Minneapolis Armory

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Minneapolis Armory

Postby Anondson » October 18th, 2016, 6:45 pm

Parking will enter and exit from 5th? Dammit!

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » October 18th, 2016, 7:13 pm

Unless I'm viewing the renderings incorrectly, it appears that Swervo is planning to brick in all the existing windows on the east and west sides and then build an addition on the east side that covers a portion of the historic facade and makes little attempt to fit with the WPA style. How this flies from a historical preservation perspective, I've no idea.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 18th, 2016, 7:28 pm

With suuuuuuuper cheap-looking brick, too. I'm actually quite glad they showed pictures of the new brick next to the old brick, because it really illustrated the complete and utter lack of depth and texture in the new.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 18th, 2016, 8:46 pm

The idea with NRHP listed properties is to Not match the old and new work.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 18th, 2016, 8:51 pm

Hey, let's go to the meeting and protest

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 18th, 2016, 9:19 pm

With suuuuuuuper cheap-looking brick, too. I'm actually quite glad they showed pictures of the new brick next to the old brick, because it really illustrated the complete and utter lack of depth and texture in the new.
Those brick aren't necessarily cheap. I'm not sure where that's coming from. They definitely aren't a match, but the color is similar. It's also very possible that those brick are available in a bark texture (like the existing brick) but the vendor only had samples of a wire cut brick in stock.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 18th, 2016, 11:35 pm

I did say cheap-looking ;)
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 19th, 2016, 5:30 am

Here's that elevator overrun. I understand why they want it, but it's pretty intrusive:

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 19th, 2016, 6:37 am

A 'roomless' elevator would simply cost more money. Easy changes to make here with push back.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » October 19th, 2016, 7:23 am

Unless I'm viewing the renderings incorrectly, it appears that Swervo is planning to brick in all the existing windows on the east and west sides and then build an addition on the east side that covers a portion of the historic facade and makes little attempt to fit with the WPA style. How this flies from a historical preservation perspective, I've no idea.
Sorry, "brick in all the existing windows on the east and west sides and then build an addition"?!

Building another level 10' up and MAINTAINING PARKING AT GRADE?!

Are.
You.
Joking?!

:o

I haven't been tracking all of the designations etc but the addition better be sensitive/responsive AF and "bricking in" windows sounds awful.

This is my favorite building in the metro, these changes sound terrible. I've got to see these drawings/proposals.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » October 19th, 2016, 7:49 am

Ok, drawings quickly reviewed. Elevating active uses above grade and having parking at grade is horse sh1t. This is garbage.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 19th, 2016, 7:55 am

Right? I don't really have a problem with leaving the basement as parking. Whatever. But elevating the event space floor is asinine.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 19th, 2016, 8:16 am

Windows stay the same (except where they become doors). They weren't drawn into the color renderings by Mack & McDonald. I find it interesting they've hired the same architect (David J. Kelly) for all their work, Fed, Arctic Cat, Walker Library etc. I guess they then brought M&M in to consult after the city gave them pushback.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 21st, 2016, 9:07 am

I'm by no means the biggest historic preservationist on this board but there is enough in this plan where the city should just say no and force Swervo to either make changes or walk away. The second parking level is straight up acceptable and the elevator overrun is just as bad. If Swervo were to correct those two issues I think everything else is workable.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 21st, 2016, 9:29 am

I think you guys need to take a chill pill about the parking level. I don't think it will make a lick of difference on the outside. Along 5th street the first 12 feet is solid load-bearing stone anyways before the windows start. From that side it's not gonna matter what is behind that whether parking or event space. Around the other sides, sure maybe those few low, tiny windows will again be looking in at parking, but my point is this building's overall street presence is so bad it can't get much worse.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 21st, 2016, 11:39 am

There are a lot of problems with this proposal, but the elevator overrun isn't really one of them. Modern elevators require them, period. And while it looks terrible in true elevation, that's not a view that anybody will ever experience in real life.

MobJob
Block E

Postby MobJob » October 21st, 2016, 1:25 pm

I also don't see the issue with the elevated floor. Did anybody ever expect retail in the main structure on ground level here? If not, then the parking level makes no difference to me; and if it makes the space more functional, then all the better. Unless people expected retail on the ground level, I just don't see how the parking at grade significantly detracts from street level presence.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 21st, 2016, 1:34 pm

No, I expected them to use the ground floor like, yah know, historically? Logically? This doesn't even seem smart.

MobJob
Block E

Postby MobJob » October 21st, 2016, 2:08 pm

Are you able to explain why you think the historical use (which is fluid anyway) is the logical use in modern times? Similarly, do you think the historic use is the only logical use?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 21st, 2016, 2:14 pm

For one, it helps mitigate traffic on 5th St. Can you imagine the back up this is going to cause? The exits/entrances are historically on Portland and Fifth Ave, because it made sense. Now, keeping an entrance on 5th St makes even LESS sense. To add to this, almost everything we have heard up until now has talked about having an Armory that's active on the Common's side. People who may be at the Common's will have to walk an extra block around to a single entrance point (massive lines) crossing over another entrance/exit. Should I keep going?