Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
sushisimo
Landmark Center

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby sushisimo » May 8th, 2013, 10:14 pm

I'm guessing LA Fitness is hoping for both DT residents and workers. Membership is reasonable and includes access to other locations. So, all the suburbanite DT workers who already have a membership can frequent this location over lunch, or after work and wait for traffic to subside. I've done this in reverse a lot. I live DT and most often work in the suburbs. I frequently hit the gym, Target, etc, near work and drive back in when it's dead. And, residents may find the convenience, pricepoints and location (Gaviidae would be great) too good to ignore.

Also, the Calhoun Square LA Fitness validates parking in the ramp for 2 hours, so I wonder if a DT location would factor parking ramp proximity and rates into their decision.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » May 10th, 2013, 8:57 am

You guys will love this news... Someone is reopening the small convenience store on the corner of 5th Ave N and 2nd St N.

It has been closed for quite a while. They are working inside to do some updates and there is a sign that says "Opening in April."
It's the former Metro Market on 5th in the 5th Ave Lofts building, now open as the 5th Avenue Market. Very similar set-up to its predecessor and nice to have in the neighborhood.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » May 13th, 2013, 2:04 pm

For lack of a better place to post this, BizJournal included this picture of a possible renovation of 505 Nicollet as the sale of the building just closed recently:
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... eiman.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 13th, 2013, 2:22 pm

I realize this likely won't happen, but I wish the sidewalk level was broken into smaller units so we had multiple businesses fronting the sidewalk. It's not enough to have one or two street-level retail uses on a downtown block, and it makes the block feel empty.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » May 13th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Not super impressed, but give them credit for opening up the building to the street. Just wish they would include more decorative features so it doesn't look like another office building, especially if it will include retail. Also hoping they'll be able to attract a finer dining establishment to the mix.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 13th, 2013, 8:59 pm

So I guess the skyway connection over Fifth Street is still just imaginary. Bummer.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 13th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Eh, maybe eventually we'll get a fully rebuilt, skyway-connected LRT station there.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 13th, 2013, 10:29 pm

I realize this likely won't happen, but I wish the sidewalk level was broken into smaller units so we had multiple businesses fronting the sidewalk. It's not enough to have one or two street-level retail uses on a downtown block, and it makes the block feel empty.
I agree with you. I hope that happens a little more in The Warehouse District as it evolves.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 14th, 2013, 7:51 am

Eh, maybe eventually we'll get a fully rebuilt, skyway-connected LRT station there.
Until there is a rebuild of the Light Rail station the current design kinda blocks the lower floor of the skyway. As usual they did not plan for the future, which is sad as there was the potential for the skyway in the future anyway.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on May 14th, 2013, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » May 14th, 2013, 8:02 am

Is the platform even wide enough to connect the skyway? You need stairs and an elevator and the platform seems so narrow.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 14th, 2013, 8:06 am

Meh, just wait until we tunnel under 6th St and build a real connected LRT corridor, then 5th St will become a nice traffic calmed urban street and we can put a skyway over this gap.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » May 14th, 2013, 8:25 am

I read somewhere on here, probably under the Hiawatha thread, that the Met Council set aside 1 million (2?) for Nicollet Mall Light Rail Station enhancement. Perhaps that can be worked in with eventually making it skyway accessible.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 14th, 2013, 10:40 am

If 5thNIC or whatever it's called has good public Skyway access, there's no need to spend a bunch of money putting another connection 50 feet away in the constrained platform area.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 9th, 2013, 12:28 pm

I notice there is another new vacancy in Gaviidae near the old Neimans space...Talbot's has closed...that was a pretty significant 2 story tenant. Not sure if the owner wanted them out for renovation, or if they just closed. I certainly hope that when the renovate they are able to keep at least some small retail aspect in the building, aside from a relocated food court and the typical lunchtime skyway type places. Even the LA Fitness that was discussed recently would be an okay fit.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 12th, 2013, 11:37 pm

Apparently they WEREN'T building a pied-e-terre for Cheryl Tiegs, odd.

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/blo ... space.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 13th, 2013, 8:32 am

Ok... The Cambria Skyline is pretty cool...

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » June 19th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Drove by the American Trio Lofts and it looks like the entire main floor has been leased to a "health club" all the windows have been covered with paper.
I will bike by and see if I can get more info.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 28th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Gaviidae I and Saks are for sale: http://www.startribune.com/business/213591961.html

The last piece of Brookfield's downtown properties I believe; all of the various City Center/Gaviidae-related components anyways.

I look forward to seeing what renovations are in store for the retail/office wings of Gaviidae, especially the former Niemann space on the corner & facing the LRT.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » June 28th, 2013, 8:53 pm

Some minor updates are needed, but I really love Gaviidae I - especially with the water feature with the loon, the blue ceiling, gold detailing, etc. Very classy.

I wish the city would consider what types of retail any bidder has potentially lined up before making a decision and thing about how the management company/owner would work to improve downtown retail instead of the buck they'll make from selling it off.

John
Capella Tower

917 and 927 Nicollet Mall

Postby John » July 7th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Some of the long term retail tenants on the street level have moved out and I'm assuming this project is a going forward. It was called "9's on the Mall" when it was proposed in 2012. The website is still up but nothing announced about any recent activity:
http://9sonthemall.com/