IDS Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: IDS Center

Postby mattaudio » October 27th, 2015, 8:06 am

I think that the tenant probably had corporate people come to town. They saw the beginning of the mess on the mall and decided to take their chance and wait until the mall is closer to completed, than to be losing money for 18 months while the mall is all tore up.
Gap and Banana Republic are brands within the same company, and BR is sticking around. BR has more "work" clothes and is a higher end brand. It fits a prime corner of DT Mpls more than Gap. And Gap has had known brand identity issues over the past few years anyways, seen as a 90s-00s brand that hasn't evolved. My guess is that it may surface again in another neighborhood downtown or even Uptown. I swear we've discussed this already.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 27th, 2015, 9:45 am

A 'For lease' wrap is up on the windows of the former Gap space. I wonder what ever happened to that tenant they apparently had lined up.
I think that the tenant probably had corporate people come to town. They saw the beginning of the mess on the mall and decided to take their chance and wait until the mall is closer to completed, than to be losing money for 18 months while the mall is all tore up. Filling retail space along the mall will be especially difficult until there is a better window of when completion is. I also think they want to see what the end product of the mall looks like. I think they are also taking a wait and see attitude on how well the new apartment towers fill up over the next 18 months.

We have restaurant spaces closing and others vacant because no one wants to lose money while the mall is tore up.
Hm. Perhaps.

Although as to the GAP space in particular, it always seemed like +90% of their traffic arrived via skyway, and that crowd isn't going to be bothered by what's happening outside. But maybe that's not enough.

uncle phil
Metrodome

Postby uncle phil » October 28th, 2015, 1:46 pm

I'd be thinking maybe an Apple Store...it'd be so convenient for downtown workers/dwellers.

Yourpalborno
City Center

Postby Yourpalborno » October 28th, 2015, 2:58 pm

I'd be thinking maybe an Apple Store...it'd be so convenient for downtown workers/dwellers.
Probably too small of a space for Apple. That said, a Downtown Apple Store is something that is requested in my office multiple times a week. Are we too small a population to justify a store?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 28th, 2015, 3:12 pm

I think we could have one for sure. I mean I'd be happier with a Windows store, but that's my own fandom. In terms of space, its just about the right size, and all glass.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 28th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Could Apple ever take over some/all of the retail "concourse" level underneath the Crystal Court? I could imagine a small piece of the Gap space being carved out for street/court access down to the store. Or even more dramatic would be some sort of elevator rising in the Crystal Court itself.

You know,

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 28th, 2015, 3:18 pm

Probably too small of a space for Apple. That said, a Downtown Apple Store is something that is requested in my office multiple times a week. Are we too small a population to justify a store?
I think proximity to Uptown is the issue that has prevented it happening. With downtown residential taking off maybe it happens sooner.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 28th, 2015, 3:30 pm

The Panera-Walgreens space. That's where it should go.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 28th, 2015, 3:47 pm

I can't imagine all of those GAP stores spaces together would not be enough for an Apple store. That is a good 1/3 block frontage to Nicollet plus going back on 7th at least a 1/4 of the block. Compared to the Apple stores at Uptown and the Dale Malls I think it would be big enough. I think if you were to put Apple on the corner, you would still have space for another retail space where the Kids Gap was. But I would agree with EOst that a new building where the Walgreens-Panera would be an excellent spot for the store. But I do like the idea of Apple having a corner store.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 28th, 2015, 4:24 pm

You know,
Oh sure. Only the cube portion of that store cost 7 million, sooo they definitely spend at least half that, right?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

uncle phil
Metrodome

Postby uncle phil » October 28th, 2015, 6:36 pm

I mean I'd be happier with a Windows store...
We have enough dead and empty retail downtown as it is... ;)

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 29th, 2015, 9:48 am

It was always at the top of my wish list for Block E, if it had any hope of being resurrected as retail.

Turns out it didn't.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 11th, 2015, 6:55 pm

'Burton Art Studios' has opened on the corner of 8th and Marquette in IDS. I wonder if this is a pop up for the holidays?

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/Art-Soul-Holid ... 594384470/

It's the Art and Soul Holiday Event. I guess I just saw the Burton Art Studios sign in the window.

relux
Metrodome

Postby relux » December 17th, 2015, 12:00 pm

'Burton Art Studios' has opened on the corner of 8th and Marquette in IDS. I wonder if this is a pop up for the holidays?

Edit: https://www.facebook.com/Art-Soul-Holid ... 594384470/

It's the Art and Soul Holiday Event. I guess I just saw the Burton Art Studios sign in the window.
Yeah, this was only there for a week or so. It's empty again.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 27th, 2016, 9:00 am

Perkins + Will moving in to their new offices on Monday

https://twitter.com/perkinswill_MIN/sta ... 4486153216

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 27th, 2016, 9:23 am

I've noticed a handful of job postings from Perkins + Will....for anyone who's a big fan of theirs.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » January 27th, 2016, 4:40 pm

They must be pretty confident about some of their pending projects.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 27th, 2016, 10:28 pm

They have a pretty stable parent office in Chicago and other cities that they can take the risk. Part of the move was to help drum up business by showing what they could do with their own space. What could they do for yours.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 1st, 2016, 12:03 pm

Anyone know what's going on in the old Gap space? Paper signs saying "Periscope" on the interior side, along with people inside the space.

Kind of guessing it has to do with the Twins commercial but I could be wrong.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 1st, 2016, 12:21 pm

Periscope is the Twins marketing firm.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.