Hennepin Avenue Downtown Reconstruction

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Austinite
City Center

Hennepin Avenue Downtown Reconstruction

Postby Austinite » September 21st, 2020, 11:51 am

Surprised there isn't a main thread for this. Next to Nicollet, Hennepin has to be one of the most important streets downtown. I am almost more excited for this reconstruction that I was for Nicollet. I think the design really hits all the right points and will look just as good if not better than Nicollet. Surprising how much less the cost is for this - I guess if you don't have a big name designer attached....

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Re: Hennepin Avenue Reconstruction

Postby nordeast homer » September 22nd, 2020, 9:39 am

What a perfect year for them to be working on it too! Think if they had worked on it with the normal traffic, it would have been a nightmare. I can't wait to see the finished product!

John21
Union Depot

Postby John21 » September 22nd, 2020, 10:01 am

alexschief
US Bank Plaza

Postby alexschief » September 22nd, 2020, 10:35 am

Two things still need to be improved.

First, I'm hoping the City Council and Public Works establish the outer lanes for buses only, before the whole street opens. It's time to put the city's modal priority into action. If you want to put a transit (including a bunch of bus routes and the future E Line) ahead of car traffic, then you need to start making tough choices. Otherwise, the bus congestion of the old Hennepin will return immediately to the new Hennepin.

Second, the street design doesn't have enough places to sit. The city embarrassingly caved to local property owners who wanted to keep the homeless away from Hennepin by denying them places to sit. It's short-sighted and cruel, and a lot more furnishing is needed.

Austinite
City Center

Postby Austinite » September 22nd, 2020, 11:14 am

I believe in the design there are movable seats that will be included and some benches. Once things improve and more businesses fill in all the vacant spaces along the street, they will place their own tables/chairs for outdoor seating. Was really sad when Cityworks removed their outdoor seating, but can't blame them considering the safety concerns.

uptownbro
City Center

Postby uptownbro » September 22nd, 2020, 11:24 am

City works closed a while back. I think its much improved even if there are still issues with the design. I do like it better then Nicollet mall and it should help improve the street life immensely. Even the 8th street reconstruction has helped the walking experience downtown.

SurlyLHT
Foshay Tower

Postby SurlyLHT » September 22nd, 2020, 3:20 pm

I don't have any pictures, but this has made some great progress. I've glanced at it while biking through the intersections. Areas seem close to completion.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » September 22nd, 2020, 7:28 pm

I have a ton of pictures. I can put them on Google photos and share the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Hennepin Avenue Downtown Reconstruction

Postby mnmike » September 30th, 2020, 12:33 pm

I’d love to see! Since I’m not there anymore

Austinite
City Center

Postby Austinite » September 30th, 2020, 1:25 pm

City works closed a while back. I think its much improved even if there are still issues with the design. I do like it better then Nicollet mall and it should help improve the street life immensely. Even the 8th street reconstruction has helped the walking experience downtown.
I agree 100 percent. Really have to applaud the city for incorporating more greening elements in all of these street reconstructions, and to DID and Greening Mpls for all their work in helping new trees, etc. survive. I still wish these new planting beds had raised curbs and fencing around them to help deter dog and people from walking through them. Also - could help prevent some of the salt into the beds during the winter time.

Now we just need people back downtown to enjoy.