Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby grant1simons2 » January 24th, 2021, 1:47 pm

They're gone gone. Not that surprising though.

uptown82
Block E

Postby uptown82 » January 25th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Fixtures for sale in Banana Republic. I asked and they are closing

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » January 25th, 2021, 6:08 pm

Fixtures for sale in Banana Republic. I asked and they are closing
This isn't that surprising to me given that their clothes are a staple of the business casual style wardrobe. Up until March I had been working downtown since late 1997 and most of my clothes I wore to work came from that store. I can imagine this store has taken a big hit with lots of people working from home. They often had good sales. Sad.
Born in Minneapolis.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » January 25th, 2021, 6:28 pm

In general, Old Navy is the brand that they are growing. Banana Republic and Gap stores are closing. Look for this trend to continue.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 26th, 2021, 1:18 am

I'm growing a little more concerned the Target Store at 9th and Nicollet will close at some point. There continues to be a great deal of loitering , with not infrequent reports of crimal acticvity at the intersection. And there have been late afternoon disturbances in the rotunda with fights breaking between groups of youths. I go there frequently and haven't run across too much nefarious activity, however, I go earlier in the day. Still appears to be quite busy there despite covid and the shut down of the vast majority of downtown businesses. Sure hope it stays open. If it does close , it will be a bad sign , and a clear indication that downtown is in for a long downturn.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » January 26th, 2021, 8:16 am

I have a hard time believing that Target would close their signature store, just as vaccines are starting to go back into arms, because of a problem that could be solved by hiring a handful more security guards?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 26th, 2021, 8:46 am

I dont think target would ever close that store. Yes there have been more issues as of late at it but also a few more guards would solve most of those issues. I was at it this past sunday and it was fine besides the liquor store still being closed

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 26th, 2021, 9:10 am

The city took the Interrupters off the street and has an RFP for a replacement. Hopefully, Target can work with the Downtown replacements to work with the youth and not only stop them from fighting, but help them. I love this store and feel like Target needs to think a bit smarter to disperse people. I think part of this might even be with the library closed.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » January 26th, 2021, 9:23 am

I think your correct with the library being closed as well as the reconstruction of Hennepin has moved alot of people from parts of downtown to Nicollet mall.

Xcskier56
Block E

Postby Xcskier56 » January 26th, 2021, 9:46 am

Target will likely never close this store. Its far more important than just another store, it’s used by target corporate to test new layouts and be able to quickly see how their decisions play out on shelf. As long as headquarters is next door, this store will exist

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » January 26th, 2021, 10:59 am

It really bothers me that they have closed the liquor store and that the store now closes at 6. I understand that people hanging around fighting, blocking the entrance, panhandling is intimidating to some.

Target could easily have a larger security presence and make it slightly less comfortable for the loiterers so they could reopen the liquor store and return the store to normal hours.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » January 26th, 2021, 12:16 pm

They could do something as simple as stick a piano there and have an artist play it during peak times. Give the space the aura that this isn't somewhere to hangout. Support a musician during COVID

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 26th, 2021, 12:54 pm

They could do something as simple as stick a piano there and have an artist play it during peak times. Give the space the aura that this isn't somewhere to hangout. Support a musician during COVID
Not a bad idea.

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » January 27th, 2021, 12:28 am

As long as headquarters is next door, this store will exist
Great. You just cursed it.

In all seriousness though, I know some influential Target employees that are in no hurry to get back downtown with all that’s going on. It’s kinda becoming chicken and egg.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 27th, 2021, 5:49 pm

It's still super busy, not sure why people hanging out in front of the store would shut down a store. Already a bit ridiculous that it closes at 6. There's a big rush at 5 to get groceries before close.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 27th, 2021, 10:56 pm

It's still super busy, not sure why people hanging out in front of the store would shut down a store. Already a bit ridiculous that it closes at 6. There's a big rush at 5 to get groceries before close.
I am sure once more people are back downtown, the hours will return to normal business hours.

Really sad about the state of downtown - I know other cities are also losing restaurants/businesses, but seems Mpls is really taking a huge hit - combination of the pandemic/riots and the weather I think. The long, cold winters don't help encourage people to venture out and support businesses. The change in shopping habits and safety concerns prior also didn't help.

Mpls really doesn't know what identity it wants - to be a place for residents or tourists. I personally think appealing to both are important. Can't really survive with only one. But I think now is the time to really work on attracting a wide range of new experiences downtown - since shopping and dining are so volatile. The the creation of the parks along the river front are great, but Mpls. should really work on luring additional cultural attractions to the downtown core. Bring back the zipline crossing the Mississippi, open art galleries again. People are drawn to things they can do/experience. And appeal to everyone - families, children, etc.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » January 27th, 2021, 10:59 pm

Also - even though I shopped at the Target liquor store on Nicollet, I was never a fan of it opening, considering the number of homeless people and those who obviously had drinking problems whom were already loitering in the area. Bad part on the city for allowing it to open. I thought that per the city ordinance liquor stores weren't allowed to be so close to one another Think it hurt sales at Haskells down the street.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » January 28th, 2021, 8:16 am

Also - even though I shopped at the Target liquor store on Nicollet, I was never a fan of it opening, considering the number of homeless people and those who obviously had drinking problems whom were already loitering in the area. Bad part on the city for allowing it to open. I thought that per the city ordinance liquor stores weren't allowed to be so close to one another Think it hurt sales at Haskells down the street.
Pre pandemic Haskell's had limited selection of everything other than wine and limited hours.

I think the Target liquor store was pretty good.

As a city we should work to fix the homelessness problem not prohibit certain businesses in certain areas.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » January 28th, 2021, 9:53 am

Downtown has been like this since I started actively going there in 2013. Gap closed and was an empty space for 2 years. City Center had a crappy Office Max in its space, which is now another poorly designed store, and Sports Authority lasted less than a year. Barnes and Noble was good, then it was replaced by some crappy steak place that covered all their windows up and stuck a bathroom on the corner of Nicollet. Walgreens was in a dumb 1 story building and has since moved to a nicer 2 story space.

I could keep going with the weird examples of changes happening downtown, but this year is no exception, and I'm really tired of people on here claiming this is the rapture of downtown because they're noticing our disparities that have ALWAYS existed. People are slowly coming back downtown, but the social issues will persist until we get real leadership on the matter. What's annoying is that businesses continue to use this as a reason why they have problems downtown, and not blame poor management, strange hours or lack of effort put into a space. I'm really happy with the new DGX, and I hope that becomes the model for what should exist on Nicollet. We need a range of retail, and honestly the pandemic highlighted just how many bloated restaurant spaces cater only to the office folks.

COLSLAW5
Nicollet Mall

Postby COLSLAW5 » January 29th, 2021, 10:35 am

Changing of topic but the closed CVS on Hennepin appears to be operating as a CVS branded Covid testing site. Considering it topped by a parking ramp and near transit this would probably also make a really good vaccination site as it a large open space.