Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 30th, 2014, 9:33 pm

If this project doesn't happen for whatever reason I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. At the end of the day you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And for multiple reason's, interior and exterior, out Target Center is a sow's ear.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » November 4th, 2014, 12:35 pm

If this project doesn't happen for whatever reason I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. At the end of the day you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And for multiple reason's, interior and exterior, out Target Center is a sow's ear.
Inside there is nothing wrong with the Target Center aside from some amenities that could be put in. Outside it never fit into it's location.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 4th, 2014, 1:27 pm

The interior renovations are much more important for Target Center's future competitiveness and profitability. The place is old and dumpy and has a subpar seating bowl.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » November 4th, 2014, 1:38 pm

I was talking to some of the staff regarding the floor that they have and it sounds like the computer they have that runs the floor (remember, it raises and lowers for hockey, basketball, and other events), is so antiquated that when it broke down they had to shop garage sales to find one that would run the system. With the remodel the system and the floor will be upgraded, this may be one of the major factors in keeping the arena viable.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » November 5th, 2014, 3:43 pm

The interior renovations are much more important for Target Center's future competitiveness and profitability. The place is old and dumpy and has a subpar seating bowl.
Sure but I don't' think they are doing anything major structurally to the inside. Lighting and paint mostly. I think they were going to reconfigure some escalastors too no?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 5th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Nah, there is a lot more than that. Concessions, rest rooms, locker rooms, luxury suits, seating, etc. All that's being re-done.
Towns!

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » November 6th, 2014, 12:09 am

Arent there supposed to be a lot of new escalators? I thought I had heard that that was a major part of the budget.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 21st, 2015, 4:16 pm

http://targetcenterrenovation.org/plans.php

When you look at the "Plans" section of the Target Reno website, it says they are updating and reconstructing the blueprints and renderings. Just found that interesting, makes it sound like they're working on a different design.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » February 21st, 2015, 5:45 pm

http://targetcenterrenovation.org/plans.php

When you look at the "Plans" section of the Target Reno website, it says they are updating and reconstructing the blueprints and renderings. Just found that interesting, makes it sound like they're working on a different design.
I believe that information has been there since the picked the architect, which was maybe a year ago.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 20th, 2015, 2:08 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/297035591.html

A little update on this as a city committee plans to review plans to put more money into the stadium renovation to match inflation. At the same time, the amount of money the city planned for long term building improvements would drop from $50 million to $30 million. The last paragraph got me excited though
The proposed changes are subject to approval from the City Council, which must also sign off on a maximum project budget sometime this summer. If all goes to plan, the project would begin construction in late 2015 and finish in late 2016.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 20th, 2015, 2:12 pm

So is it not too late for the new council to shoot this down?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 20th, 2015, 2:26 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/297035591.html

A little update on this as a city committee plans to review plans to put more money into the stadium renovation to match inflation. At the same time, the amount of money the city planned for long term building improvements would drop from $50 million to $30 million. The last paragraph got me excited though
The proposed changes are subject to approval from the City Council, which must also sign off on a maximum project budget sometime this summer. If all goes to plan, the project would begin construction in late 2015 and finish in late 2016.
Very good news! Can't wait for this to get underway.
I just love all the work happening downtown (current & proposed) and throughout the metro.
It's a stark contrast to several other similar-sized Midwestern cities.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 20th, 2015, 2:29 pm

Wait... Late 2015 to early 2016, that's right in the heart of the NBA season. Where will the Wolves play?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 20th, 2015, 2:30 pm

Wait... Late 2015 to early 2016, that's right in the heart of the NBA season. Where will the Wolves play?
William's Arena... J/K.
I believe they have a plan to do all of this in conjunction with basketball season, IIRC.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 23rd, 2015, 4:49 pm

Funny how "where will ____ play" isn't ever a problem question for any of our sports teams. We have no shortage of facilities.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 23rd, 2015, 8:56 pm

So is it not too late for the new council to shoot this down?
Doubtful. Even Lisa Goodman, who is usually a staunch opponent of public subsidies for big projects like this, is supportive of increasing the construction budget. She is exactly on the mark with her comments in the StarTribune. This is the only chance to do it right which also means renovating the exterior. It is a terrible introverted fortress design that needs to open up and engage with the public realm better.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » March 24th, 2015, 1:50 pm

Funny how "where will ____ play" isn't ever a problem question for any of our sports teams. We have no shortage of facilities.
Hah I hadn't thought of that but you're very correct. Everyone has at least one sufficient backup option.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 24th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Makes sense that they need to do the majority of the interior work during the off-season.

Target Center's renovation unlikely to take shape until 2016
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... shape.html

... "They could work on the exterior of the building while events are going on," he said. "They could work on the 20,000 square feet we are vacating when we move our offices. That wouldn't impact our (2015-2016) season."

Other improvements — like seating, clubs, concourses and a new lobby — couldn't happen until 2016. ...

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » April 3rd, 2015, 12:21 pm

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » April 3rd, 2015, 1:41 pm

Wow! Finally it starts... Is there any information on the construction numbers this project will hire? Will all three stadiums construction overlap? (MLS, Vikings Stadium,and Target Center) Also with all the other towers being built what impact is there on the construction labor force? Are these workers typically the suburb house builders of before the bust that are finding work downtown or are we seeing out of state workers? Anyone have any thoughts on that issue? Or is this construction boom downtown not that big?