IDS Center

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: IDS Center

Postby John » December 10th, 2012, 8:33 pm

I love this quote from the article: "As we come to the end of the marketing process for the IDS Center, we have decided to hold on to this iconic asset," Jeff Manno, vice president of transactions for Inland American, said in a statement "This is a great property. There isn't and never was an urgency to sell this property, and we continue to believe in its strength in the Minneapolis marketplace."......Ah , the power of truly great architecture! The IDS continues to be our best retail /office/hotel complex in Minneapolis after 40 years! :)

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » December 10th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Me thinks the real reason was the reported sale price was only for $260 million (though probably not what would've been the final price). Inland paid $278 million for it for it six years ago and has spent millions more in upgrades for LEED certification. The price probably wasn't what they were expecting.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 10th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Me thinks the real reason was the reported sale price was only for $260 million (though probably not what would've been the final price). Inland paid $278 million for it for it six years ago and has spent millions more in upgrades for LEED certification. The price probably wasn't what they were expecting.
Yes, that maybe is true, but I bet it's still a good invetsment for them and they make revenue off the complex. The problem is the "Great Recession" which has devalued everything in real estate.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 26th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Article on BizJournal today - The new owners are planning some updates it seems. One of them though makes me sick: The white light bulbs that define the edge of the skyway level could get replaced with some kind of electronic signage.

Also a mention of possibly booting some banks out of the skyway level.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... raper.html

mrcity

Postby mrcity » April 26th, 2013, 2:42 pm

well, the electronic signage might be bad....but the light bulbs are a little cheesy...outdated....

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 26th, 2013, 3:11 pm

This is the news I'm excited about:
Its also possible some of the space leased to banks could eventually get turned over to retailers that could attract more evening and week-end visitors.

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » April 27th, 2013, 4:44 am

The current lighting on top looks cheap. I'm sure that whatever they do will be better.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » April 27th, 2013, 10:28 am

Article on BizJournal today - The new owners are planning some updates it seems. One of them though makes me sick: The white light bulbs that define the edge of the skyway level could get replaced with some kind of electronic signage.
Uh oh. I don't like that at all, either.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 27th, 2013, 11:09 am

The new owners need to be careful with any updates that don't respect the architecture. I don't think the community will look too kindly on them if they do something cheesy and assaultive to the skyway design. I do like the owners idea of increasing retail in the complex and moving away from having three bank branches take up space.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 27th, 2013, 12:48 pm

I have always loved the railing height, the lights and the little bit of padding so its comfortable as you lean out looking over the court. Don't change it.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » April 27th, 2013, 9:06 pm

^^^ Agreed ^^^

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » April 28th, 2013, 10:11 am

Uh oh. I don't like that at all, either.
I don't either. The round bulbs in the Crystal Court are (I think) supposed to be the same as the round white bulbs along the top of the building... which got Ted Turnerized anyway. I know most people would say who cares, but that's the level of detail that I'm sure wasn't an accident in Johnson's design and I personally don't want it dicked around with.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 28th, 2013, 3:11 pm

I think it's very unfortunate that they replaced the large white bulbs on the top with LEDs. It just looks tacky.

mplsfinchhd
Block E

Postby mplsfinchhd » April 28th, 2013, 8:38 pm

I think it's very unfortunate that they replaced the large white bulbs on the top with LEDs. It just looks tacky.
I don't understand why people think this about the new upgraded lighting. What can be so tacky about it?? The default color of warm white is exactly the same color as the old more energy consuming bulbs. It's great to have them updated to energy saving LED bulbs which is standard at this time. I enjoy seeing the different colors for holidays, events and seasons used. I've wanted many more dates to be used than they have and am upset it hasn't been used more often. Why wouldn't you want to see different colors to celebrate different times of the year? Having everything white on every building is just plain and stupid. The Minneapolis skyline is the greatest in the world. I love the variety of buildings and the colors on them. Capella Tower is most likely going to be updated with LED lights and have colors used in the near future also. I film the skyline every single night of the year, so I appreciate the variety that is used.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 28th, 2013, 8:51 pm

^That. My biggest gripe with the nightlighting on the skyline is that it mostly shuts down at midnight. I understand that it's for energy efficiency, but I really wish they would stay on until bar close, at least on weekends.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » April 29th, 2013, 1:18 am

Why wouldn't you want to see different colors to celebrate different times of the year?
Because we have Hallmark cards for that. And Target HQ.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 29th, 2013, 6:46 am

I'm all for LEDs for energy efficiency. I am against splashes of colored lights on old buildings. It's fine at Target... it was designed for that. But yellowish white light is classy.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 29th, 2013, 9:52 am

We are talking about the lights on the skyway level though, right? Not on top?

Can somebody post a picture of what these are referring to. I thought the rooftop lights already changed color.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 29th, 2013, 10:05 am

Not the greatest picture, but all the lights along the second level, and stairs.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 29th, 2013, 10:26 am

Interesting. Thanks for the picture.