IDS Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: IDS Center

Postby mattaudio » November 13th, 2014, 10:54 pm

We've had both a US Bank Plaza and a US Bancorp Center for over a decade.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » November 14th, 2014, 5:59 pm

You guys know iconic doesn't mean the most good-looking, right... ?
Really? Do you think we are a bunch of 5 year olds? I'm sorry, but very few people give a sh*t about the IDS, especially those who are under the age of 40, implants, or visitors from outside the state. It's 2014 and time to move on from whatever nostalgia you have about this building.
I haven't met a Chicagoan who knows what the Wells Fargo Tower is, but when I ask about the IDS Center their eyes will light up.
I'm calling b.s. I know people in Minneapolis that don't know the significance of the IDS tower and do not think of it as iconic.

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » November 14th, 2014, 9:05 pm

You guys know iconic doesn't mean the most good-looking, right... ?
Really? Do you think we are a bunch of 5 year olds? I'm sorry, but very few people give a sh*t about the IDS, especially those who are under the age of 40, implants, or visitors from outside the state. It's 2014 and time to move on from whatever nostalgia you have about this building.
I haven't met a Chicagoan who knows what the Wells Fargo Tower is, but when I ask about the IDS Center their eyes will light up.
I'm calling b.s. I know people in Minneapolis that don't know the significance of the IDS tower and do not think of it as iconic.
I mention I that I've anecdotal have talked about the IDS with people in Chicago and I'm accused of BSing it. Man, it's a good thing you called me out on that crazy lie I made up just to sway everyone to see my radical view of "A new name on the IDS Tower probably wouldn't stick for a few generations." :roll:
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 14th, 2014, 10:02 pm

The IDS gets smaller tenants these days , and unless someone takes over a huge chunk of space it will remain the name IDS. And there is a certain local prestige to having an office in "The IDS" like a New Yorker having one in the Empire State Building. Unity 77, If you are an architectural buff, the IDS is a big deal in the history of skyscraper design. Actually both Wells Fargo and IDS are each considered one of the best designed buildings by their respective architects. So we should all should be grateful we have both and stop bickering.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » November 14th, 2014, 11:12 pm

This thread is getting more and more absurd - " My Wells fargo can beat up your IDS - neeeeah!"

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » November 15th, 2014, 2:52 pm

I just wanted to get this out there:

I'm under the age of 40 (not by a lot, but by a decent chunk). I very much DO give a sh*t about the IDS.... Not just for its historical significance... but because of its design as well.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » November 16th, 2014, 12:03 am

Those who do not know the significance of the IDS - historically and architecturally - are those whose opinions about it are worthless.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 16th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Those who do not know the significance of the IDS - historically and architecturally - are those whose opinions about it are worthless.
Thank you, That is very true statement.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 17th, 2014, 12:06 pm

I'm in my twenties and I frankly prefer the IDS over the Wells Fargo Center most of the time. During the night, it's a bit different. But I do know IDS' history. And there's something mesmerizing about the Crystal Court.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » November 21st, 2014, 10:38 pm

Do you think we are a bunch of 5 year olds?
I do now.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 22nd, 2014, 12:37 pm

The Norwest Tower always struck me as waaay over-lit.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 21st, 2015, 10:18 pm

Just thinking out loud here, but is the short retail building on 7th and Nicollet a good enough footprint to build a slender super tall on? Could it be done considering the near historic position of the IDC center to the downtown?

I was just thinking this as the Foshey/TCF block is getting packed with a variety of things...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 21st, 2015, 10:33 pm

Just thinking out loud here, but is the short retail building on 7th and Nicollet a good enough footprint to build a slender super tall on? Could it be done considering the near historic position of the IDC center to the downtown?

I was just thinking this as the Foshey/TCF block is getting packed with a variety of things...
Pretty much answered that question today with a post in the DT Office Market thread. Pretty much not likely anytime soon. At present it is one of the few blocks in the city that works well with it's surroundings. No buried skyways, good access from ground to skyway, a comfortable gathering place. Would take a miracle to get folks to let there be major changes to something that is not broke.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 21st, 2015, 10:41 pm

To answer the actual question. Yes. It's a similar floorplate and size to the TCF site.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 22nd, 2015, 7:37 am

To answer the actual question. Yes. It's a similar floorplate and size to the TCF site.
Thanks Grant, I miss understood his question. It would be nice if Franklin and Will/Perkins can tie together all the stake holders of that block around a nice central area. It will be a bit more of a challenge, but I have faith in Will/Perkins to do a good job when it comes time. Franklin is not your run of the mill MPLS developer.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 22nd, 2015, 9:17 am

I think Excel will have a major impact on the area as well.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 26th, 2015, 4:32 pm

A 'For lease' wrap is up on the windows of the former Gap space. I wonder what ever happened to that tenant they apparently had lined up.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 26th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Yeah that retail "renaissance" downtown? Still waiting Steve Cramer.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 26th, 2015, 6:26 pm

A 'For lease' wrap is up on the windows of the former Gap space. I wonder what ever happened to that tenant they apparently had lined up.
I think that the tenant probably had corporate people come to town. They saw the beginning of the mess on the mall and decided to take their chance and wait until the mall is closer to completed, than to be losing money for 18 months while the mall is all tore up. Filling retail space along the mall will be especially difficult until there is a better window of when completion is. I also think they want to see what the end product of the mall looks like. I think they are also taking a wait and see attitude on how well the new apartment towers fill up over the next 18 months.

We have restaurant spaces closing and others vacant because no one wants to lose money while the mall is tore up.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 26th, 2015, 6:35 pm

I think that the tenant probably had corporate people come to town. They saw the beginning of the mess on the mall and decided to take their chance and wait until the mall is closer to completed, than to be losing money for 18 months while the mall is all tore up. Filling retail space along the mall will be especially difficult until there is a better window of when completion is. I also think they want to see what the end product of the mall looks like. I think they are also taking a wait and see attitude on how well the new apartment towers fill up over the next 18 months.

We have restaurant spaces closing and others vacant because no one wants to lose money while the mall is tore up.
I'm sorry but I don't think "the mall is torn up" is a legitimate excuse for any business closing... no one could drive on the mall anyways, currently you can still walk around, most buildings are skyway accessible, and the transit is only a block or two away. Parts of the mail being torn up doesn't actually really affect the general flow of the city since it's already a restricted use road. There are still hundreds of thousands of people working in the near vicinity.

This store was a bad fit, probably, that's about all. I'm encouraged that the mail renovation will inspire new retail, but doubtful that it's interfering too much with current business.