Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby TroyGBiv » January 30th, 2021, 12:36 am

Downtown has been like this since I started actively going there in 2013. Gap closed and was an empty space for 2 years. City Center had a crappy Office Max in its space, which is now another poorly designed store, and Sports Authority lasted less than a year. Barnes and Noble was good, then it was replaced by some crappy steak place that covered all their windows up and stuck a bathroom on the corner of Nicollet. Walgreens was in a dumb 1 story building and has since moved to a nicer 2 story space.

I could keep going with the weird examples of changes happening downtown, but this year is no exception, and I'm really tired of people on here claiming this is the rapture of downtown because they're noticing our disparities that have ALWAYS existed. People are slowly coming back downtown, but the social issues will persist until we get real leadership on the matter. What's annoying is that businesses continue to use this as a reason why they have problems downtown, and not blame poor management, strange hours or lack of effort put into a space. I'm really happy with the new DGX, and I hope that becomes the model for what should exist on Nicollet. We need a range of retail, and honestly the pandemic highlighted just how many bloated restaurant spaces cater only to the office folks.
You raise very good points! Retail has changed and we won’t see the era of department stores lining Nicollet like when I was younger, but you don’t see them anywhere anymore. There has been so much development - the entire East town is just a couple years old really, and still so many more residential projects continue to change the urban mix. I think we’ll see people back in town, neighborhoods “maturing” and better positioned retail throughout the expanding downtown.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 1st, 2021, 10:56 am

Also - even though I shopped at the Target liquor store on Nicollet, I was never a fan of it opening, considering the number of homeless people and those who obviously had drinking problems whom were already loitering in the area. Bad part on the city for allowing it to open. I thought that per the city ordinance liquor stores weren't allowed to be so close to one another Think it hurt sales at Haskells down the street.
I think it opened after the one in the skyway closed.

As you note, Haskells was down the street for those "loitering" in the area.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 27th, 2021, 6:33 pm

Strib: Minneapolis skyway retailers stuck in limbo: 'It's been absolute devastation'

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... 039326/#14

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » March 27th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Strib: Minneapolis skyway retailers stuck in limbo: 'It's been absolute devastation'

https://www.startribune.com/minneapolis ... 039326/#14
Went for a walk in the Skyways on Thursday at lunch time, and probably half of the restaurants were open, but everyone that was open had a few people in line, so hopefully we are seeing the tail end of this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 28th, 2021, 8:35 am

In my frequent walks of the skyways ( near Nicollet Mall ) the corridors are virtually empty of people with the majority of retail spaces vacant. Not as rosy a scenario as described above. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the city's tax revenue next year. A significant shortfall in for our city budget is in the making, even with a transfer of property taxes to pissed off homeowners already weary from increased crime and civil unrest. You don't hear much about that in the media, nor by the majority on our city council.

I do think Downtown Minneapolis will recover partially after the pandemic subsides. But there is a very strong perception in the public eye that it has become dangerous and unsafe. That perception is a little exaggerated but it will take some effort to improve that image, and that won't happen until after all the trials are over, and the issue of what happens to our police department/city council is resolved after the November election. What and who you vote for next fall will determine this city's future for decades...

StandishGuy
Nicollet Mall

Postby StandishGuy » March 28th, 2021, 11:05 am

Oof! It's so depressing. According to the article, Banana Republic in IDS closed earlier this year and the Juut Salon in Gavidae will close soon.

I do think the Star Tribune has produced an disproportionate number of articles about downtown Minneapolis. What's the future of the 494 office strip, which I imagine is just as empty as downtown buildings? How about Southdale or MOA, which aren't the healthiest retail locations either right now? The health of retail everywhere is pretty awful right now due to the pandemic, some context would be helpful...

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 28th, 2021, 11:53 am

^^Agree, there has been some exaggeration and over-focus on downtown. Some of the retail will recover on the skyways this fall. My bigger concerns would be if Target closes its store or if some of the grocery stores close due to more unrest etc. That would be an ominous sign for downtown being in for an long term, protracted decline. Not saying it will happen , but it's in the realm of possibility. Times have changed. The smug sense of economic vitality we take for granted in our city is just not a "given" anymore.
Last edited by John on March 28th, 2021, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phop
Landmark Center

Postby phop » March 28th, 2021, 12:06 pm

Businesses like grocery stores are not going to abandon a customer base (downtown residents) that continues to grow. That would be like saying, "no we would prefer to make less money". I'm not too worried about the businesses that cater to the needs of residents.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 28th, 2021, 1:08 pm

It’s interesting the Juut landlord would refuse to even negotiate. Must either be confident in finding a replacement, or big picture having those spaces occupied isn’t all that important to them. The latter seems more likely and is kind of a bummer.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 28th, 2021, 1:30 pm

Looking at Gaviidae's website leaves me with more questions than answers http://www.gaviidaecommon.com/ Image
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MinnMonkey
Landmark Center

Postby MinnMonkey » March 28th, 2021, 1:45 pm

The Pizza Hut at 11th and Hennepin has re-opened. Not sure why they closed in the first place, maybe they reconfigured there space.

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » March 28th, 2021, 5:18 pm

Oof! It's so depressing. According to the article, Banana Republic in IDS closed earlier this year and the Juut Salon in Gavidae will close soon.

I do think the Star Tribune has produced an disproportionate number of articles about downtown Minneapolis. What's the future of the 494 office strip, which I imagine is just as empty as downtown buildings? How about Southdale or MOA, which aren't the healthiest retail locations either right now? The health of retail everywhere is pretty awful right now due to the pandemic, some context would be helpful...
It's certainly bad all over, but the impacts are far more noticeable downtown (as in impactful on the quality of life). Basically the draw of downtown is the things that have been crushed as a result of the pandemic (walkable vibrancy). The 'draw' of Eden Prairie doesn't change all that much even if Eden Prairie Center goes 100% vacant. Sure it hurts, but not nearly as much.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » March 28th, 2021, 6:01 pm

It's certainly bad all over, but the impacts are far more noticeable downtown (as in impactful on the quality of life). Basically the draw of downtown is the things that have been crushed as a result of the pandemic (walkable vibrancy). The 'draw' of Eden Prairie doesn't change all that much even if Eden Prairie Center goes 100% vacant. Sure it hurts, but not nearly as much.
Agreed. I live about equidistant between the Mall of America, Southdale, Burnsville Center, and Eden Prairie Center. It's been at least five years since I've been to any of them. Most people in the suburbs shop for their daily needs and wants somewhere else. They could all completely disappear (Something that's actually likely to happen to Burnsville Center soon) and it wouldn't affect the safety, affordability, ease of driving, quietness, or spaciousness of the suburbs.

No one says "I love Eden Prairie because it's so vibrant and lively"

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » March 28th, 2021, 8:16 pm

Looking at Gaviidae's website leaves me with more questions than answers http://www.gaviidaecommon.com/ Image
While that's good for a snicker, unfortunately the 'answer' appears to be that either no one cares, no one is paying attention, or both.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » March 28th, 2021, 8:48 pm

Agreed. I live about equidistant between the Mall of America, Southdale, Burnsville Center, and Eden Prairie Center. It's been at least five years since I've been to any of them. Most people in the suburbs shop for their daily needs and wants somewhere else. They could all completely disappear (Something that's actually likely to happen to Burnsville Center soon) and it wouldn't affect the safety, affordability, ease of driving, quietness, or spaciousness of the suburbs.

Fwiw I ventured to EP center yesterday and saw a level of activity that would make Steve Cramer weep with envy, to say nothing of what I've seen at MOA. The new Scheels has really brought a new crowd to that mall specifically. No, I sadly think this is going to be more of a downtown problem than anything which is not what this city needs right now.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 29th, 2021, 8:43 am

Man, I wish downtown had walkable vibrancy as a draw.

The draws of downtown are (1) you're already there at the office, and (2) events. Both of those things are just starting to recover.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 29th, 2021, 8:44 am

I have never heard anyone say, "I love Eden Prairie..."

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » March 29th, 2021, 6:28 pm

I love Eden Prairie...

If I had more money and wasn't attached to the family house located elsewhere it would be towards the top of the list of places I'd want to live.

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » March 30th, 2021, 5:30 am

Man, I wish downtown had walkable vibrancy as a draw.

The draws of downtown are (1) you're already there at the office, and (2) events. Both of those things are just starting to recover.
Uh, yeah. That was precisely my point: downtown ‘stuff’ (like, you know, ...‘events’) was effectively eliminated. Suburban ‘stuff’ (like quiet neighborhoods, kids playing in cul de sacs, backyard BBQ, driving to grocery stores or whatever they like to do out in EP) is largely unchanged even if many suburban businesses have also suffered or gone out of business. Hence the focus of news coverage on the impacts to downtown, which was the original question raised.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » March 30th, 2021, 7:21 am

Which is why it's good news for recovery that residential projects downtown largely have moved forward full steam ahead. It'll be easier for events and retail to come back if there's a nearby population to serve versus trying in vain to argue with the EP crowd about crime.