, 2:56 pm

That extension granted last month was through June 8th, with options for additional monthly extensions through September. They're on the agenda to present to the neighborhood org on Monday, so hopefully they'll show up (they've cancelled a couple months in a row now) and we'll find out then.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » June 8th, 2019, 8:40 am

Yeah, and a project like this doesn't seem to be pancake stacked floor plans, likely meaning a ton of new work for the drawing set. 13/14 story is the "next step" above 6 so I'm feeling confident in it happening. The numbers tend to work in this range and justify the switch from Type 3a construction to Type 1/2

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 10th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Notes from their presentation tonight:

They're up to 14 stories and 127 units, 10% of which will be affordable via the City of Lakes Land Trust.
109 parking spots in 3 below-ground levels, accessed through the municipal parking ramp, so no curb cut on Washington.
The 3rd floor will be office space for the American Academy of Neurology, accessed via a short skyway from their existing building.
Presales are intended to start by the end of July, so I've gotta imagine we'll see it at CPC before then. Construction would likely start next spring.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: 800 Washington Ave - 14 stories - 173' (Guthrie Ramp liner development: Reloaded)

Postby Anondson » June 10th, 2019, 10:23 pm

That’s all pretty impressive. I love the touch about accessing the parking via the existing parking on the block.