Target Field Station (the Hotel) & Target Field Station (the Station)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
writruth
Nicollet Mall

Re: The Interchange (At Target Field)

Postby writruth » June 25th, 2012, 12:58 pm

Wow. "Surfboard" platform covering appears to be a copy of the other design.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 25th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Just saw this and noticed some similarities to the renderings on the last page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cg1_expo_exterior.jpg
Looks pretty for a picture, but horrible when it comes to the street level/pedestrian experience...

mulad

Postby mulad » June 25th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Yeah, elevated stations tend to suck at that. I also see that they have a problem with bikes that could easily be solved by adding a couple of racks...

The Interchange's roof wouldn't be quite that big. I do wonder a bit about how snow/ice would come off in the winter. I think the Interchange rendering looks good, but care should be taken to make sure the roof is functional as well as pretty.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 25th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Like the dangerous winged roof on the downtown library that hurls sheets of ice at passerby?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 25th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Eesh. Yeah. My architect uncle also always used to talk about the roofs of Frank Lloyd Wright's homes -- apparently they leaked a lot (though perhaps that was due a bit to the technology of the time rather than shape...)

web

Postby web » June 25th, 2012, 7:12 pm

architects are not always practical............. :lol:

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 26th, 2012, 12:08 am

One thing I noticed is that people coming from Northstar will have a bit longer ways to walk to connect to LRT. Also the center space looks boring. Perhaps a nice fountain would add some entertainment for the senses. :) Also I think the giant M (which probably will be a giant T) looks nice at first sight but would have been better if it was a clock tower ( I always love clocks!) with a smaller 1/3 the size white strip with the T logo. Other than that I doubt the space will be used outside of game days. :lol: Maybe during winter the local children will make snowmen, not much usage besides that.

Maybe it's me but does this seem like it's more of a "battle" between Minneapolis's Target Field vs St. Paul Union Depot to look more attractive for any future high speed rail (Zip Line, Northern Lights Express ect.) Both stations seem to have ? been focused on very early before they seemed like their was the need to build them yet. Any opinions?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 26th, 2012, 6:28 am

they are bookend multi-modal hubs. the great rail cities have multiple train stations. we have two cores that need to be served.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 26th, 2012, 7:05 am

they are bookend multi-modal hubs. the great rail cities have multiple train stations. we have two cores that need to be served.
I agree, having the 2 station will compliment each other. Those in the east metro will go to St. Paul and the west metro will go to The interchange for connections. Once the SW line is in an going that will make a world of difference for both cities.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 26th, 2012, 4:01 pm

approved today by the county board. web site's been updated.
http://www.theinterchange.net/

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 26th, 2012, 4:27 pm

So, if I understand the location correctly, this will require knocking down the public works building located at 417 N 5th, correct? Not suggesting that's bad, just clarifying.

Also, if that's the case, what are they going to do with the existing tracks that run parallel to N 5th right now? The design shows the new tracks in a very different place.

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » June 26th, 2012, 4:38 pm

New renderings courtesy of theinterchange.net...

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » June 26th, 2012, 4:44 pm

A couple more new renderings courtesy of theinterchange.net...

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 26th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Is that a tower for Metro Transit I see? That's pretty slick! Wonder how likely or plausible that is....

Am I missing something, or does this look like a glorified rail STATION as opposed to a transit center? I don't see where multiple lines can come in and/or turn around. I don't see a "Grand Central Station" type meeting area. I don't see what costs $70-$100M about this project (unless it includes a new office tower).

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » June 26th, 2012, 7:53 pm

If you are talking about the tower with the M on it, that is just decorative, and will likely be replaced with the circle T logo of Metro Transit and the new Metro branding.

As has been mentioned before, this is just the first phase of the Interchange. It will allow both the Blue and Green Lines to better serve the station, especially during Twins games. The current light rail platform barely has enough room for queuing passengers for the Hiawatha Line after games, it would be chaos to try to get light rail passengers to their trains potentially going in 4 different directions in the future. With just Hiawatha and Central, the current station may be usable, but once Central opens the disruption of closing the tail tracks for construction would be much greater. Phase 2 of the project will focus on improvements for the passenger rail platforms, potentially with a station building built over the current Northstar platform next to the Ford Center.

As for the cost, it includes demolition, a new elevated light rail station, a large plaza, as well as significantly more tail track space, at least some of which will be elevated. Some streets will also be realigned.
My flickr photos.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 27th, 2012, 9:55 am

So the LRT platform will be raised over a public plaza, and then there will be a large staircase leading up to the stadium? I hadn't gathered that from earlier pictures, but if so I really like it.

Where does the Northstar train fit into all of this? I'm only seeing that one platform area.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 27th, 2012, 11:58 am

Seems like this would be a much better idea if all or nearly all service could through-route between the two stations, which it cannot. Northstar and NLX won't be able to through-route to SPUD, and Amtrak won't be able to through-route between SPUD and destinations northwest.

Too bad, since Great Northern Depot could through-route even though it has been nice to get rid of riverfront trackage. Maybe an option like this would be feasible in 50 or 100 years... http://goo.gl/maps/Fxkv

mulad

Postby mulad » June 27th, 2012, 12:20 pm

So the LRT platform will be raised over a public plaza, and then there will be a large staircase leading up to the stadium? I hadn't gathered that from earlier pictures, but if so I really like it.

Where does the Northstar train fit into all of this? I'm only seeing that one platform area.
That's Phase 2, not in any of these renderings. It'll be in the trench where the existing platform is. The plan is to narrow that platform a bit and add a second one just southeast of it. 4 tracks is all that's really planned there.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 27th, 2012, 12:22 pm

4 tracks? doesn't seem like it would accommodate growth in the future more than 1 or 2 other commuter lines.

mulad

Postby mulad » June 27th, 2012, 12:29 pm

They claim it would be capable of 60+ trains/day with that configuration. The two/three existing tracks would still run-through, so there may be opportunities for more platforms on the southwest side of Target Field, but the new tracks next to the existing platform would be stubs.

The Cedar Lake Trail kind of gets in the way, too. At the moment they're assuming that the trail will absolutely, positively be maintained, and the Dock Street Apartments will probably prevent doing much more either.

And, well, with the way we rebuild stadiums in this country, who knows if Target Field still be needed by the time it matters.