IDS Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby grant1simons2 » May 11th, 2016, 12:06 pm

:D

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 11th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Yay, now downtown can be as cool as Albertville. We have the full slate of cheap clothing, all we need is a Dress Barn.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 11th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Wait are you people actually serious right now?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » May 11th, 2016, 12:16 pm

Wow. Just can't win.

Well I for one am thrilled!

In other news, I notice the old Crate and Barrel space that was Target commercial interiors is now vacant too.
Last edited by mnmike on May 11th, 2016, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » May 11th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Wasn't sure if I accidentally clicked on the Star Tribune comment section or what...

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » May 11th, 2016, 12:39 pm

Exactly, WTF. This is fantastic news. At least with this store, Off Saks, etc. a moderate income person can patronize and make purchases frequently. That's what the Mall needs.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 11th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Yay, now downtown can be as cool as Albertville. We have the full slate of cheap clothing, all we need is a Dress Barn.
A Dress Barn would be great!

(Honestly, any new downtown retail is great)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 11th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Just a note, the greatest days of downtown retail included zero luxury brands.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 11th, 2016, 1:10 pm

Well.. Gabberts

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 11th, 2016, 1:28 pm

Well one, my statement was mostly in jest, and it's great that retail of any sort is moving into downtown, but I'm not personally excited about what we've been getting.

I do not ask for any luxury brands, but I also don't get excited about their knockoff fake luxury twin brands. Marshalls, Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack are all getting their products made in the same Chinese sweatshops for the same dirt-cheap prices (and quality) as Zara, H&M, etc. They just charge more because they make you think they are somehow related to the products at Nordstrom, Saks, and their ilk.

But like I said, to echo a famous phrase on this site, retail of any sort is better than an empty store.

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » May 11th, 2016, 1:46 pm

...retail of any sort is better than an empty store.

I'm sure you really don't believe that...do you?

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » May 11th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Marshalls, Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack are all getting their products made in the same Chinese sweatshops for the same dirt-cheap prices (and quality) as Zara, H&M, etc. They just charge more because they make you think they are somehow related to the products at Nordstrom, Saks, and their ilk.
Not always true. This is more typically true of something like a Gap Outlet or a Polo Factory Store where they have specific items made only for those outlets. I'm doubting Pendleton made a wool shirt specifically for Nordstrom Rack.

Anyway, I'm a fan, and I withdraw my request for a DSW downtown. The shoe market should be covered.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Off Fifth has said (when asked) that less than 10% of goods are from Saks, with about 75% made for Off Fifth specifically. Nordstrom Rack has given similar numbers, and both companies confirm that their goods are almost never sold at the MSRP labeled on the tag. So not always true, but usually true.

proverfent
Block E

Postby proverfent » May 11th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Just what we need, another bargain bin for the riff raff downtown. Why can't we get some nice stores for a change? I guess we should start calling it Nicollet Outlet Mall.
This!!! Another outlet store downtown is annoying. I can absolutely only speak for myself here but I am sure many people, they may not be in this discussion forum, agree with how I feel. I am 27 years old and live downtown. When I moved here I looked forward to shopping at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. Now they have been replaced with outlet stores which, personally, I feel should stay in the suburbs. I was recently in Salt Lake City and they have a full-fledged Nordstrom store downtown and they're downtown population is 15,000. I support the vast majority of retail entering the downtown market but we cannot fill downtown with Marshalls, outlet store, Walgreens, outlet store....

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » May 11th, 2016, 6:40 pm

Um, Saks was replaced with off fifth when you were like 15 then, and these are the kind of stores that do well downtown.

Ps, salt lake has tourists...downtowns with tourists and big convention business have more retail.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 11th, 2016, 6:56 pm

These are the kind of places that are attempting to get that draw of shopping downtown back. If they're successful, then hopefully can see larger luxury brands back in the market. For now, there's always North Loop.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » May 12th, 2016, 8:46 am

Just what we need, another bargain bin for the riff raff downtown. Why can't we get some nice stores for a change? I guess we should start calling it Nicollet Outlet Mall.
This!!! Another outlet store downtown is annoying. I can absolutely only speak for myself here but I am sure many people, they may not be in this discussion forum, agree with how I feel. I am 27 years old and live downtown. When I moved here I looked forward to shopping at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. Now they have been replaced with outlet stores which, personally, I feel should stay in the suburbs. I was recently in Salt Lake City and they have a full-fledged Nordstrom store downtown and they're downtown population is 15,000. I support the vast majority of retail entering the downtown market but we cannot fill downtown with Marshalls, outlet store, Walgreens, outlet store....
The Nordstrom in SLC is also an anchor to the $1.5 billion City Creek Center project that the Mormon church built, it's a destination mall that draws in a lot of locals from outside downtown (underground parking has thousands of spaces) as well as tourists, plus it's directly across from the Salt Palace convention center and the temple. As nice as it would be to have downtown (MPLS), I don't see it happening. The economics in SLC are different, land use costs are cheaper, it's easier for suburbanites to get to and use City Creek than a similar setup here would allow, and I'd be willing to bet that the church gave Nordstrom (and Macy's) a sweetheart deal to lock them into a long term agreement. Plus the only mall to City Creek that would compete for traffic/sales is Fashion Place in Murray which is 12 miles away, downtown Minneapolis has competition from Southdale, Ridgedale, and Rosedale which are all 7-10 miles away, not to mention the big mall in Bloomington that soaks up tourists.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » May 12th, 2016, 11:29 am

Jeez, people, we're still talking about a place that sells some expensive stuff at the high end of their price range. Some of you are acting like they're bringing in a dollar store or something. Nordstrom Rack should do well in downtown and will hopefully encourage other retailers to locate there as well.

Also, Minnesotans are notoriously thrifty/cheap (depending on how you want to look at it) when it comes to the amount of money they spend on clothing. It's not due to a lack of money, either, it's just that people have different priorities. There's a reason the state only has two regular Nordstrom's, and why they're located where they are.

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » May 12th, 2016, 6:31 pm

J...and will hopefully encourage other retailers to locate there as well.
Ok, fingers crossed QuietBlue get's his thrifty/cheap Dollar Store downtown.

proverfent
Block E

Postby proverfent » May 12th, 2016, 6:55 pm

The thing is I, like many people who live in my building, have a pretty expendable income. We talk about wanting better retail and restaurant options downtown. Nordstrom Rack is not better retail but is another Rack store in the metro. We need/want new stores to enter the metro market, downtown. It can happen.