Duffey Lofts - 500-528 Washington Ave N

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
contrast
Nicollet Mall

Re: Iron Store - 528 Washington Ave N (Cancelled)

Postby contrast » December 5th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Sounds like the most logical solution is reuse as office space with decent sized floor plates. Why force something that’s not meant to be?

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » July 23rd, 2019, 2:54 pm

Back from dead...as a market rate, mixed-use project: https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... oject.html

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 23rd, 2019, 3:44 pm

It's better with the retail. The crane room portion could look fascinating from the street.

I'm bothered by the lack of any interest in the southeastern portion of the site. The two story building at 508 Washington is a pretty ordinary structure, is it worth preserving? The surface parking lot at the corner is certainly not worth preserving. Why not redevelop those two parcels to a much greater intensity?

It's an enormous missed opportunity to leave a prime corner parcel untouched in the North Loop while the rest of the block is developed. I'd like the CoW to encourage the developer to think bigger for those parcels.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 24th, 2019, 1:15 am

I'm bothered by the lack of any interest in the southeastern portion of the site. The two story building at 508 Washington is a pretty ordinary structure, is it worth preserving? The surface parking lot at the corner is certainly not worth preserving. Why not redevelop those two parcels to a much greater intensity?
I'm going to say the 2 story structure is definitely worth preserving. A few times I've walked by and been lucky enough to see the garage door open. Inside is a very beautiful wood board interior that hasn't been changed since it was built in 1916. It's all paneled with exposed brick on the the East and West, with a staircase (also wood clad) in the front of the building. Now it's used for parking...

Now the question is, will they keep it like this? Because if not then I think it can be taken down.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 24th, 2019, 2:10 am

I'm very intrigued by the idea that 6th connects to 2nd st... bad rendering or knowledge of an opening?

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 24th, 2019, 7:17 am

Historic Name: Lindsay Brothers Warehouse
Common Name: 508 Washington Avenue North
Architect: E.C. Haley
Year Built: 1910

"This symmetrical two-story brick warehouse is divided into three bays with brick banding and corbelling forming the only decorative elements.64 The entire first story storefront has been infilled and a garage door added in the center bay. The structure is used as a parking garage. Despite the infilled storefront the building retains its integrity."

NE_love
City Center

Postby NE_love » July 24th, 2019, 7:54 am

I'm very intrigued by the idea that 6th connects to 2nd st... bad rendering or knowledge of an opening?
Bad rendering.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 25th, 2019, 1:41 pm

It's an enormous missed opportunity to leave a prime corner parcel untouched in the North Loop while the rest of the block is developed. I'd like the CoW to encourage the developer to think bigger for those parcels.
At the very least, they should build a small, 1-2 story retail/office building to hold the corner. The back 2/3rd of the surface lot could remain surface parking with minimal detriment to the streetscape.

luigipaladio
Nicollet Mall

Re: Iron Store - 528 Washington Ave N (Uncancelled)

Postby luigipaladio » July 25th, 2019, 6:31 pm

I agree that it would be good to fill that little parking lot at the end of the block, otherwise, I am glad to see that someone picked this up. The Duffy building is just too big and too much of a presence to sit untouched for any longer. With the mount of retail they have planned, this will do a lot to continue the enlivening of Washington through the North Loop. Bravo!

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » July 29th, 2019, 7:26 am

They have other properties in the neighborhood (along 6th ave?), correct? Are those still being used?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 29th, 2019, 8:01 am

This makes me long even more for a 3rd St connection across the rail trench, particularly as a backup corridor for buses and bike/walk. Washington Ave just gets too choked around Hennepin and Nicollet, and the North Loop could really use some better transit.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 29th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Kinda have to accept that a 3rd St bridge over the tracks/trail is not possible in a post-T3/Dock St Flats world. There’s just no way. Prior to those developments, sure. 4th St N is truly the only hope for something between Washington and 5th St N. But generally, yes I agree that another local connection would be very beneficial to take pressure off Washington and 5th St.

maka_ska
Block E

Postby maka_ska » July 30th, 2019, 12:02 am

There is a 3rd Street walk/bike bridge attached to the viaduct.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » July 30th, 2019, 10:34 am

There is a 3rd Street walk/bike bridge attached to the viaduct.
A nice alteration to this would be an offshoot from the existing walk/bike bridge that connects down to 3rd Ave.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » July 30th, 2019, 11:30 am

Is use this bike bridge all the time instead of Washington Ave, however we don't need the connection to 3rd Ave, there are bike lanes on Washington Ave you can take 3rd Ave from there to the trail or connect to it near the river.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 30th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I'm more concerned about how we can get buses quickly down the corridor from North Loop to Gateway to Mill District, but maybe we just need signal priority and some bus skip queues on Washington.

twincitizen

Re: Duffey Lofts - 500-528 Washington Ave N

Postby twincitizen » February 6th, 2020, 3:20 pm

This is on the 2/10 CPC Agenda. Recommended for approval.
Plans: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... 0Lofts.pdf
188 units
24,000 sq. ft. of commercial space (but not all retail/restaurant, as this figure includes a coworking space)

They are re-doing the small parking lot at the corner of Washington & 5th, though the plans do include a "future building" notation. I'd guess it will remain a parking lot for a while, especially if they get some destination retail in here that's a big draw.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 23rd, 2020, 1:50 pm

According to this (locked) Bizjournals article about the developer buying the remainder of the Duffey Paper properties on 3rd St, this project will be starting construction in May.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 16th, 2020, 1:59 pm

This is started now :)

Will snag a picture after work

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 22nd, 2021, 1:56 pm

I'm awful at keeping my word I guess :P

Anyways, here's the website with a rendering (featuring an EU standard pedestrian crossing sign?? Thanks Lumion asset library...)