moose
Block E

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby moose » December 13th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Wait. Did sex world close!?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 13th, 2017, 12:23 pm

Nope, just downsized. They're still taking up the back half of the building, away from Washington.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 20th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Fixology Repair disappeared, leaving a note on their door that they're moving to a (apparently secret) bigger and better space downtown. This makes RBC Plaza the only skyway-connected building I can think of with a fully-leased street level and multiple vacant bays on the skyway level.
Fixology is apparently reanimating in the old Skyway Liquor space in 6 Quebec.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 20th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Fixology Repair disappeared, leaving a note on their door that they're moving to a (apparently secret) bigger and better space downtown. This makes RBC Plaza the only skyway-connected building I can think of with a fully-leased street level and multiple vacant bays on the skyway level.
Fixology is apparently reanimating in the old Skyway Liquor space in 6 Quebec.
And now we have one open space that could very easily be filled by a rotating pop up shop

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 22nd, 2018, 8:46 pm

Sharing this from the Southdale thread:
Shinola and Filson closing North Loop space, relocating to Galleria.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -will.html
Pretty savage move, Shinola/Filson, prettty savage

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » February 23rd, 2018, 8:51 am

Sharing this from the Southdale thread:
Shinola and Filson closing North Loop space, relocating to Galleria.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... -will.html
Pretty savage move, Shinola/Filson, prettty savage
What a bummer. Opens up a pretty coveted spot in the NL though.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 23rd, 2018, 1:34 pm

Maybe I'm completely off, but Shinola and Filson really seem like younger brands that fit in better with the North Loop than Galleria. Would really like to know their rationale.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 23rd, 2018, 2:27 pm

The Filson seemed busy usually but to my eye Shinola was always dead. As far as who their clientele is I honestly have no idea who's buying $700 quartz watches. People with some disposable income. So possibly Galleria shoppers.
Towns!

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 23rd, 2018, 3:01 pm

I just don't think the North Loop is that much of a shopping destination yet, at least for people who don't already live or work there. The Galleria already gets a lot of the potential customers they're after, so it's a logical move.

I do think there is a lot of potential for more retail in the North Loop, but some of the stores that have tried to make a go of it there probably did so a bit too early, before the demand was really in place.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 23rd, 2018, 3:18 pm

I dunno. Much of the retail in the North Loop is destination retail. It's not like the people living there are in MartinPatrick3, Wilson & Willy's, Askov, etc. on a regular basis.

Now that they're gone, however, I am hoping some form of more "regular" retail can take it spot—something to make it more livable to current/future residents.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » February 23rd, 2018, 3:39 pm

I dunno. Much of the retail in the North Loop is destination retail. It's not like the people living there are in MartinPatrick3, Wilson & Willy's, Askov, etc. on a regular basis.

Now that they're gone, however, I am hoping some form of more "regular" retail can take it spot—something to make it more livable to current/future residents.
All of the ones you mentioned are locally owned, which makes a difference. Those are more likely to stick around for the long haul; national high-end chains are not as likely to do so.

I think more everyday types of retail stores would do well in the North Loop, but the high rents are probably keeping some of them away and they may need some coaxing to set up shop there.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 24th, 2018, 12:14 am

Psst.

It's parking.

[ducks, runs for cover]

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » February 24th, 2018, 9:23 am

I will say, as someone living out of town, any time we come up and the wife wants to do some shopping we usually go to Galleria. We have never gone shopping in the North Loop.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 26th, 2018, 9:45 am

Seems like the shopping on offer in the North Loop skews toward menswear, for some reason.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 26th, 2018, 10:33 am

Parking is probably 10th on the list of reasons people go to Galleria before NL. And if its holiday season, its the opposite, actually. (But raise the street parking rates already!)
Towns!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 26th, 2018, 10:56 am

A few weeks ago we had dinner at Bachelor Farmer and saw some comedy at Acme. There was a spot on the street right in front of Cooks of Crocus Hill (i.e., two doors down from BF) and open spots in the lot across from Acme. That evening, at least, parking was not an obstacle.

Not recently, but I too have found parking at the Galleria difficult during the holiday season.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 26th, 2018, 11:58 am

Anecdata:

I was recently shopping in the North Loop and also found some convenient on-street parking. But in the short time I was there, I heard *three* other customers complaining to clerks about how much of a pain parking was.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » February 26th, 2018, 1:23 pm

There was a meeting a few weeks ago with North Loop businesses (looking at possibly creating business improvement district for the NL) and several of the businesses commented on the lack of parking for customers. Evenings and weekends I've found it's relatively easy to find a spot, but during the day it can be a challenge. I wouldn't be surprised if street parking rates are raised, especially with all the surface parking lots around Bachelor Farmer set to go offline in the coming months (assuming of course the West Elm Hotel project actually happens).

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 26th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Anecdata:

I was recently shopping in the North Loop and also found some convenient on-street parking. But in the short time I was there, I heard *three* other customers complaining to clerks about how much of a pain parking was.
People LOVE to complain about parking. It's literally like talking about the weather here. Park 2 blocks away, "wOw PaRKiNg sUrE IS hARd".

See the easiest solution to all of this is to build something on Washington. Like a 10 story mixed use building East of the railroad bridge with like 400 parking spaces that could be converted in the near future. 2 below, 2 above. 250 units of apartments or condos, leaving like 200 spaces for people to park for Colonial Warehouse, Foundry, etc.

There is no solution in complaining. There will never be free parking in North Loop. There will never be a massive surface lot built.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » February 27th, 2018, 8:09 am

I've lived in the North Loop for 10 years now. Parking has become significantly harder to find in that time. I'm not saying that's a bad thing... I'm happy with everything that has driven it, but to not expect people to complain when a convenience has gone from easy to hard is naive.