Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
IllogicalJake
Target Field

Re: Target Field Station

Postby IllogicalJake » April 29th, 2014, 2:28 pm

E) a giant "canopy" with no weather protection
From the looks of it, it wouldn't be very difficult to add a plexiglass roof to the "canopy". I'd wager that will happen at some point (once enough people complain).
Has anyone confirmed that this isn't the plan? For all the snarking I see about it having no protection, I'm pretty sure the render I saw showed a pretty obvious "shiny" layer on top of the structure.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Come on guys, the canopy is a decorative element. There are actual human-scaled shelters with (partial) protection from the elements underneath it. Do you really think a canopy that high up would provide any protection whatsoever from wind, sideways rain/snow, etc.?

See photos: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=18& ... 500#p50259

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 29th, 2014, 3:30 pm

It looks like a caricature of a Victorian Britain train shed. Caricature: my favorite architectural vernacular.

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » April 29th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Come on guys, the canopy is a decorative element. There are actual human-scaled shelters with (partial) protection from the elements underneath it. Do you really think a canopy that high up would provide any protection whatsoever from wind, sideways rain/snow, etc.?

See photos: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=18& ... 500#p50259
Yes, in many cases it would provide shelter. Rain and snow is not always sideways.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » April 30th, 2014, 6:51 am

A good start if they want to compare to grand central station would be an enclosed shelter so you don't have to wait for a train in -20 degree temps.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 30th, 2014, 8:09 am

I hear Grand Central also serves commuter trains with more than 5 frequencies a day.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » April 30th, 2014, 8:24 am

It also has actual amenities: news stands, restaurants, convenient shops, bathrooms, waiting lounges, flower shops, actual ATTENDANTS, ticket windows that are staffed, etc. I continue to be baffled by Metro Transit's unwillingness to even put a soda machine at a station, never mind something legitimately useful like a coffee shop or newspaper stand.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 30th, 2014, 8:41 am

Good thing there's a Caribou opening real soon.

It was reported here:
If United Properties winds up building a10-story building, there could be as much as 280,000 square feet of space total, Kayla Bromelkamp, a Hennepin County spokeswoman, said in an email. Planners think the site will allow for about 30,000 square feet in retail development opportunities. In addition, there is already a 2,370-square-foot Caribou Coffee building on one of the parcels that will pay rent to the county

Read more: http://finance-commerce.com/2014/04/cou ... z30NgJ46Rj

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 30th, 2014, 11:17 am

Is anyone familiar enough with green roofs to be able to tell what's going on with the roof of the new HERC administration building? The past couple days they've been installing what appears to be trays of sod rather than rolling it out. I assume there's some sort of special drainage system involved, but it's so hard to see from the webcams.

Speaking of webcams, there's a new Angle 4 that gives a nice view of the amphitheater from a lower elevation than before. It appears to be a pretty good approximation of what an LRT rider would see when standing on the EB platform.

I know there's a lot of legit criticism and well-deserved snark around this project, but I'm excited to see how it turns out. When the trees have grown a bit and have leaves and there are people lounging in the grassy area, it will be a beautiful space. I think it's going to be a real neat asset to the neighborhood. My brother hung out at Fulton before the Twins' game on Friday; in a month if he were to do that again, he'd be able to wander through here to get to TF. Pretty sweet, I'd say.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 30th, 2014, 11:30 am

They're probably using a green roof system like this.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 30th, 2014, 11:34 am

Hey, that's awesome. Thanks for the link. Cool stuff!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » April 30th, 2014, 12:38 pm

I think it's actually this product as it has been used quite often in this area.
http://liveroof.com/system-overview/

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 30th, 2014, 12:55 pm

I think you're exactly right. You can see the profile of the white "Soil Elevator™" on the edges of the modules in the webcam.

Thanks to both of you. I didn't know such a system existed. Very neat.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 30th, 2014, 5:24 pm

I got an email addressing the bike connection to Cedar Lake Trail from someone pretty involved with Target Field:
I thought you might be interested in some quick history: The ballpark project team worked hard to create space for the trail through the ballpark property. We paid to shift the BNSF and the Northstar tracks to the northwest to create a workable alignment for the trail, and we demolished and redesigned the 5th Street bridge abutment to allow space for all three uses at the pinch point near the Ford Center. We also worked with Hennepin County to transform 3rd Avenue into Twins Way from 7th Street to 12th to create a better environment for bikers and pedestrians coming into downtown from the Cedar Lake Trail. You can see the before and after photos here:

http://www.ballparkauthority.com/Twins_Way.html

The City of Minneapolis was responsible for the design and construction of the Cedar Lake Trail project and the City identified creating a connection from the trail to the Northstar platform as a priority in 2007. In the Fall of 2008 Mayor Rybak announced plans for $3 million in City public realm investments in the vicinity of the ballpark, and the trail connection to the Northstar platform was listed as the City’s #2 priority. The City faced state budget cuts in the Spring of 2009 and as a consequence they cut the allocation for these investments to $1.5 million—but the connection remained a high priority. Attached is the graphic City Public Works put together in April of 2009. By the time the City completed Phase III of the trail in the Spring of 2011, they had elected not move forward on creating a connection from the Cedar Lake Trail to the Northstar platform.

[...]

Regarding next steps on a potential trail connection to the Northstar platform, my suggestion would be to check in with your colleagues at Minneapolis Public Works. In addition to budget constraints, they may have encountered operational and liability issues with creating a public crossing over BNSF’s tracks in that location.
Also, here's a pic of the platform area, which does include some heating:

Nick Magrino
[email protected]

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » May 1st, 2014, 7:20 am

Attached is the graphic City Public Works put together in April of 2009.
Could you post this?

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » May 1st, 2014, 8:38 am

Thanks for the info Nick, very interesting. The station and surrounding development is nice, just definitely not worth the price tag for what it is IMO. Also find it strange that an 80M transit project hangs what should be a 10k passage connecting a major trail on the city's budget. The only true benefit outside of the aesthetics I can find on the website is the open space and amphitheater. However, the gathering place in this neighborhood is really INSIDE the stadium... Who says "hey it's a nice day, let's go sit down closer to the incinerator?" The $2m price tag for a north loop park is a much better use of funds. I know, I know, the interchange is federally funded and all that so whatever.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 1st, 2014, 9:46 am

Thanks for the info Nick, very interesting. The station and surrounding development is nice, just definitely not worth the price tag for what it is IMO. Also find it strange that an 80M transit project hangs what should be a 10k passage connecting a major trail on the city's budget. The only true benefit outside of the aesthetics I can find on the website is the open space and amphitheater. However, the gathering place in this neighborhood is really INSIDE the stadium... Who says "hey it's a nice day, let's go sit down closer to the incinerator?" The $2m price tag for a north loop park is a much better use of funds. I know, I know, the interchange is federally funded and all that so whatever.
The Incinerator is in effect just another large building. Especially where the ampitheater will be located (I don't believe trucks will be entering or leaving in that area). So basically you could rephrase your question to "Hey it's a nice day, let's go sit down in a public space outside like we do at any other public space downtown." I've never smelled anything foul. There isn't any health problems as has been sited in studies. People are moving into the area so there must not be too many concerns over it.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 1st, 2014, 9:56 am

The Incinerator is in effect just another large building. Especially where the ampitheater will be located (I don't believe trucks will be entering or leaving in that area). So basically you could rephrase your question to "Hey it's a nice day, let's go sit down in a public space outside like we do at any other public space downtown." I've never smelled anything foul. There isn't any health problems as has been sited in studies. People are moving into the area so there must not be too many concerns over it.
My thoughts exactly. I would venture to believe that most people have no idea what that building even does! We do, because we are clearly more inquisitive folk, but to the average person, it's "just another large building." There are no odors (except on hot/humid days, when the garage door opens to allow trucks into the facility - which, IIRC, they don't do during baseball games - but even if they do, it's not some bad neighbor), and it certainly beats having trash dumped into a landfill.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » May 1st, 2014, 10:14 am

The Incinerator is in effect just another large building.
My thoughts exactly. I would venture to believe that most people have no idea what that building even does! We do, because we are clearly more inquisitive folk, but to the average person, it's "just another large building."

Feel free to call this another large building, and I will agree that the smell from afar is overblown (as was the case when Target Field was built). But get that close and there are most definitely unpleasant odors. They were present this morning.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 1st, 2014, 6:58 pm

Attached is the graphic City Public Works put together in April of 2009.
Could you post this?
This is from April 2009:

Nick Magrino
[email protected]