IDS Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
trkaiser
Landmark Center

IDS Center

Postby trkaiser » June 4th, 2012, 9:04 pm

Opened in 1974, the IDS Center is the tallest building in Minnesota at a height of 792 feet.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Re: IDS Center

Postby trkaiser » June 4th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Does anybody know why the lights atop the IDS Center have been dark for the last few months?

eluko
Metrodome

Postby eluko » June 4th, 2012, 10:21 pm

I'm not sure, but back when they were on they would always shut off before every other tower which made me think the caretaker was old and cranky. Maybe he retired and never told the new guy where the switch was. :shock:

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 4th, 2012, 11:14 pm

They may have been out for spring bird migration?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 4th, 2012, 11:41 pm

Kinda silly, but I emailed the contact person on the IDS' website to ask what the deal is because it's been buggin me for a while. Yes, they were off for the birds, but in the meantime, they also are in the process of upgrading to more efficient LED lights. They should be back on in mid July. It'd be pretty neat if they allowed for some sort of complexity like Target did when they upgraded. No pictures or art, but sparkling like the Eiffel Tower might mix it up on holidays or something.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 4th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Also, I heard Yogurt Lab will be opening in the Crystal Court. I hope they will be open after office hours because it would definitely save my me and my fiancé the trip all the way to the Excelsior Blvd. location. (Yogurt Lab is def our favorite of the new wave of these shops...)
Last edited by PhilmerPhil on June 4th, 2012, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 4th, 2012, 11:46 pm

Sean, your comment made me laugh as I assumed you were joking! However your right, birds use the stars to navigate there migration during night time. Wow I don't know about birds that much but I would never had thought they had the eye's to do that... always something to learn!

WCCO Did a short video report on the event guess many cities also have a "lights out" event

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/03/0 ... ory-birds/

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 5th, 2012, 9:05 am

Maybe the city can pass a law only allowing birds to migrate thru the city during the day. Otherwise, they can take the loop and go around the city. :)

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 5th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Thanks for starting a thread on the IDS.

I would love to see some construction photos if anyone has them. I've only found one or two on the MN Historical Society photo database. And those were of its foundations and digging. Anyone?

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 6th, 2012, 11:01 am

Tried copying a photo, didn't work. Go to Google Images, and type in IDS Center Construction. Only 1 pic on there that I found, it is when construction was about half way done.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 6th, 2012, 3:44 pm

Tried copying a photo, didn't work. Go to Google Images, and type in IDS Center Construction. Only 1 pic on there that I found, it is when construction was about half way done.
Thanks! Here it is. Courtesy of the Hennepin Cty Library.

Aug '71.

retiredbanker
City Center

Postby retiredbanker » June 6th, 2012, 4:02 pm

I have a few b&w photo's of the IDS Center under-construction. Let me find them spectre000. The skyline looked so different back then, compared to the present day. Few buildings, even by today's standards have the efficiencies of the IDS. We're very fortunate to have such a high-quality and standard of building in Minneapolis.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » June 6th, 2012, 5:46 pm

From somebody who's only seen a few significant buildings thrown up since moving here in 2000, it seems so radical somebody built the IDS Center that tall when the rest of the city was a sea of low- to mid-rise buildings. While it may not be the greatest, it's my favorite skyscraper in any city.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » June 6th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Here are some cool MPLS skyline shots from back in the day.

retiredbanker
City Center

Postby retiredbanker » June 6th, 2012, 10:51 pm

I'm still looking for my photo's of the IDS Center under-construction. I did scan a photo, courtesy of the Minneapolis Tribune from Sept. 1971.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 7th, 2012, 7:49 am

I have a few b&w photo's of the IDS Center under-construction. Let me find them spectre000. The skyline looked so different back then, compared to the present day. Few buildings, even by today's standards have the efficiencies of the IDS. We're very fortunate to have such a high-quality and standard of building in Minneapolis.
The IDS Center is considered one of architect Philip Johnson's greatest works. The Crystal Court is an architectural masterpiece. And as you stated Retiredbanker: it is a very high quality building on all levels. We are indeed fortunate to have this building in Minneapolis. There used to be a great observation deck that closed in the early 1980's. I used to go there at least a couple times a week to look out over Minneapolis. It was so much fun!

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 7th, 2012, 8:46 am

Thanks for posting! The IDS of the 70's reminds me of a current tower that just finished in OKC (Devon Tower, 844'). They now have a similar 70's Minneapolis skyline. Devon is almost twice as tall as anything else in OKC. The IDS really did put Minneapolis on the map.

Now if only Target or someone else could build us another tall tower.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 7th, 2012, 9:38 am

Thanks for posting! The IDS of the 70's reminds me of a current tower that just finished in OKC (Devon Tower, 844'). They now have a similar 70's Minneapolis skyline. Devon is almost twice as tall as anything else in OKC. The IDS really did put Minneapolis on the map.

Now if only Target or someone else could build us another tall tower.
Yes Yes Yes! We need a new tall tower about 900 -1000 feet to cap the skyline. IDS was great in its early days as it was so much the symbol of Minneapolis. Its prominence has been diluted somewhat with all the other buildings of similar height built around it since then. Yet because of its great quality and beauty, it remains the venerable grand dame of them all! 8-)

retiredbanker
City Center

Postby retiredbanker » June 9th, 2012, 2:20 pm

Here's 2 more photo's of the IDS Center under-construction. Photo courtesy of the Minneapolis Tribune, September 1971.

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » June 29th, 2012, 12:01 pm

That would have been awesome to see go up. It was just such a tower with nothing to even compare it with. That last picture is so ominous looking. I think that is pretty cool as well.

(Sorry about the comments on older threads today, I need to catch up with some stuff I missed a few weeks ago.)
^ 4-d