307 Oak Grove Apartment Proposal

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » December 2nd, 2020, 11:33 am

Came across an announcement on the Citizens for a Loring Park Community website about a Zoom meeting held 11/16 to go over a 5-story apartment proposal designed by Snow Krelich Arcitects. Anyone attend or have any images of the design?

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: 307 Oak Grove Apartment Proposal

Postby Anondson » December 2nd, 2020, 12:07 pm

Came across an announcement on the Citizens for a Loring Park Community website about a Zoom meeting held 11/16 to go over a 5-story apartment proposal designed by Snow Krelich Arcitects. Anyone attend or have any images of the design?
Is it this?

https://twitter.com/nickmagrino/status/ ... 0984285191

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » December 4th, 2020, 10:43 am

Here's the CoW submission.

62 units, 37 parking spaces, six stories. Designed by Snow Kreilich, so of course it has a very restrained use of exterior materials. The main entrance is peeled back just slightly from the street, with good landscaping this would be very appealing.

The only thing about this submission that concerns me is the built form guidance. This project would require a variance from the soon-to-be-approved Corridor 4 built-form rules. The maximum FAR with bonuses for this district is 3.2, and this building proposes an FAR of 3.49. I think, in hindsight, this area should've been Corridor 6. There are a number of parking lots in the vicinity which, if they were to be redeveloped, would likely be high-FAR infill projects on constrained lots. This issue may come up again. I don't know what the appetite is for a Comp Plan amendment so soon, and especially in Lisa Goodman's district, but the Corridor 4 designation of this area seems to me like a mistake.

I hope the variance will be granted. Honestly any time Snow Kreilich comes before the CPC with a new project, they should just get everything they ask for.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 4th, 2020, 1:00 pm

It's definitely a mistake, but it's the mistake Goodman forced through. If I remember correctly, Loring Park was all Corridor 6 in the initial public draft.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 4th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Looks great! Love the modern contrast in style but respect to the urban format. Nice lines and quality materials. Build it!

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » December 7th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Thanks for posting. Overall like the design. One thing I love about Loring is you can see architectural design through the decades right next to each other.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » December 8th, 2020, 3:49 pm

I loved living in the Loring Park area. Felt like you liked in a city. Each of these surface lots that gets swallowed up with keep that momentum moving. I just hope they were able to get/keep some of the Nicollet tenants after that redevelopment nearby. Always felt like the area needed a couple more bars/restaurants/destinations in view of the density.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » February 11th, 2022, 4:13 pm

Update.

60 units. 37 parking.

Opening maybe 2024

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -land.html

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 11th, 2022, 8:05 pm

So many projects that were stuck in the backlog suddenly appear to be moving forward all at once. Posted it elsewhere today, but I think it's really going to be a banner year for Minneapolis housing developments.

And as always, more Snow Kreilich projects getting built is a good thing.

l12
Block E

Postby l12 » February 12th, 2022, 4:09 pm

Originally they said construction would start in Summer 2021. Now second half 2022.

pillsdoughboy
City Center

Postby pillsdoughboy » July 29th, 2022, 9:59 pm

https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... f%20Report

This is up on the Planning Commission agenda for Monday the 1st. Unfortunately the design seems to have been downgraded to an underwhelming dark gray brick. I can't believe how little ambition our city's developers have.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 30th, 2022, 10:02 am

It will still be one of the most attractive buildings on the street though.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » August 9th, 2022, 12:54 am

It will still be one of the most attractive buildings on the street though.
Yes, but I hope they improve the balcony placements. They are too random and look to chaotic. We need more board members with OCD to help keep our community looking more orderly. The balconies on the side look much more fuller and aesthetically pleasing.

Only other complaint is that is 1 city block away from Loring Park, and yet it's 4 city block distance TO GET THERE! I think it's progress (not progress for the renter though) that Oak Grove Towers & 330 Oak Grove are now owned by the same parent company. If they continue increasing units in the surrounding community they MIGHT have an increased incentive to develop a midblock pedestrian walkway.

Which in return would pressure the city to build a pedestrian crossing (midblock near Dunn Brothers) a 60 unit apartment complex is hardly enough units to warrant an onsite full-time leasing staff and maintenance staff. Lets see if Local by Laramar scoops them up if and when they are on the market for sale.

RedDutch
Metrodome

Postby RedDutch » August 10th, 2022, 5:09 am

How are the balconies random or Chaotic?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 10th, 2022, 12:34 pm

Also wondering what is random & chaotic Image
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » August 17th, 2022, 2:43 am

Oh.. I was looking at the older rendering (as shown in the Business Journal Linked article above) The updated ones are beyond beatiful and look great! The stone color seems a smidge dark, but likely that is due to the rendering and will be a smidge lighter when actually built.

Also, the entrance looks so elegant I really enjoy the look and design. In an age of delivering services, they really gave the entrance an entrance it needs. The only minor critique is the red metal paneling on the top. I question how well it will look with only the matching balcony metal panels to tie it all together. I think a matching oversized glass section that matches the 1st floor. plus bonus points for an awning with white pillars that match the ground level too!

Bravo to the developer for correcting the balcony concept before it went to far in the planning process! For those who dare to see a scary picture, I encourage you to click biz journal link to get a glimpse of the horror that could have been! YIKES!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 17th, 2022, 7:44 pm

I loved the balconies on the previous design! This one strikes me as pretty boring.