Forte on the Park / 200 12th Ave S - 12 Stories / 130'

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Forte on the Park / 200 12th Ave S - 12 Stories / 130'

Postby bapster2006 » February 6th, 2020, 3:17 pm

A proposal at 200 12th Ave S for an 11-story 207 unit residential building.

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... %20Ave.pdf

twincitizen

Re: 200 12th Ave S

Postby twincitizen » February 6th, 2020, 3:39 pm

That's nice. Hopefully that U of M building at 1100 Washington (Tech Center, not WBOB) goes next. That parcel takes up the remaining 3/4 of this block and includes the surface parking lot fronting on 2nd and 11th.

Also, is this Reuter Walton's first >6-story/non-stick apartment project? Not including WaHu which they built as part of CPM. If so, cool to see them taking on larger and more varied developments.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » February 6th, 2020, 3:45 pm

This is nice, Washington Ave is going to feel dense from 35W to Plymouth Ave N. I wish the parking near Washington could be a park, but it must be owned by someone else. An aside, I don't think the other building is going anywhere. It has some established tenants including Amy Klobuchar's Senate offices. The place is secure and I'm sure profitable to lease. If only we didn't have all of those ramps, this area wouldn't feel so far from Seven Corners.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 6th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Completely unambitious proposal. It's basically exactly what you would start with for this block, and it's a bit of a bummer that there wasn't an effort to do better. That said, as others have mentioned, the real key here is is the UMN lot at the NW corner and the Washington Ave frontage. Of the four corners of this block, this is the one that is least important.

The value of the rest is going to keep going up. Even if the existing building is profitable, the opportunity cost is growing. Hopefully when the time comes, the result will be better than eleven stories of ESG's budget package.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 6th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Seems a strong risk of the northwest corner having an Eleven dropped there and views of Gold Medal blocked. A bit higher and those floors would be up over the building across 2nd and sights of the river to be had.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 6th, 2020, 6:50 pm

I personally think this is a great looking project. Lets not mistake this for a signature project. This is infill. And great infill at that. Love the street level units, and the units right above on the second floor feel like they are right on top of the sidewalk. That should really help the street level experience!

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » February 6th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Infill is good. Would’ve preferred something taller to tone down the height difference with Eleven in the neighborhood.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 6th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Also, is this Reuter Walton's first >6-story/non-stick apartment project? Not including WaHu which they built as part of CPM. If so, cool to see them taking on larger and more varied developments.
I think so. Good on them for entering the high-rise space with a doable project instead of trying to jump directly to a skyscraper on a postage stamp and crashing and burning like Solhem did, I suppose.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 7th, 2020, 9:49 am

I think so. Good on them for entering the high-rise space with a doable project instead of trying to jump directly to a skyscraper on a postage stamp and crashing and burning like Solhem did, I suppose.
Agreed, they could go a little taller without being a bad neighbor* and blocking the amenities deck during peak summer sun/pool deck time at Stonebridge Lofts - but I think this is very appropriate for the space.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 7th, 2020, 11:16 am

It's fine. I did see the rendering and think, "is this ESG?" though. Which was weird as you guys comment about them but I know nothing about architecture or firms.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 7th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Affordable housing in the Mill District? Reuter Walton has a plan for it
*LOCKED*

Interesting tidbit from the article:

Reuter Walton will use light gauge steel for construction, Walton said.. That steel is much more expensive than stick-frame construction but slightly less expensive than concrete. Per construction codes, 11 stories is the tallest structure allowed with that steel.

The project will cost about $71 million, about $9 million less than if builders used concrete, Walton said.

Reuter Walton will scatter the 17 affordable units throughout the building. A one-bedroom, affordable unit will rent for $1,100 a month while a top-floor penthouse will rent for $5,500 a month.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 7th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Interesting. The Hampton Inn at 9th St and 1st Ave was built with steel like that, but I don't believe we've seen anything else built like that in the last decade - the other 9-11 story buildings built in the last ten years have all been concrete, if I'm remembering correctly.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

jffalb
Block E

Postby jffalb » February 7th, 2020, 4:06 pm

I believe the hotel on Henn. and 6th? Marriot AC? was constructed with steel

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 5th, 2020, 8:38 pm

This came back to the DMNA tonight, as the developer has decided to add an additional floor, with 16 more units, but no more parking stalls. I did not think to ask whether, as implied by the article above, this means they had to switch the whole building over to concrete construction.

Here's the CPC Packet.

Edit: fixed link
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Re: 200 12th Ave S - Reuter Walton - 12 Stories / 130'

Postby alexschief » May 6th, 2020, 9:14 am

You linked the CoW packet, the CPC submission is here.

Highly recommend the public comments in this one. There are a handful of useful comments about making space for dogs and loading (which the developer has responded to) and a lack of retail space (which is not addressed and actually is a big issue for this area, it needs to be included on the corner U of M lot). But more funny is are the people who live in 10+ story buildings complaining about another 10+ story building. Everyone wants to pull up the drawbridge just as soon as they get into the castle. Also a lot of comments about how congested this area is. lol!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 6th, 2020, 11:33 am

Yeah, that's a recurring theme in the neighborhood. I'm always glad when more people are moving downtown, but I have no idea why this neighborhood around Gold Medal Park specifically filled up with people that thought they would be able to live downtown and still be able to drive absolutely everywhere at 30mph without stopping.

As for the retail, the presenter touched on that - they and the CoW discussed it and agreed that, with the trouble retail is/was already having on this stretch of Washington pre-coronavirus, it wasn't really worth it to force a retail space on this corner that would likely sit empty. I tend to agree - having a retail space on the 11th / 2nd corner is much more important, and by my reading of the 2040 plan land use map, would be required when that lot is developed.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » May 6th, 2020, 1:23 pm

Highly recommend the public comments in this one. There are a handful of useful comments about making space for dogs and loading (which the developer has responded to) and a lack of retail space (which is not addressed and actually is a big issue for this area, it needs to be included on the corner U of M lot). But more funny is are the people who live in 10+ story buildings complaining about another 10+ story building. Everyone wants to pull up the drawbridge just as soon as they get into the castle. Also a lot of comments about how congested this area is. lol!
I really enjoyed these as well. My favorite two were "my unit's view will be impacted and hurt my property value" and "this will ruin the view from our pool." At least there hasn't been a proposal for the Legacy Historic District yet.

zlkahn
Metrodome

Postby zlkahn » May 7th, 2020, 10:06 am

I really enjoyed these as well. My favorite two were "my unit's view will be impacted and hurt my property value" and "this will ruin the view from our pool." At least there hasn't been a proposal for the Legacy Historic District yet.
This neighborhood is every bit as ridiculous as these comments indicate. My wife and I sold our house in South Minneapolis to move downtown a few years ago and started renting a condo at The Legacy last summer. While there are definitely outliers, I get the sense the majority of the residents of this building are of this mindset.
  • They are concerned about what this building will do to traffic in the area (200 cars is a drop in the bucket)
  • They are definitely concerned about the affordable housing requirement in the 2040 plan (and in this building) and I can imagine are
  • shocked that developers aren't giving up on building in Minneapolis.
  • They are complaining to 311 regularly about Eleven construction workers not practicing social distancing - in hopes that will somehow stop the project (which they fought vigilantly)
Ownership really does a number on people's brains. I imagine most of this is the audience that Legacy targeted and sold to. A decent chunk of the people we meet in the building have sold their home in the outer suburban ring to move to the city and I'd guess are used to having more control over neighbors via an HOA (this definitely manifests itself within the building).

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » May 7th, 2020, 9:02 pm

A decent chunk of the people we meet in the building have sold their home in the outer suburban ring to move to the city and I'd guess are used to having more control over neighbors via an HOA
This reminds me of something that happened a couple years ago after a huge snowfall: I was snow blowing the back pad for the garages of the brownstone I live in (4 wide), and there's a huge condo on the other side of the alley. There's no way you can throw 8" of wet snow far enough to do long passes, so I normally blow it against the condo's blank wall next to their dumpster, then when I'm done I hit their little sidewalk to clear what I've thrown.

This guy comes home for lunch into the alley, so I stop and wait for him to pass, but no he honks and starts screaming at me about how it's illegal to blow snow off of a property. I try and explain what I'm doing but he's having none of it. So I just continue on, and he TRIES TO HIT ME WITH HIS SUV. I ignore him to finish blowing, then do their sidewalk, then leave and go do the front. The whole time he's honking and yelling from his car.

When I'm done there's a cop car waiting in the parking lot next door, they tell me he called. When I mentioned he tried to hit me with his car they said they're not going to argue so I say the conversation is over and go back in the house.

And of course what do you think the people the condo hired to clear snow do? Blow it off the property into a huge pile like everyone else in the alley.

These people need to stay in the suburbs, they're just incapable of living this close to anyone else.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 11th, 2020, 4:29 pm

Passed unanimously, in a crushing blow to Stonebridge residents' right to have a directly sunlit pool deck at 3pm on March 21st.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]