Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Re: The Interchange (At Target Field)

Postby Le Sueur » August 19th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Perhaps you will hate me for sharing this link because of all the time you will spend here:
Wouldn't be so bad if I had the bandwidth to really enjoy it :( . Great source though, thanks for sharing!

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » August 20th, 2012, 1:52 am

Ended up spending the last 4 hours looking at all the old breweries, mills, and railyards that are long gone.

Thanks for the link!

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall

Postby dmdhashw » August 20th, 2012, 4:21 pm

Interchange by dmd.hashw, on Flickr

Interchange by dmd.hashw, on Flickr

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 21st, 2012, 8:40 am

Thanks for all the photos. I still don't understand how this is considered an "interchange." It's just for light rail and the only multi-level aspect about it is that foot traffic takes place below the trains.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 21st, 2012, 9:22 am

Yeah, it's a bridge, next to some escalators that go down to northstar. A real train station on the Northstar platform will be more important.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » August 21st, 2012, 9:53 am

Yeah, it's a bridge, next to some escalators that go down to northstar. A real train station on the Northstar platform will be more important.
just to clarify, when you say "real train station" you mean inter-city rail, right?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 21st, 2012, 10:51 am

Of all the projects at The Crystal Court exhibit, this is my favorite. A total game changer for the transformation of west end of downtown. Will be the Minneapolis version of Grand Central Station.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 21st, 2012, 12:27 pm

I agree, this is going to be such a great asset! Just keeping in mind it's phase I right now It only has 2 lines running to it, but in the next 10-15 years it's supposed to have 5+ more (hopefully).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 21st, 2012, 1:40 pm

I'm confused because St. Paul is rebuilding a station at their historic depot and that one actually looks like a "real" central station, whereas this one looks like a glorified station stop. Why do the cities need two, and why didn't we just come together as a region and build ONE magnificent central train station (don't ask me where)?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 21st, 2012, 2:08 pm

Because it's apparently too much to ask to have the national transit (Amtrac and bus service) and regional transit in the same location...
My other answer would be that St Paul can't turn every building into housing so they might as well have at least one that serves another purpose 8-)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 21st, 2012, 2:28 pm

I'm confused because St. Paul is rebuilding a station at their historic depot and that one actually looks like a "real" central station, whereas this one looks like a glorified station stop. Why do the cities need two, and why didn't we just come together as a region and build ONE magnificent central train station (don't ask me where)?
I'd argue that the difference is that Hennepin County is building the service first and the station second. I think this phased approach makes a lot more sense, as long as you're doing adequate planning to prepare for future service.

It's going to be pretty embarassing to have the glorious Union Depot being served by two trains a day. They're going to have to crank up the classical music to cover up the crickets.

Oh, and we did build one central train station. It's called the Midway Amtrak Station.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 21st, 2012, 3:11 pm

I guess I only realized recently that Amtrak won't be stopping at The Interchange (due to the routing).

I mean it technically could, but trains would have to run in "reverse" from Chicago to Minneapolis (via St. Paul's Ayd Mill southerly route), then pull out of The Interchange facing forward for the rest of the trip out west.

OR I suppose trains could pull into SPUD, run backwards to The Interchange (via Pierce Butler area northerly route), then leave The Interchange facing forward again.

The second option makes the most sense in retrospect. However, I have no idea if Amtrak engines can even run in reverse like Northstar trains can.

None of this would matter for High Speed Rail since the line would presumably terminate at The Interchange (or SPUD :x ).

But I digress...yes it is frustrating that Amtrak will be at one location (SPUD), Greyhound at another (Hawthorne/Ramp A) and LRT & commuter trains at another (Interchange). #planning

mulad

Postby mulad » August 21st, 2012, 4:11 pm

The train would only need to go in reverse for the distance between Target Field and the junction in Nordeast. Think of it like a car pulling into and out of a driveway. Kind of slow, but it works.

BNSF probably wouldn't like the added time occupying track, though a few extra short stretches of track and some new switches could alleviate problems pretty easily in the junction area (well, I think it's an easy fix -- I'm not sure if others would find problems with the way I'd change things).

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 21st, 2012, 5:54 pm

I have not seen anything regarding this that once made me think it will be anything like Grand Central. More like a slightly spiffed up light rail stop next to a poorly done commuter rail that barely has any trains running.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » August 21st, 2012, 7:14 pm

I'd argue that the difference is that Hennepin County is building the service first and the station second. I think this phased approach makes a lot more sense, as long as you're doing adequate planning to prepare for future service.

It's going to be pretty embarassing to have the glorious Union Depot being served by two trains a day. They're going to have to crank up the classical music to cover up the crickets.

Oh, and we did build one central train station. It's called the Midway Amtrak Station.
The SPUD will be under served Amtrak wise for a building its size. But it will have buses and light rail serving all day long as well. And having Amtrak in Midway doesn't really do much for the area. Whereas having it downtown will bring more activity and energy to a stuggling commercial area. Likewise I think an attractive building like the Interchange will make using the light rail and Northstar lines more attractive in downtown Minneapolis.

And yes Amtrak already has a station called Midway Station. Just like the Vikings already have a stadium called the Metrodome. Same place the Gophers and Twins once played. It's the story of our metro. One facility for one organization. The days of having modest, cheap, one size fits all buildings has long passed by for the Twin Cities. :P

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 21st, 2012, 7:56 pm

Midway is practically suburban in its location, it's pretty pathetic as a train station, and it's definitely useless in bringing you to a location where care use is optional, or even downright painful.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 21st, 2012, 8:04 pm

The SPUD will be under served Amtrak wise for a building its size. But it will have buses and light rail serving all day long as well. And having Amtrak in Midway doesn't really do much for the area. Whereas having it downtown will bring more activity and energy to a stuggling commercial area. Likewise I think an attractive building like the Interchange will make using the light rail and Northstar lines more attractive in downtown Minneapolis.

And yes Amtrak already has a station called Midway Station. Just like the Vikings already have a stadium called the Metrodome. Same place the Gophers and Twins once played. It's the story of our metro. One facility for one organization. The days of having modest, cheap, one size fits all buildings has long passed by for the Twin Cities. :P
I was being sarcastic about Midway, obviously (I thought). My point was that trying to serve the Metro with a single location doesn't make sense. I'm glad that St. Paul has a downtown station (although I think it's absurd how much of our limited transit dollars were spent renovating it), and Minneapolis should as well.

Yes, SPUD will have buses and LRT serving it, but aside from the 300 people a day boarding the Empire Builder (most of whom will probably drive there), none of these people will have any reason to actually enter the station.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » August 22nd, 2012, 2:01 am

I think they are counting on retail to avoid the emptiness you are talking about. risky though...

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 22nd, 2012, 8:05 am

I think they are counting on retail to avoid the emptiness you are talking about. risky though...
Agreed. Does anyone know if the project definitely includes retail/commercial elements? I.e. the "Bike Bar" pictured in some of the renderings? Or are they hoping the interchange itself will stir the future development?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 22nd, 2012, 12:20 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but nothing in the drawings or model show me that retail is a part of this project. My assumption is that it will be left up to building owners and developers in surrounding properties to provide that aspect to the project.
Since this is technically phase 1, maybe another phase would include retail?