Renderings

Jfuss
Metrodome

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby Jfuss » June 4th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Vikings stadium approved. Now what?
5/25/12
By Frederick Melo

Full article can be found here. http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20 ... n-approved

Here is the information from the article regarding the Target Center renovation.

The stadium legislation allows Minneapolis to use some of its sales taxes for economic development projects such as fixing up the Target Center.

Rybak said he'll meet next week with the company that manages concerts and events at the arena, AEG, as well as representatives of the center's major tenants: the Timberwolves, the Lynx and Life Time Fitness.

About a third of Target Center events are basketball games. Ted Johnson, a senior vice president of marketing with the Timberwolves, said the team will negotiate a term sheet with the city governing rents and other considerations during renovations. "I would hope that the negotiations go fairly quickly," Johnson said.

"We believe there's possibly six to nine months of planning, and 14 to 18 months of renovation," Johnson said. He did not foresee the Target Center having to close. Instead, the work would unfold in stages, so visitors might enjoy a new food court or clubhouse while a nearby section of the center is being worked on.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » June 4th, 2012, 4:03 pm

So, if this remains on schedule, all of the renovations should be complete by Fall 2014. Hopefully, it could be done in time for Major League Baseball's 2014 All Star Game in early July. The summer classic is expected to be awarded to Minneapolis and played at the adjacent Target Field.

The design changes include towering glass walls to replace the fortress-like concrete cladding, offering passersby on 1st Avenue an enticing peek into the events. These changes along with the installation of state of the art moving graphics and lighting elements inside and outside of the building will create an inviting marquee and introduce a pulsating, Times Square quality that will transform the building into the nexus of the entertainment district.

ace
Block E

Postby ace » June 4th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Not sure why this image isn't included on their website (found it on the TC renovation facebook page), but this is the view from the plaza-

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 4th, 2012, 6:46 pm

I really like the two corners with transparent glass on the north side. Makes the complex much more open and engaged with the surrounding area and pedestrian. Would be even nicer if they could carry that transparency through to the other sides. I like the underlighting of the over hanging eaves. The rehab is not jaw dropping , but a good improvement over its current state. The interior looks much better too.

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 5th, 2012, 10:19 am

I agree, I like the renovation as far as we can see now. They need to correct the main entrance from 1st avenue... It is so frustrating being bottle necked up through that small opening. The bowl itself and the corridors, are not too bad, some modernization will just help the building over all. I would like to seem some improvement on the other two exterior corners. The side facing away from Target Plaza, is cold and uninviting, but it doesn't have to be, in my opinion.
^ 4-d

Nathaniel
Metrodome

Postby Nathaniel » June 10th, 2012, 11:06 pm

I can't help but think we're going to be sinking $127 million now into something we'll need to spend $300 million to renovate in 20 years. These renderings are non-starters for me. Let's do something simple: activate the streetscape with small retail shops that can survive during non-game days.

Will these just be empty glass walls during the 180 days when activities won't be going on at the Target Center?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » June 11th, 2012, 8:13 am

I get to the Target Center quite a bit! Even on non game/event days. When I trek from the east side of downtown to 1st Ave and 6th St, I would say this is second or third most active corner on my trip. Add up all the events, 81 Twins games, 41 Wolves games, dozens of concerts and the nightly shows at First Avenue and the one block stretch of 1st I would say is constantly buzzing. The area is far from a top down, sterile, pre-packaged "entertainment district". First Avenue organically grew to become the 6th largest by ticket sales concert venue in the world.

Although I would rather see development one block north of Block E.

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 11th, 2012, 11:25 am

I like the sobriety of your posts Nathaniel.

We should engage the pedestrian level at the Target Center with business that can survive. Maybe we can build out retail space under the large eaves there. That could maybe generate some dinero?
^ 4-d

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » June 11th, 2012, 12:34 pm

I understand the desire to make the street-scape "busier", but there isn't a lot of space to work with. About the only option would be right on 1st Ave. but, if you've been there for a large event, you don't want to take much a way from the lobby as it already seems too small. Everything else on street level is either parking/dock, corridors, mechanical, offices, or kitchens.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 12th, 2012, 6:25 am

that building is on a very tight site there isn't a lot of room for "retail spaces".

building a brand new arena is a non-starter. especially in light of all the sports stadium drama the past few years. the alternative is to lose all that business to st paul and the city won't let that happen.

they are making the best of the situation and positioning the building for another 20 years of service. it actually was a smart strategy to tie in the target center to the vikings bill.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 12th, 2012, 7:48 am

Yes, I really don't think this complex should try to have street level retail. It should be a "feeder"for other retail establishments in the surrounding area. I would rather see Block E redeveloped with people from Target Center ( and Target Field) eating or shopping there before or after an event.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » September 30th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Here are some updates on the renovation process...

From Sid Hartman...
Retired Twins President Jerry Bell has been asked to chair the city of Minneapolis’ implementation committee for the renovation of Target Center.

From T-wolves president Christ Wright...
“@Vikeologist: @WolvesPrez when will the renovation of the Target Center begin?”...Next summer!

“@pstraight: @WolvesPrez Are the plans for the renovations finalized?”no will be a while yet...

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » September 30th, 2012, 6:50 pm

That's good news. Next summer as in 2013?

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » September 30th, 2012, 7:15 pm

That's good news. Next summer as in 2013?
Yes, the summer of 2013.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » September 30th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Awesome. Thank you.

I have been thinking recently, though, about how congested of a sports market MSP is. Denver is the only smaller 4-team market-- and it doesn't have the Big Ten. I live in Pittsburgh where new stadiums were done on the fly at reasonable cost to the city, county, and taxpayer. The end results-- while not as glamorous as Cowboys Stadium-- are beautiful and fit the city within its own means. I have to wonder if these huge investments that are being made in the MSP area in sports facilities/infrastructure is sustainable...

That's off-topic, though, sorry :)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 30th, 2012, 9:40 pm

I think that you raise a great point.

Still, if the teams finally get the venue that's "right" for them, and if in the future we're able to do modest renovations and improvements to the venues rather than tearing them down and rebuilding from scratch, it may be sustainable long term. Hopefully what we're seeing with Target Center is the beginning of this, and hopefully the upcoming renovations turn Target Center into an active, engaged part of downtown.

Jeff
Block E

Postby Jeff » September 30th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Speaking of Sid, I don't see his statue in the renderings. Guess I'm still not quite sure why he has one to begin with.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » September 30th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Oh, I agree, MNdible...this is by far the most cost effective "replacement" facility we've seen. The economics of the NBA vs. those of the NFL or MLB plays a big part in that, I would imagine.

I'm not sour grapes about the Vikings stadium or anything, but I do remember seeing proposals for a renovated metrodome that would've cost around $700 million. I guess I'm just still wondering how those got axed/what was wrong with them? Too many seasons playing at TCF for the Wilfs' tastes?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 1st, 2012, 6:05 am

Not that I think anybody wants to revisit this, but I don't think there was ever a real proposal to renovate the Metrodome for $700. Not sure where that came from?