Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
tedlanda2571
Block E

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby tedlanda2571 » March 28th, 2021, 8:16 pm

Looking at Gaviidae's website leaves me with more questions than answers http://www.gaviidaecommon.com/ Image
While that's good for a snicker, unfortunately the 'answer' appears to be that either no one cares, no one is paying attention, or both.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 28th, 2021, 8:48 pm

It's certainly bad all over, but the impacts are far more noticeable downtown (as in impactful on the quality of life). Basically the draw of downtown is the things that have been crushed as a result of the pandemic (walkable vibrancy). The 'draw' of Eden Prairie doesn't change all that much even if Eden Prairie Center goes 100% vacant. Sure it hurts, but not nearly as much.
Agreed. I live about equidistant between the Mall of America, Southdale, Burnsville Center, and Eden Prairie Center. It's been at least five years since I've been to any of them. Most people in the suburbs shop for their daily needs and wants somewhere else. They could all completely disappear (Something that's actually likely to happen to Burnsville Center soon) and it wouldn't affect the safety, affordability, ease of driving, quietness, or spaciousness of the suburbs.

No one says "I love Eden Prairie because it's so vibrant and lively"
Fwiw I ventured to EP center yesterday and saw a level of activity that would make Steve Cramer weep with envy, to say nothing of what I've seen at MOA. The new Scheels has really brought a new crowd to that mall specifically. No, I sadly think this is going to be more of a downtown problem than anything which is not what this city needs right now.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 29th, 2021, 8:43 am

It's certainly bad all over, but the impacts are far more noticeable downtown (as in impactful on the quality of life). Basically the draw of downtown is the things that have been crushed as a result of the pandemic (walkable vibrancy). The 'draw' of Eden Prairie doesn't change all that much even if Eden Prairie Center goes 100% vacant. Sure it hurts, but not nearly as much.
Man, I wish downtown had walkable vibrancy as a draw.

The draws of downtown are (1) you're already there at the office, and (2) events. Both of those things are just starting to recover.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 29th, 2021, 8:44 am

Agreed. I live about equidistant between the Mall of America, Southdale, Burnsville Center, and Eden Prairie Center. It's been at least five years since I've been to any of them. Most people in the suburbs shop for their daily needs and wants somewhere else. They could all completely disappear (Something that's actually likely to happen to Burnsville Center soon) and it wouldn't affect the safety, affordability, ease of driving, quietness, or spaciousness of the suburbs.

No one says "I love Eden Prairie because it's so vibrant and lively"
I have never heard anyone say, "I love Eden Prairie..."

Mdcastle
Foshay Tower

Postby Mdcastle » March 29th, 2021, 6:28 pm

I love Eden Prairie...

If I had more money and wasn't attached to the family house located elsewhere it would be towards the top of the list of places I'd want to live.

tedlanda2571
Block E

Postby tedlanda2571 » March 30th, 2021, 5:30 am

Man, I wish downtown had walkable vibrancy as a draw.

The draws of downtown are (1) you're already there at the office, and (2) events. Both of those things are just starting to recover.
Uh, yeah. That was precisely my point: downtown ‘stuff’ (like, you know, ...‘events’) was effectively eliminated. Suburban ‘stuff’ (like quiet neighborhoods, kids playing in cul de sacs, backyard BBQ, driving to grocery stores or whatever they like to do out in EP) is largely unchanged even if many suburban businesses have also suffered or gone out of business. Hence the focus of news coverage on the impacts to downtown, which was the original question raised.

VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza

Postby VacantLuxuries » March 30th, 2021, 7:21 am

Which is why it's good news for recovery that residential projects downtown largely have moved forward full steam ahead. It'll be easier for events and retail to come back if there's a nearby population to serve versus trying in vain to argue with the EP crowd about crime.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 8th, 2021, 3:17 pm

So maybe not every store should have an urban format. :roll: https://twitter.com/MplsPedestrian/stat ... 9510581252
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 9th, 2021, 9:41 am

Having flashbacks (probably documented in this thread) from when the building owner came to the city asking for a variance to turn part of the space into non-retail, saying that they would never be able to attract a restaurant due to the building's lack of any loading dock. Surely the city prohibits them from pulling trucks up on the sidewalk (or even using Nicollet Mall for access).

The best (and only?) solution is probably to park the truck on 5th street and just block all car traffic while they unload. They would also need to put down some traffic cones at Marquette, so that any cars using 5th Street are forced to turn onto Marquette (preventing them from being forced onto Nicollet Mall). In that scenario, the only possible vehicles that could get detoured onto the Mall during unloading would be those coming out of the parking garage exit onto 5th (current RBC Plaza). Depending on the time of day they deliver, that could be near zero cars. That's certainly a better solution than this nightmare.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 9th, 2021, 9:43 am

Well that explains how the sign got dented. I go there a couple times a week, and was really curious about how a sign that high up was crunched.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 9th, 2021, 9:51 am

You wouldn't need to block all car traffic on 5th, just shunt it over to the other side of the LRT tracks. They'd have to turn right on Hennepin then instead of being able to turn left or continue straight, but that doesn't seem like a huge deal for, what, maybe an hour or so?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 9th, 2021, 10:12 am

Yesterday I saw the guy using an electric assist pallet, parked on 6th St.