Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
sushisimo
Landmark Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby sushisimo » October 17th, 2015, 2:37 pm

But we got this
LMAO! They couldn't even ring up sale items. The cashier was flipping through a barcode binder. I looked over my shoulder to see where 1998 was.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » October 17th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Yeah. I was in Chicago last weekend and went to three Walgreens: Loop, River North and Wicker Park. All are really nice. Ours is garbage.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 17th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Okay I think we get that. You guys are making me depressed whenever I walk by it, geez.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 19th, 2015, 10:44 am

Okay I think we get that. You guys are making me depressed whenever I walk by it, geez.
Exactly. If you're not emailing Walgreen's corporate offices with your disapproval, please stop bashing them here. It certainly won't change reality.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 20th, 2015, 8:00 am

This isn't a complaint, just an observation: the pics of this new DT Walgreens look exactly like the new Walgreens at 54th and Lyndale. Same flooring, same white everything, same shelves. As best as I can tell, they were going for a clean look compared to the old pack-everything-in-until-it-overflows approach, but ended up looking empty and cheap instead.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 20th, 2015, 11:39 am

The new Walgreens on E Lake & 32nd looks nicer. really.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » October 22nd, 2015, 10:51 am

Walgreen's is bound to look cheap compared to the rest of Gavidae, which has extremely high-quality and sumptuous interior design. You walk through the old department store doors and suddenly the design aesthetic completely changes. It is very jarring. I'm not particularly fond of how they wedged the store into that space and how they handled the design of the skyway hallway around the edge of the store. At the very least they should've tried to make some sort of attempt to match the skyway hall to the rest of Gavidae.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 13th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but there is construction happening next to the skyway at Canadian Pacific Plaza with a sign indicating it's to be Alerus. Internet searching says it's a bank branch: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ranch.html

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » November 30th, 2015, 11:10 pm

I feel like the more innocuous the article, the more vitriolic the comments are.

Why do these people that DESPISE the city so much hang out on the Strib website looking for articles about the CITY they DESPISE so they can hang out in the comment sections to let you know how much they DESPISE the CITY.
I keep getting the impression that there's some kind of weird ultra-conservative astroturfing campaign going on with the Star Tribune comments. Like you'll see the same people constantly posting the same rhetoric about Minneapolis or Minnesota taxes or whatever, and then they're all liking and replying to each other's comments.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » November 30th, 2015, 11:27 pm

I keep getting the impression that there's some kind of weird ultra-conservative astroturfing campaign going on with the Star Tribune comments. Like you'll see the same people constantly posting the same rhetoric about Minneapolis or Minnesota taxes or whatever, and then they're all liking and replying to each other's comments.
It's the same everywhere, they've all got talking points from AM radio. When I lived in Milwaukee, I saw literally the same in the Journal Sentinel's comments section. The big thing there was trying to get the downtown streetcar stopped ("choo-choo", "boondoggle", etc).

Hah, so I swear I went to find an article *after* I typed the above, and this is what I found:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/ ... tml?page=1

Same shit, different city. But I guess they've now added "[mayor] Tom's Folly Trolley". It is clever.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 1st, 2015, 9:06 am

It's the same everywhere, they've all got talking points from AM radio. When I lived in Milwaukee, I saw literally the same in the Journal Sentinel's comments section. The big thing there was trying to get the downtown streetcar stopped ("choo-choo", "boondoggle", etc).

Hah, so I swear I went to find an article *after* I typed the above, and this is what I found:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/ ... tml?page=1

Same shit, different city. But I guess they've now added "[mayor] Tom's Folly Trolley". It is clever.
It's almost like they think it matters. Like policy makers and planners read internet troll comments.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 1st, 2015, 9:07 am

To be fair, I troll in comment threads for innocuous articles about the suburbs.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 1st, 2015, 9:18 am

Heh. I've been in a few, too, less trolling but instead trying. ;)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 1st, 2015, 10:28 am

I don't usually read the comments, but when I do, there's a 70% chance that mattaudio has commented. He's everywhere.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 11th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Yeah, I just noticed today that it doesn't go to the corner...really hope that's another retail space...though I have a feeling it is not, as I see a doorway leading to the space in your pic. Would they really make the corner a back room?!? I really don't like how these blocks were chopped up and sold separate, it's kind of messy.

Also noticed that the other retail space on the skyway next to Walgreens will be an exciting Chiropractors office.

Sign up today! "Retail space for lease"! Being put up by MN Real Estate Dynamics. Anyone ever heard of them? I'm so used to DTZ, Cushman Wakefield, Colliers, Transwestern and CBRE.

When done correctly it can lead to much more retail on the mall.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 11th, 2015, 3:23 pm

More digging:

Kim Perry also work with Semper Development. A company that is located in IDS. She seems to have a good history and good connections. Lets hope this gets picked up quickly.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 12th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Ha, I also took a photo of that sign yesterday!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 14th, 2015, 6:14 pm

There was discussion of this after the post you quoted...I wonder if they are subleasing this space, remember how Walgreens leased more space than they would use for the store initially? We also discussed how this space seems to have no skyway connection. Hope something goes in there soon!

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » January 9th, 2016, 6:21 pm

Brasserie Zentral is closing, per the strib.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 9th, 2016, 6:31 pm

Weird. Didn't they just drop brunch and expand their menu?