Permit Parking

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Permit Parking

Postby mattaudio » June 9th, 2015, 8:52 am

Car2Go caravan to Sea Salt?
Maybe? And maybe I've been provided with specific addresses of particular problem residents.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 9th, 2015, 8:53 am

Awesome! I'll meet you all over there with a couple cartons of eggs and some toilet paper!

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » June 9th, 2015, 9:00 am

I like having more eyes on the street personally.
Same here. I welcome hide and riders to my block near Lexington Parkway station. Particularly in the spring, fall, and winter when it gets dark earlier.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 9th, 2015, 5:10 pm

I think with the reconstruction of Minnehaha Ave nearby, people are 'forced' to park in the neighborhood more now. As it's harder to get into the park (for those who don't know the streets well). Parking is odd that way, people will seek out the easiest place when unfamiliar. I live on the other side of the park from Hiawatha Ave, near the 50th Street LRT station. I'm always amazed at the neighbors who literally froth at the mouth at people parking on the streets for going to the park or the light rail. I like having more eyes on the street personally.
I mean, I suppose a small part of me can sympathize. They're near a regional amenity, yes. But that area is far enough south that it doesn't support much density (given the current circumstances), meaning it's much harder to, say, drop a vehicle. If you're pretty close to the park (or the light rail on the other side of Hiawatha), you could have all the car hassle of living in Whittier with 1/4 the amenities/access.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » June 9th, 2015, 8:22 pm

I think with the reconstruction of Minnehaha Ave nearby, people are 'forced' to park in the neighborhood more now. As it's harder to get into the park (for those who don't know the streets well). Parking is odd that way, people will seek out the easiest place when unfamiliar. I live on the other side of the park from Hiawatha Ave, near the 50th Street LRT station. I'm always amazed at the neighbors who literally froth at the mouth at people parking on the streets for going to the park or the light rail. I like having more eyes on the street personally.
I mean, I suppose a small part of me can sympathize. They're near a regional amenity, yes. But that area is far enough south that it doesn't support much density (given the current circumstances), meaning it's much harder to, say, drop a vehicle. If you're pretty close to the park (or the light rail on the other side of Hiawatha), you could have all the car hassle of living in Whittier with 1/4 the amenities/access.
You're not wrong. However the guy who led the permit parking petition has one vehicle and three off street parking spots. The grouchy neighbors near my home close to light rail also have at least one more off street spot than cars. Not coincidently the biggest whiners are a 50 year old guy with a graduate degree who hasn't had a job that paid him more than $15 an hour and a functioning alcoholic. The sixty year old lady next door is pretty bitter about the "quality" of our apartment neighbors but she is more than willing to not shovel in the winter, forcing me to clear a path for the rest of the block.

Boomers suck

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 9th, 2015, 8:35 pm

Boomers suck
The Greatest Generation's greatest failure.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 9th, 2015, 8:40 pm

^

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 10th, 2015, 2:38 am

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 26th, 2016, 11:38 am

Good to see parking is still Issue #1 on the public comments related to Red Cow's liquor license request:
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 180420.pdf

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » May 27th, 2016, 11:08 am

I love the second letter, "I can't think of any reason [...] Red Cow would want to have this license approved other than to make more money."

NAAAHHH! Why would a resturant ever want to make more money?? They're just here for the shits and giggles! [/sarcasm]

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » May 30th, 2016, 4:59 pm

I worked at that Red Cow location for a while. I have no love for the company but the neighbors are out of their minds.

The irony here is that nearly every house on the blocks around Red Cow has alley accessible garages. Almost none of them park on the street, and there are almost always one or two available parking spaces on each block. When Red Cow is closed there is almost nobody parked on the street. Really, they are just mad that other people are parking on their block. They don't actually want those spots for themselves.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 31st, 2016, 4:48 pm

Yeah, the one time I went to the 50th & France Red Cow, we parked on Drew. Had to go up a couple of blocks due to the permit/limited parking section, but it was almost completely empty! Maybe one or two cars on the block.