Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Uptown46
Metrodome

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby Uptown46 » October 1st, 2012, 6:49 am

There was a plan by Ellerbe Becket to reuse 1 side of the Metrodome in 2008 for $853 Million. http://www.ellerbebecket.com/success/ne ... tion_.html
Maybe that's what you're remembering.

The last real Metrodome renovation plan I can recall is from way back in 2001 that would have cost $250 Million then (not exactly sure what that would be today with inflation). http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/f ... m_stadium/ Another rendering of that plan is here: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/snackeru/greet/ ... ovate2.jpg

Anyways back to Target Center!

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » October 1st, 2012, 8:09 am

Yes-- I think those are what I am remembering. Heinz Field cost $281 million in 1999, which is $369 million in 2012 dollars. Different market and a few years later for that older metrodome renovation, but still, can't imagine it would have been more than about $450 million in 2012 dollars, and that plan looked pretty darn good. Heck, Ford Field was only $550 million 2012 dollars in a larger market for a similarly valued franchise....why do we need to go $975 million?

Anyway, back to Target Center. Sorry for the sidetrack....I have a bad habit of managing to do that... :oops:

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 1st, 2012, 8:27 am

I recall during RT's hail mary to keep the stadium out of Roseville or wherever, he proposed a reuse. It came in at less money and less time than the suburban proposal, but he also floated the 3 sites for a new stadium as well, and we see where that all went.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 1st, 2012, 8:28 am

Yes-- I think those are what I am remembering. Heinz Field cost $281 million in 1999, which is $369 million in 2012 dollars. Different market and a few years later for that older metrodome renovation, but still, can't imagine it would have been more than about $450 million in 2012 dollars, and that plan looked pretty darn good. Heck, Ford Field was only $550 million 2012 dollars in a larger market for a similarly valued franchise....why do we need to go $975 million?

Anyway, back to Target Center. Sorry for the sidetrack....I have a bad habit of managing to do that... :oops:
Don't even bother trying to understand the mathematics of "construction price appreciation"......it has zero rules and makes zero sense!

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » October 1st, 2012, 5:23 pm

Awesome. Thank you.

I have been thinking recently, though, about how congested of a sports market MSP is. Denver is the only smaller 4-team market-- and it doesn't have the Big Ten. I live in Pittsburgh where new stadiums were done on the fly at reasonable cost to the city, county, and taxpayer. The end results-- while not as glamorous as Cowboys Stadium-- are beautiful and fit the city within its own means. I have to wonder if these huge investments that are being made in the MSP area in sports facilities/infrastructure is sustainable...

That's off-topic, though, sorry :)
miami-ft lauderdale is also a smaller media market with all 4. Granted, they have a larger population. Not sure how that works...

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 19th, 2012, 10:34 am

Not sure yet whether this news is good or bad:

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/174953991.html

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » October 19th, 2012, 10:49 am

Nice to see the cost coming down, but hopefully that isn't sacrificing quality. Rybak makes it sound like the initial cost was a number they just threw out there.

I went to the exhibition game last Saturday. They've redone the concession stands with some fake brick facing. It looks lame. They did finally get rid of the 20 year old tube televisions.

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

Postby SixOneTwo » October 19th, 2012, 10:54 am

Its disheartening to read that they are specifically lowering the investment in the renovation of the "skin." I understand that there are significant issues with the concourses, and the box office should be moved to the corner of 1st Ave/6th St, but the exterior needs significant improvement as well. Hopefully they are still able to do a complete overhaul of the exterior for less than $25mm.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 19th, 2012, 11:04 am

That's commendable they are finding less costly ways to renovate the arena, however, I think it is important to remember that was the same attitude that helped build our lovely Metrodome back in the early 80's. I do not think it would be wise to rehab the complex like a KMart special. The quality of the renovation has to be enduring. My main hope for recladding of the exterior continues to be to open it up with the large glass atrium on the corner of First Ave and 7th Street. That atrium will be a very important component of helping create more street level energy and visual excitement to our entertainment/sports district.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 25th, 2012, 8:04 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 25th, 2012, 8:55 pm

construction as soon as spring 2013 :shock: I'm not looking forward to that happening because that might mean my gym would be closing. Does anyone have and idea on the impact it would have on places like Lifetime and the Humphrey bar and grill (I think that's the name of it) Of course everything is still so far in the future it's hard to know but an educated guess sure would be appreciated! thanks

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 26th, 2012, 10:30 am

There is no talk of working on the athletic club. I'm sure they'll leave plenty of access points to your club. It does talk about a new bar, so I don't know what that means for Hubert's. The rest of the work seems to be focused on lobbies and concessions.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 26th, 2012, 1:21 pm

There is no talk of working on the athletic club. I'm sure they'll leave plenty of access points to your club. It does talk about a new bar, so I don't know what that means for Hubert's. The rest of the work seems to be focused on lobbies and concessions.

:D I like that... That would be great if they didn't have to close it down for construction. I only seen the main entrance but I guess they must have other fire exits they could switch to if need be.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » November 28th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 28th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Seems like the city wants the entire $50 million reduction to come from their share. Interesting approach...
Towns!

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » February 9th, 2013, 6:16 pm

Target Center's Life Time Fitness extends lease and agrees to spend millions of dollar renovating the gym...

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/190442961.html

There seems to be life!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 4th, 2013, 7:45 am

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 4th, 2013, 9:34 am

It makes you wonder if the Timberwolves are either positioning themselves to move to St. Paul, or at the very least using that possibility as leverage for their share of the tab here. After all, with Xcel available it's not like the Timberwolves <ital>have</ital> to pony up for Target Center renovations.

Does anybody know if there is a reason why the Timberwolves would benefit from paying a lot of money to upgrade the Target Center rather than moving to an already state-of-the-art arena nine miles away?

Personally, even though it might not the most fiscally responsible setup, I like having arenas in both cities. For all of the Target Center's flaws, I think that part of downtown would take a huge hit if it lost the Target Center and all of the events that come with it. It's already hard enough to populate Block E right across the street.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 5th, 2013, 10:15 am

I believe Ted Johnson of the Timberwolves when he says “It is a large complicated project”. It will take time and patience for this deal to get sealed. Lots of stakeholders in this development.

This is a critical project for our entertainment district. The building looks foreboding and severe with its introverted facade. The renovated lobby with the glass atrium and wall at 7th street and 1st Ave will have a dramatic impact on animating the street level at that corner. The interior rehab will make it much more user friendly. It enhances the development potential of Block E. A win win project for everyone.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 5th, 2013, 10:44 am

My gut says the recent news about allowing Target Center/Xcel Energy Center to join forces is to hedge against the risk that the Wolves (and to a lesser extent concert and event promoters) will not be able to play them against each other.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... -xcel.html
Maybe this is the only way to save the Target Center, so arena users can only bargain with one manager for both sites.