Washington Avenue (reconstruction, restriping, etc.)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
helsinki
Landmark Center

Re: Washington Avenue

Postby helsinki » August 11th, 2015, 10:34 pm

US debut of the intersection design described above:

http://www.davisenterprise.com/local-ne ... -no-drama/

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Washington Avenue (reconstruction, restriping, etc.)

Postby Qhaberl » July 5th, 2017, 10:43 am

They just put in the beautiful bike lane on Washington Avenue between Hennepin and third, that's as far as I know of. Are they going to be doing the same thing along the Entire Washington Ave., Corredor? I am thinking of two segments in particular, 5Th east to 13th Ave, and Hennepin Ave. West to 10th Ave. North.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » July 5th, 2017, 11:25 am

I think this project goes Hennepin to 5th. From 5th to 35W the current plan (I believe) is to remove the outside lane (off-peak parking) and replace it with parking and a standard paint bike lane. Our Streets MPLS has a petition to make them protected too if you want to sign: https://www.change.org/p/hennepin-count ... of-5th-ave

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 5th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I definitely will sign the petition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » July 21st, 2017, 11:58 am

Does anyone know when the raised bike lanes on Washington are supposed to be open? The street itself is all completed for the most part that I've seen but they've still got bike lane closed signs blocking the new raised lanes that look pretty done to me. What are they waiting on?

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » July 21st, 2017, 12:16 pm

Does anyone know when the raised bike lanes on Washington are supposed to be open? The street itself is all completed for the most part that I've seen but they've still got bike lane closed signs blocking the new raised lanes that look pretty done to me. What are they waiting on?
They're waiting until they install bike signals.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 21st, 2017, 12:17 pm

Apparently, they're waiting for the special bike signals to be ready to go, since bikers on Washington can't be trusted to use the normal signals like they are everywhere else.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 21st, 2017, 2:36 pm

Well, are they just to give a different looking green to bicyclists, or are they separately timed to provide a head start for cyclists to enter the intersection? I could also see separate signals having the future capacity to detect bikes and end the cycle early to give priority to people on bikes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GcocOUVRa4&t=94s). But yeah, don't hold up opening the dang thing.

moose
Block E

Postby moose » July 23rd, 2017, 7:13 pm

wow this is a very interesting design. I learned today that Minnesota has 1 or more/94 "Diverging Diamond Intersections" in use around the world. Its a safer and more efficient way of entering and exiting highways. I'm glad that our state takes the time to study and experiment with road safety and design, especially in this case where the cyclists safety are set as priority to other vehicles. after all this is supposed to be the most bike-friendly cities in America.

moose
Block E

Postby moose » July 23rd, 2017, 7:17 pm

Well, are they just to give a different looking green to bicyclists, or are they separately timed to provide a head start for cyclists to enter the intersection? I could also see separate signals having the future capacity to detect bikes and end the cycle early to give priority to people on bikes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GcocOUVRa4&t=94s). But yeah, don't hold up opening the dang thing.
thats a really nice video, I don't feel that people would respect the authority of that advanced system in America, but I could be wrong, look how foolish it was for that cyclist to run the red light 1 sec before it turned green, lol

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 11th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Lileks looks back at “Old Man Viaduct”. The deadly railroad bridge over Washington Avenue.

http://www.startribune.com/streetscapes ... 482395592/

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » May 11th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Hennepin County has a survey for bike riders about the bike signals on Washington.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 11th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Nowhere to point out that the signals straight-up don't work, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 11th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Yeah, those bike signals on Washington confuse me to no end. Nothing at all like the actually really nice bike signals on the Jackson PBL.