240 Hennepin Ave - 21 stories - 256'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

240 Hennepin Ave - 21 stories - 256'

Postby Silophant » July 30th, 2018, 9:03 am

Washington Avenue continues to Happen.

The DMNA LUC agenda next week includes:
An 18-20 story, 350-unit apartment tower with 350 underground(!) parking stalls on Hennepin Avenue between Washington and 3rd. It's proposed by Harlem Irving, the developers of the the Link/Fresh Thyme in Prospect Park.

A proposal for the surface lot at Washington and Park (adjacent to Sawatdee) by Garden Communities and BKV. Looks like Garden mostly owns extremely suburban stuff in New Jersey and BKV is BKV, but we'll see.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby alexschief » July 30th, 2018, 10:26 am

Sounds like the Eclipse lot is getting a very Stanton-esque proposal. Maybe Irving will clad it in black glass as a tribute. Hope the city pushes back hard on the parking count, this is a site with a tremendous amount of transit and bike/ped accessibility.

At the Sawatdee site, BKV's buildings are not always home runs, but they are always interesting. They make an effort. This is a highly visible site, so hopefully they have something good in mind.

Speaking of the corner of Washington and Park, what would it take to get some benches installed in between the hedgerows of the Park Avenue Lofts landscaping, at the intersection's northern corner?

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » July 30th, 2018, 11:06 am

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the site next to Sawatdee is part of Zygi Wilf's real estate holdings, and that would explain the New Jersey connection.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » July 30th, 2018, 11:06 am

That's a lot of parking but a much lower ratio than what Stanton wanted in Eclipse (if memory serves me right). All underground is great as well. Excited to see how it looks.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 30th, 2018, 11:27 am

Yeah, the city pushed back on the nearly (more than?) 2:1 parking ratio of Eclipse, but I don't think they'll fight about a 1:1 ratio. And, to be honest, if it's all underground and the entrances aren't too egregious, I don't really care. The developer can do whatever they want - it's their money they're losing if they way overbuild.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » July 30th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Washington Avenue continues to Happen.

An 18-20 story, 350-unit apartment tower with 350 underground(!) parking stalls on Hennepin Avenue between Washington and 3rd. It's proposed by Harlem Irving, the developers of the the Link/Fresh Thyme in Prospect Park..
I'm looking forward to seeing the first floor retail that comes with this development. Considering the location we should be seeing something that is a nice addition to this area.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » July 31st, 2018, 6:36 am

Yeah, the city pushed back on the nearly (more than?) 2:1 parking ratio of Eclipse, but I don't think they'll fight about a 1:1 ratio. And, to be honest, if it's all underground and the entrances aren't too egregious, I don't really care. The developer can do whatever they want - it's their money they're losing if they way overbuild.
I'm certainly happy that the upper bound of parking to units for most of these projects is now 1:1, but I want to push the window further. This site is steps from the LRT, steps from countless buses, a short roll to a curbed bike lane and the future Hennepin lanes, and will be served by the E-Line in the future as well. If City Club Apartments can be built with no parking at all, other buildings could get below 1:1 as well.

I'm not saying the city should do anything drastic, I'd just like to see it suggested, repeatedly, to every developer, when these projects come in. It'd also be nice to get a study of parking utilization for some of the new developments, like the Nic. If it proved that Minneapolis developers are already overbuilding residential parking, that might sway banks to lend to projects with less.

Either way, more parking equals more driving, and it's in all of our interests to push for less.

jtoemke
Landmark Center

Postby jtoemke » July 31st, 2018, 7:38 am

The high parking numbers always make me think "parking podium" which usually means architectural disaster. If they are underground and underutilized I couldn't care less.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 31st, 2018, 9:46 am

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the site next to Sawatdee is part of Zygi Wilf's real estate holdings, and that would explain the New Jersey connection.
The Garden companies are the Wilf family's development companies.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 1st, 2018, 10:06 am

An 18-20 story, 350-unit apartment tower with 350 underground(!) parking stalls on Hennepin Avenue between Washington and 3rd. It's proposed by Harlem Irving, the developers of the the Link/Fresh Thyme in Prospect Park.
Tushie Montgomery is the same architects as the cancelled 40 story tower proposed on 5th St last December

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 1st, 2018, 12:44 pm

Tushie Montgomery is the same architects as the cancelled 40 story tower proposed on 5th St last December
Cool, hopefully it's much better than the Sherman consider condos. That was a nice looking building.

Silophant

Re: Harlem Irving and CA Ventures - 240 Hennepin Ave - 18-20 stories

Postby Silophant » August 6th, 2018, 10:46 pm

There was a presentation to the DMNA tonight. No renderings beyond massing diagrams, but it sounds like they're paying a lot of attention to the boundary between the glassy towers of downtown and the brick of the warehouse district, so I'm optimistic. The tower, while running the length of the block, will be set back after the third floor - about 30' from Hennepin and about 60' from Washington. Almost entirely retail along the base, aiming for a 13ksf anchor tenant (a Walgreens or CVS that's open later than 8pm maybe?) and an additional 10ksf of smaller spaces. They may be talking to UP about a skyway connection across Hennepin.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 6th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Thanks for your DMNA updates!

I bet such a skyway connection gets fought hard, but I can see the desire to bring a skyway connection a few blocks closer to the residents in North Loop.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 7th, 2018, 9:03 am

I generally don't get riled up about skyways one way or another, but I'd definitely agree that one at this location should be blocked.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » August 7th, 2018, 9:09 am

There was a presentation to the DMNA tonight. No renderings beyond massing diagrams, but it sounds like they're paying a lot of attention to the boundary between the glassy towers of downtown and the brick of the warehouse district, so I'm optimistic. The tower, while running the length of the block, will be set back after the third floor - about 30' from Hennepin and about 60' from Washington. Almost entirely retail along the base, aiming for a 13ksf anchor tenant (a Walgreens or CVS that's open later than 8pm maybe?) and an additional 10ksf of smaller spaces. They may be talking to UP about a skyway connection across Hennepin.
It's a Walgreens from what I've been hearing

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 7th, 2018, 9:21 am

A Walgreens 4 blocks from a brand (kinda) new Walgreens?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 7th, 2018, 9:29 am

A Walgreens 4 blocks from a brand (kinda) new Walgreens?
It might only be 6 (is more accurate) blocks, as the crow flies, but there's a HUGE mental block between North Loop and 7th & Nicollet for most people. No difference between the CVS at 11th & Hennepin... which is actually 'closer' to Walgreens.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 7th, 2018, 9:35 am

Plus, y'know, I'd hope this location would be open later than 8pm. Sure seems like downtown should be able to support one 24-hour convenience store.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 7th, 2018, 9:50 am

Downtown Minneapolis has always had a freakishly small number of drug stores. Downtown DC has a CVS on practically every street. I suppose that's because workers who rely on transit won't walk terribly far from the office for their errands while a larger percentage of Minneapolis workers drive and can stop near home, but still.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 7th, 2018, 10:17 am

Yeah, two drug stores several blocks apart isn't all that close.

I'd kinda prefer if the anchor tenant was a Target store of the express variety, but a 24-hour store like Walgreens would definitely be a great amenity for the neighborhood.