Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: The Interchange (At Target Field)

Postby mister.shoes » February 13th, 2013, 11:47 am

I quite like that idea!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 13th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Anything they can do to camouflage that beast is welcome in my book. Of course, now that I have uttered those words I'm sure the county will pick something that is hideous and the garbage burner itself would look better...just a guess.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » February 13th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Anything they can do to camouflage that beast is welcome in my book. Of course, now that I have uttered those words I'm sure the county will pick something that is hideous and the garbage burner itself would look better...just a guess.
:lol:

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » February 13th, 2013, 8:03 pm

The 2020 partners posted a presentation by the U of M awhile back in regards to possible landscaping and design ideas for the HERC building.

http://the2020partners.com/docs/HERC_IN ... K_YARD.pdf

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 13th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Because it's large and complex - not nearly as small or simple as you're implying.
But HOW? I have the same impression as he does, and don't know where the $80 million is going for what essentially looks like a glorified train station. Obviously it's more than that, but it doesn't look like the 2nd coming (or Minneapolis' answer to) the Depot in St. Paul.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 13th, 2013, 8:17 pm

I share your cynicism, especially considering what passes for art lately. I can imagine a giant, terrible graffiti mural...whoopie.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 13th, 2013, 10:20 pm

I share your cynicism, especially considering what passes for art lately. I can imagine a giant, terrible graffiti mural...whoopie.
Giant terrible graffiti mural... jeez... you sound like every critic of every new art form since the beginning of time... Photography!? Terrible... Color Photography EVEN WORSE... Consider the fact that historically most people's art isn't considered art until after they are dead.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 13th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Giant terrible graffiti mural... jeez... you sound like every critic of every new art form since the beginning of time... Photography!? Terrible... Color Photography EVEN WORSE... Consider the fact that historically most people's art isn't considered art until after they are dead.
I'm a Cynical Sally! Do whatever you want in the confines of the Walker, of course, but I feel like public, visible (taxpayer-supported?) art ought to be held to a higher standard than it often is. I won't beat my dead Guthrie horse.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 14th, 2013, 10:06 am

Quick question about the road rerouting for this project. I drove through here last night on the way home and it was a mess!

link to map for ref: http://www.theinterchange.net/images/st ... ge_MAP.jpg

Is 5th St N eventually going to reopen as a two way street? The new right turn from 6th Ave to 5th St is very tight, but that might be only because half of 5th seems to be torn up for construction.

Can they repair 6th Ave north of 5th St? It is a mix of cobblestone and asphalt like many of the roads around the North Loop. They are mostly horrible!

The Holiday really seems squeezed in now. If they had double the space, I think they would still be full and busy.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 14th, 2013, 10:52 am

I bet there are people out there who think that the blank painted wall and smokestacks are "art."

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 14th, 2013, 1:29 pm

I'm a Cynical Sally! Do whatever you want in the confines of the Walker, of course, but I feel like public, visible (taxpayer-supported?) art ought to be held to a higher standard than it often is. I won't beat my dead Guthrie horse.
Imagine trying to do your best to provide relevant art for the public with the amount of money the public is able to put into it before you're too critical. If you want to bash a private entity for public art go for it, but this is a little different. Graffiti artists happen to put just as much time and effort into their work as others. Also, a lot of the public can really relate to it being it's often community based subject matter, meaning it does a great job of creating civic pride in certain cultural groups in the city that might not already appreciate the city as much as other groups do. It's the HERC is a perfect canvass for such art. I would love to see the HERC covered in Graffiti art which I imagine isn't far from being the newest version of 'action painting' (once not considered 'relevant art') which could also look good up there.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 15th, 2013, 12:35 am

I'd love that!! That's a piece that's hard for me to take my eyes off of!

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » February 20th, 2013, 3:34 pm

So with the Interchange extending the light rail tracks, is it pretty much assumed that the Southwest Line will happen? I also agree with the other poster that this seems to be an odd area for people to want to gather and hang out other than for twins games as there is little to nothing to do in the area past the Interchange.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 20th, 2013, 8:43 pm

...at the moment. The North Loop is booming, as you well know. There are two apartment buildings proposed for this very area—one behind the Holiday and one next to Fulton Brewery. As there are no parks in the North Loop, this plaza is the closest green space for those potential residents. This might seem like an odd place *now*, but I feel it's pretty forward-thinking.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 20th, 2013, 8:53 pm

Yeah. It will actually be in the center of things in 2135 when the garbage burner goes away.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » February 21st, 2013, 7:38 am

graffiti art would be appropriate for a garbage burner. i recommend we commission a Banksy similar to this:
or this:

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » February 21st, 2013, 9:17 pm

From a few days ago:
Interchange Construction by MSPdude, on Flickr
My flickr photos.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » February 22nd, 2013, 12:19 am

graffiti art would be appropriate for a garbage burner. i recommend we commission a Banksy similar to this:
or this:

LIKE :D

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 22nd, 2013, 11:07 am

Not as big of a fan, think it looks tacky and only adds to the filth on the building rather than detracting from it.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 22nd, 2013, 12:36 pm

Dudes, please stop including photos when you use the quote feature. Take the extra 2 seconds and delete the images from your replies, everyone will appreciate not having to scroll through the same photos 2-3 times