Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Brenns
City Center

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby Brenns » July 18th, 2017, 2:23 pm

I am very skeptical of how this turd will polish up. IMO, the biggest problem with the Target Center is that half the building has no interface with the street at sidewalk level and cuts a huge wall across the neighborhood. I'm not seeing how a couple curtain walls and some new Trespa will more than band-aid the problem.
From an urban planning perspective, this building was fatally flawed to begin with.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » July 18th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Yeah that's not why they are renovating it. But its still being improved (modestly) from that perspective.
Towns!

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » July 19th, 2017, 7:05 am

Aren't there buildings all along 1st Ave that cut a huge wall across the neighborhood? At least this thing's being opened up a bit.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 16th, 2017, 1:24 pm

Okay, it's done. I walked by this last week and didn't think it looked like lipstick on a pig anymore. The really opened up that facade that's facing 1st. No longer looks like a wind swept overhang that belongs to a parking ramp

http://www.startribune.com/take-a-look- ... 131613/#11

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 10th, 2021, 5:30 pm

With news of the Timberwolves (and Lynx?) being sold by Glen Taylor to Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore.

Let's hear your fantasy plans for redevelopment of Target Center after the teams are relocated out of Minnesota.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 10th, 2021, 7:52 pm

Dump the whole thing, put Glenwood back where it ought to be, and rebuild the Point Bar!
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » April 12th, 2021, 8:10 am

They won't tear it down...with the renovation and need for concert space.. (I don't think Mpls has another venue of comparable size??)
I say hold onto it and have a planned closure in 20 years or so. This location could produce some tax dollars.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 12th, 2021, 12:23 pm

Can fantasy talk move to someplace other than this thread?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » April 14th, 2021, 9:20 am

Per taylor its in the contract that they cant leave MN as well as the NBA will not approve a move

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » April 14th, 2021, 10:48 am

Yeah, I think the league learned its lesson with the Supersonics. Not the the Thunder aren't supported, but the league is now out of one of the larger media markets in the country.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » April 14th, 2021, 11:00 am

The guys who moved the Sonics from a large and prosperous metro area to a much less affluent and smaller market, who subsequently lucked into a GM who was brilliant in the draft. Then they couldn't pay the players they drafted because they were in too small of a market. One of the Thunder owners ended up driving his Chevy Tahoe into a wall at 88mph after being indicted for violating anit trust laws.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 15th, 2021, 11:25 am

fantasy plans for redevelopment of target center? umm the city just put in tens of millions of dollars to renovate it. it's going to stay as a space for events, concerts, whatever, even in the unlikely even the wolves leave, which i doubt they can as the team signed a lease like in 2015 or something binding them to the arena until 2032 i believe.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 21st, 2021, 10:28 am

Now that it is sold...how about tear it down, build arena with 1000' tower on top and extend Target Plaza across 394 to the new building...or build a new stadium and cap 394 with a mixed use building...

HKM
Metrodome

Postby HKM » May 21st, 2021, 2:02 pm

Now that it is sold...how about tear it down, build arena with 1000' tower on top and extend Target Plaza across 394 to the new building...or build a new stadium and cap 394 with a mixed use building...
I get what you're saying but the arena wasn't sold, just the main lessee as the arena is still owned by the city. Still the 2nd oldest arena in the NBA (behind Madison Square Garden) but the reports earlier this week that the league is absolutely adding two teams via expansion fee (widely expected to be Seattle & Las Vegas, with Tampa Bay and Mexico City also likely of interest) is good news for keeping the Wolves & Lynx here. The global profile and continued international growth (particularly in Europe, Latin America, and Africa) of the NBA (the Timberwolves France twitter account has 14K followers) combined with 60+ regular-season home dates make a basketball arena a much smarter investment to me than an NFL stadium.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » May 21st, 2021, 2:40 pm

I get what you're saying but the arena wasn't sold, just the main lessee as the arena is still owned by the city. Still the 2nd oldest arena in the NBA (behind Madison Square Garden) but the reports earlier this week that the league is absolutely adding two teams via expansion fee (widely expected to be Seattle & Las Vegas, with Tampa Bay and Mexico City also likely of interest) is good news for keeping the Wolves & Lynx here. The global profile and continued international growth (particularly in Europe, Latin America, and Africa) of the NBA (the Timberwolves France twitter account has 14K followers) combined with 60+ regular-season home dates make a basketball arena a much smarter investment to me than an NFL stadium.
I know the city owns it and will continue to own it or any new stadium. Per an MPR conversation with Chris Farrell and a sport economist they said a new stadium will quickly be brought up given how updated this one is. Stadiums don't bring new revenue unless they're part of a larger development or investment. Which is why this needs to be more than a new arena/stadium. Unless you move the stadium, capping nearby 394 is one of the best opportunities to bring some development. Unless you place the arena within a tower which I'm not aware has been done elsewhere

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » May 22nd, 2021, 2:12 pm

An NBA arena as the base of a tower would be amazing.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » May 22nd, 2021, 7:08 pm

A new arena would be cool, as long as no public money is involved. 🙂 The renovation was lipstick on a pig and just another Glen Taylor failure.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » May 22nd, 2021, 9:45 pm

There are some examples of arenas being incorporated into larger developments. In Boston you can't even see the TD Garden from the outside because it's now wrapped in other buildings, including some taller ones. I'm not sure there are any arenas with an actual tower on top of them, though.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » May 23rd, 2021, 8:02 am

A tower on top of an arena is a bad idea. The lifespan of a tower is a lot greater than the lifespan of an arena. And the reuse potential of an old arena is almost nonexistent. Look at the troubles of the Memphis Pyramid. An arena as part of a larger development that includes a tower would work well.

Hero
Landmark Center

Postby Hero » May 23rd, 2021, 10:51 pm

How interesting. I had the same thought of placing a tower on the arena. My building would have the arena portion sunk underground and the concessions on the street level so the restaurants could be open to the street when the arena is not in use. With additional commercial on the skyway level.