Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
matthew5080
Rice Park

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby matthew5080 » March 1st, 2016, 2:21 pm

It's not amazing by any means, but it's also not the worst out there. In my opinion, Target Center will look better than before.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » March 1st, 2016, 9:38 pm

I think it's going to be an awesome upgrade to an old building that is UAF today. It certainly isn't as beautiful as a shiny new, more glassy, arena would be. But it certainly is a prudent way to maintain an old building for many more years. I love how the panels look from Target Field, and how this will look next to the updated MC squared facade.
What is "UAF"?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 1st, 2016, 9:54 pm

"Ugly As Fuck", I do believe.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » March 2nd, 2016, 12:06 am

It is definitely better than before, but I do hope they study a few other options for the exterior cladding. The simplicity of the existing form is actually quite nice, and cladding it in a more refined material could do a lot to improve the building. The cladding is obviously one of the most important decisions, so the choice of roof and siding material will be really important.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » March 2nd, 2016, 12:44 pm

so the choice of roof and siding material will be really important.
The roof is a green roof, and has been for years. That won't be changing. I'd also have to believe that the cladding has been thoroughly investigated/vetted already - hence the reason they're proposing it. I really think this helps the whole building connect far better with the Warehouse District and Target Field than it ever did before. I think it's going to be very stunning. Like US Bank Stadium, the outside will always be hated by some and adored by others. I see the same situation with Target Center.

And yes, UAF is Ugly As Fuck.

Zaptons67
Block E

Postby Zaptons67 » March 3rd, 2016, 12:29 am

Is it my turn to say it's ugly and awful, or is there a line still? I don't want to cut the complaining line. :roll:

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » March 3rd, 2016, 8:31 am

I flipped back a few pages in the thread and couldn't find any kind of PDF or document that says what this material actually is (I've missed things before) so it is hard to get too up in arms about it without knowing what it is.

I've said before that the capacity exists to show "photo real" materials so if materials aren't shown that way, then it was a choice that was likely driven by the desire for flexibility.

As for the corner opening, I think it's great. I used the Lifetime Fitness at that location when it was still called the "Northwest Athletic Club." <old people alert> That end/corner of the building was terrible (given how much activity occurred there). These renderings show a massive upgrade in terms of opening a very closed and inward-looking building to the street.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 3rd, 2016, 8:43 am

If I recall correctly during the original presentation of this design they wanted to use a type of material that mimics the colors of the iron range geology. The way the Twins stadium uses Minnesota Dolomite. I don't think they were going to use actual stone but metal paneling in those colors.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » March 3rd, 2016, 10:26 am

It's copper.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 3rd, 2016, 10:29 am

I heard it's zinc

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 3rd, 2016, 10:37 am

Copper on a building that size would be a very large amount of $$$. I'm with Grant on Zinc as the exterior.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » March 3rd, 2016, 11:08 am

Copper on a building that size would be a very large amount of $$$. I'm with Grant on Zinc as the exterior.
If it is zinc, then the renderings are definitely off because zinc is nowhere near that warm.

http://www.vmzinc-us.com/zinc-basics/su ... olors.html

If it is copper (which would be off the charts expensive), then they'd have to take measures to keep it from experiencing patina. It *could* be anodized but it would be hard to get that much warmth/variation.

Could be anodized aluminum (but those colors are still pretty warm for that). Seems like the only way to do this economically (with this range of colors) would be painted aluminum.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 3rd, 2016, 1:02 pm

Probably anodized-
The applicant is proposing to re-clad the building with a copper-colored rain screen system
comprised of articulated metal panels. Said panels have ridges and valleys with varying vertical widths to provide dimension on the façade.
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 171830.pdf

I'd guess its like the 4Marq podium material, but horizontal.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » March 3rd, 2016, 1:12 pm

Probably anodized-
The applicant is proposing to re-clad the building with a copper-colored rain screen system
comprised of articulated metal panels. Said panels have ridges and valleys with varying vertical widths to provide dimension on the façade.

Clearer. Sounds like Dri-Design metal panel similar to what was used on Lime, Brunsfield, etc. It's a good material. I guess you can put me down for a -1 for now.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » March 4th, 2016, 10:12 am

Probably anodized-

Clearer. Sounds like Dri-Design metal panel similar to what was used on Lime, Brunsfield, etc. It's a good material. I guess you can put me down for a -1 for now.
That is a "plus one".

Well played admins.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » March 18th, 2016, 11:32 am

It looks like it's a go. This eyesore is finally getting some love. Will it look great when done? No, but it will be much improved and I'm looking forward to it. Those powder blue circle vents towards the top always bothered me. Good riddance to those!

http://www.startribune.com/target-cente ... 372569901/

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » March 18th, 2016, 11:33 am

You can see the future?

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » March 18th, 2016, 11:40 am

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 18th, 2016, 11:58 am

Curious what the green panels across the top of the ground level will be made of? I really doubt green granite that is for sure!

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » March 18th, 2016, 12:11 pm

You're a snarky one, Grant.