Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby John » February 15th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Includes smaller climbing wall inside.

Portland, OR. LEED Platinum.
Portland's REI would look great at the corner of 6th and Nicollet in a renovated City Center, or In the Neiman Marcus space. I think somewhere near the 222 development could be interesting too. West Elm is the perfect fit for the urban apartment or condo dweller with their mid-priced modern furniture( I've never figured out why are they in Edina. It's mostly empty of customers every time I've been there). I really think Apple or Microsoft should open a store downtown. It would be a huge success.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 15th, 2013, 4:11 pm

While a lot of this thread is "I shop at store A, so store A should open up downtown", I think REI could be a really cool idea. Especially if they opened up the building a bit with windows in one of the corners for a rock wall.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » March 6th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Anyone know the status of the Cambria "showroom" or whatever it is that is being constructed on the street level of the WCCO building off of South 7th and and 2nd Avenue? They have replaced the windows and added a couple of doors but have placed Cambria stickers over the windows so I can't seen in whenever I pass by the project.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Neiman Marcus site

Postby bapster2006 » April 3rd, 2013, 12:21 pm

"Strong redevelopment possibilities"

http://m.startribune.com/business/?id=201253121&c=y

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 3rd, 2013, 1:04 pm

Interesting. The article makes it sound like they'd be working with the existing building footprint, right?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 3rd, 2013, 1:24 pm

F&C reported on that too, and yes, it seems they are going to be renovating/repositioning the existing space.

I still think it's weird that the Neiman space and Gaviidae II are going to have different owners, considering how connected the spaces are. Presumably they will have a single property management company, likely United's Northmarq/Cushman-Wakefield partnership.

Here's the story on Gaviidae II's sale & renovation from a couple months back: http://www.startribune.com/business/191331001.html

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » April 3rd, 2013, 3:55 pm

Exciting news!! Didn't see the article from the Star Tribune before. Hoping Gaviidae I and City Center (exterior) follow their example.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 3rd, 2013, 3:59 pm

R-E-I, R-E-I, R-E-I...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » April 4th, 2013, 7:10 am

Customers can carry their new canoes down Nicollet Mall, ha ha. I do like REI though.

To be honest, I read into the StarTribune article that they may add on, but probably wishful thinking. The F&C article may have had a different tone.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 12th, 2013, 4:43 pm

R-E-I, R-E-I, R-E-I...
Now, it's tentative and we can't get our hopes up too high . Without saying too much I can report there is awareness (not just from people's comments on Urban MSP) that an urban REI for the Nieman Marcus site is " a very interesting idea". :D

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 12th, 2013, 6:32 pm

R-E-I, R-E-I, R-E-I...
Now, it's tentative and we can't get our hopes up too high . Without saying too much I can report there is awareness (not just from people's comments on Urban MSP) that an urban REI for the Nieman Marcus site is " a very interesting idea". :D
I thought I saw an article today/yesterday in the Strib about converting that Neiman Marcus space to Class A office space.....

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 12th, 2013, 8:09 pm

R-E-I, R-E-I, R-E-I...
I thought I saw an article today/yesterday in the Strib about converting that Neiman Marcus space to Class A office space.....
Part retail/ part office space. The developer is considering many different options and ideas. Nothing is etched in stone at the moment so don't read more into it, However, an urban, downtown REI ( like the one in SOHO in NY or Portland) has been called a "very interesting idea" by someone with influence in this project. That doesn't mean it will happen, but they are now aware of that possibility for this site.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 13th, 2013, 9:19 am

The Journal reports that "A French bakery is moving into a space formerly home to Dahl Pharmacy at 1200 Nicollet Mall."

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/ne ... ollet-mall

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » April 17th, 2013, 2:51 pm

You guys will love this news... Someone is reopening the small convenience store on the corner of 5th Ave N and 2nd St N.

It has been closed for quite a while. They are working inside to do some updates and there is a sign that says "Opening in April."

Suburban Outcast
Landmark Center

Postby Suburban Outcast » April 21st, 2013, 12:37 am

Given that high-end retail seems to keep leaving Minneapolis, should they focus on retailers that upper-middle income residents would go to? With the Nic on Fifth and the possiblity of 4Marq being built literally across the street, could that mean brands like Lacoste or Polo Ralph Lauren could have a boutique in Gaviidae with street entrances once those luxury high-rises are built? From personal observation, it seems we have a fairly strong upper-middle class, while people with even higher incomes usually seem not as flashy as the upper-class residents on the North Shore of Chicago.
That being said, could Downtown Minneapolis work as an viable shopping destination for middle to upper-middle class residents within the city, while the higher-end boutiques move to the Edina Galleria given they already have Louis Vuitton and Tiffany & Co.? I agree that Nordstrom could work out in the Neiman Marcus spot, where it could start out with cheaper upscale brands, and possibly build small in-store boutiques for more luxurious brands like Gucci if the demand for it ever appeared.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » May 8th, 2013, 11:42 am

LA Fitness is looking to open a location downtown, according to the Business Journal.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -site.html

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 8th, 2013, 2:43 pm

The top floor of the old Neiman Marcus would work for that.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 8th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Do you think they'll use existing space somewhere (anywhere, really) or be part of a new mixed-use development -- either residential or office (Wells)?

Anyone know LA Fitness' Modus Operandi (MO)?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » May 8th, 2013, 3:53 pm

I don't know if they have one. I've seen both new construction and rehabbed existing buidings. It may come down to what is more economical near a potential site.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 8th, 2013, 4:59 pm

Do they want to be near the office crowd which Lifetime already has at the Target Center, and the YMCA has at La Salle Plaza, or be more near the new residential neighborhoods? That is what they need to decide as far as marketing themselves and then making a profit where they decide to build or renovate.