Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby twincitizen » June 21st, 2013, 2:49 pm

Without an agreement on funding, design, or anything really, I'm doubtful that any exterior construction would even begin before the MLB All-Star Game next July. I think most folks would prefer the existing building over scaffolding and sidewalk closures while we're showing off our downtown to the world. The window of opportunity for having a renovated Target Center (or Block e) in time for the All-Star Game has passed, sadly. Hopefully something will move into the Gameworks, Hard Rock Cafe, or Chevy's spaces in the next year. Hopefully Kieran's, O'Donovans, Huberts, and other 1st Ave establishments survive another winter too! I also hope the City gives 5th-8th Streets a good scrubbing/powerwashing next summer, as those will be the primary pedestrian corridors visitors will use to walk to Target Field from downtown hotels.

Kind of got on an ASG '14 tangent, but yeah, I can't imagine anything significant happening with Target Center in the next 12 months.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 21st, 2013, 2:59 pm

I can't see any way the Target Center would be remodeled by next summer unless the exterior renovation is far less dramatic than the original renderings suggested.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 22nd, 2013, 10:31 pm

Ding ding* the exterior is not what keeps the arena competitive.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 24th, 2013, 9:11 am

What's all this in item #3? http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/wm/WCMS1P-108423

A few mil of various expeditures on Target Center, including $642k for an operable floor.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 24th, 2013, 10:45 am

normal city outlays for upkeep of the arena looks like. outside of the renovation.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » July 22nd, 2013, 10:49 pm

Target Center Renovation Talks Hit a Snag (Obviously). The issue is the dollar amount and the terms to keep Target Center upgraded in the future.

KSTP Ran a story about it tonight. Heres the article and Video. http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3106182.shtml?cat=1

Hopefully they can get this resolved soon and the renovation can begin. They mentioned in the video that the funding will go away at the end of the year if not resolved. The city has to do something with their part the $50 Million.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 22nd, 2013, 11:01 pm

Can't fault the city for their position. But I hope this issue gets resolved and the renovation proceeds.The current Target Center is yet another example of a fortress-like building that needs a more open and transparent exterior to help make our city more pedestrian friendly and encourage street level activity.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 12th, 2013, 10:27 pm

There are some (recently?) updated renderings on the renovation website. The circulation of the building a proposed looks great.

http://targetcenterrenovation.org/plans.php
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » August 13th, 2013, 9:03 am

It's beyond time to get started with the renovation. However, I have a hunch, real work will not begin on this until after the MLB All Star Game at neighboring Target Field, to avoid the area being at the eye of a construction zone. Too bad, lost opportunity to put our best face forward to the nation next July.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » August 13th, 2013, 9:22 am

Too bad, lost opportunity to put our best face forward to the nation next July.
I'm sorry, what's in July?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 13th, 2013, 10:27 am

MLB All Star Game at Target Field.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » August 13th, 2013, 10:56 am

It's beyond time to get started with the renovation. However, I have a hunch, real work will not begin on this until after the MLB All Star Game at neighboring Target Field, to avoid the area being at the eye of a construction zone. Too bad, lost opportunity to put our best face forward to the nation next July.
Agreed. I hope that there is a chance that if this gets resolved within the month they could put workers at full force solely on the exterior and have it done in time. I don't know how much work is being done on the exterior so I have no idea if this would even be possible. The Downtown Journal interviewed Rybak last week and he discussed the Target Center Renovation negotiations but didn't specify if he anticipated construction to start this year.

Here is the link --- http://www.journalmpls.com/news/news/ry ... -utilities

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 13th, 2013, 12:03 pm

I understand the city's need to negotiate "tough" budget choices re: the renovation of this arena, but I worry that they will be too cheap and the result will be an inferior project. This needs to be done right or everyone will be back at the table negotiating an 800 million dollar proposal in 10 years.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » October 22nd, 2013, 1:03 am

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/10/2 ... tretch-on/

"MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Much has been publicized about the new Vikings stadium, but very little in regards to the Target Center.

When lawmakers approved a new Vikings stadium last year, part of the deal allowed the City of Minneapolis to pay for Target Center renovations."

Guess in a couple months all will get to see what 100 million will bring to the table.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » October 22nd, 2013, 9:04 am

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 22nd, 2013, 9:24 am

i think it will look fine after the rehab.
http://targetcenterrenovation.org/plans.php

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 22nd, 2013, 8:27 pm

I agree with at40man here. We are just putting lipstick on a pig, sure the $100 million renovation will be able to extend the "life" the arena a decade or so but it is only going end up costing us more in the long run. Plus being honest no amount of money is going to turn the exterior of Target Center into something that looks good.

I just looked at what other new NBA and NHL arena's cost right now and a new, modern, state of the art arena is going to be in the area of $400 million. I'm not figuring in the Barclay's Center because that's a different level completely. Sure everyone is saving about $300 million today but in a 10-15 years when it costs $500 million to build new, it isn't going to look like nearly as good as deal.

The biggest problem the Target Center faces is the fact is was built at the very tail end of a generation of NBA arena's that quickly became out of date. While it only opened in 1990 the only teams that play in older arenas are the Pistons, Bucks and Kings (all 1988); the Knicks (1968), and the Warriors (1966). It's worth noting that the Kings are getting a new arena, Madison Square Garden just received a $1 billion in renovations and the Warriors arena was completely renovated in 1998.

I think if the Wolves, the city, and the state all took the long term view now everyone could end up saving a combined couple hundred million dollars. Not to mention it would get rid of the hideous looking Target Center with something much better, and if everyone played their cards right I think Block E could be redone at the same time.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » October 22nd, 2013, 9:03 pm

Plus being honest no amount of money is going to turn the exterior of Target Center into something that looks good.
The link posted by Mullen shows what the exterior will end up looking like. With these being old renderings who knows in a couple months when they finish up all the negotiations if the exterior will still be changed so dramatically. I also would like to point out that the TC has some of the best sight lines for basketball. I have sat from as high as the second to last row. to as low as the 8th row, (forgot what letter row it was) and many many places in between. The bones of the TC are still very strong. Pretty much this whole renovation is going to be cosmetic. So I would say this is going to more then just lip stick on a pig. It is going to be full blown plastic surgery. That in and of itself will extend the lifespan at least a couple decades. Provided I am proven right when the real renderings come out they pretty much stay consistent with what we have seen so far. Also just so everybody is on the same page the Wolves, Lynx, and the rest of what the TC already does will continue as normal as it can be during the renovation.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 22nd, 2013, 9:49 pm

the chances are slim to none that the state would approve a new arena in the near term. and the wolves lease runs until 2025 i believe. so what's the alternative. knock the building down? that'll really fly with downtown business who depend on the wolves, lynx and various other non basketball events the building hosts. plus the lease runs at least until 2025. there is no way the city would allow that.

so enjoy your lipstick on a pig to go with your brown turd city center. yes minneapolis has some bad buildings just like every city in america. the majority of arenas are big behemoth structures without a ton or architectural merit. i like the new arena in brooklyn, though.

i agree the sightlines are good. i saw a gopher hockey game there once and it's a very good hockey set-up.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 22nd, 2013, 10:49 pm

I looked at the renderings and the part of the arena that's going get a new front looks great but we are still stuck with turd pretty much everywhere else. But I will certainly look at any new renderings with an open mind.

I would believe that the bones are still strong within the building as well but I am just worried that $100 million won't cover what amounts to basically completely rebuilding the entire seating bowl and concourses as well as putting on a new atrium. While I am not a professional architect, designer, or engineer I have seen what the results are when people cut corners and build sports arenas on the cheap compared to spending a more and doing it right the first time. You end up with the Target Center and Metrodome when build cheap, but when spend a little bit more you get the X or Target Field or Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

You also have to remember that when they renovate the seating bowl they sight lines are most likely going to change completely.

I was unaware that the lease for the Wolves runs through 2025 and you are correct that the city or state has little no incentive to tear down the Target Center and build new anytime soon.

I should also clarify that I have no inside info on Block E I was only speculating, but redoing Block E at the same time would simply make too much sense and be way to logical to do.