Minneapolis address format discrepancies

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Minneapolis address format discrepancies

Postby Tcmetro » August 3rd, 2018, 4:31 pm

Mod note: Conversation split off from 333 Hennepin Ave E (or should it be 333 E Hennepin?) thread. Love too be pedantic over stuff like this :geek:

Very petty, but it really bothers me that this thread is titled Hennepin Ave E instead of E Hennepin Ave.

twincitizen

Re: Mortenson / USBank site - 333 Hennepin Ave E (290' - 26 stories)

Postby twincitizen » August 4th, 2018, 9:24 am

Technically, that is the correct address format: https://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/de ... 2924120250

Minneapolis doesn’t consistently follow the Hennepin County address format on street signs though. Also, numbered streets are never to be spelled (e.g. “South Sixth Street” is doubly wrong, it’s “6th Street South”)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 4th, 2018, 9:27 am

The postal address is E Hennepin. HC should just stick to PID.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 10th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Shouldn't there be some consistency in where the cardinal direction is placed? Lyndale Ave S. Fremont Ave N. Why should Hennepin Ave E be written differently? It's 100% fine if people call it "East Hennepin" colloquially, to distinguish from other parts of Hennepin Ave, but consistency in the official address format seems like a good idea / hill I will die on.

EDIT: it appears I am partially wrong and nearly all Minneapolis street signs (especially downtown) begin with the cardinal direction (usually S, e.g. 'S 3rd Av'), which is the polar opposite of Hennepin County format. WTF Minneapolis? Street names should not begin with 'S', they should begin with the actual name of the damn street. IMO "Lyndale Ave S" is preferable to "S Lyndale Ave". I strongly dislike the practice of putting modifiers both before and after the name...that's just awkward. #streetnamefirst

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » August 10th, 2018, 2:37 pm

I suspect that there is a discrepancy between public works dept's signage-making practices and the city's addressing standard.

The city already has Minneapolis Addressing Standard v1.22 that says all directional markers should be used as suffixes.

Also, I don't understand why named streets in "South" streets areas don't get the "S" directional suffix, and it bugs me sooooo much.
(e.g. Nicollet Ave, Stevens Ave, Portland Ave, Chicago Ave, Park Ave, Cedar Ave, etc...)
Jonathan Ahn, AICP | [email protected]
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 10th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Also, I don't understand why named streets in "South" streets areas don't get the "S" directional suffix, and it bugs me sooooo much.
(e.g. Nicollet Ave, Stevens Ave, Portland Ave, Chicago Ave, Park Ave, Cedar Ave, etc...)
I would assume the rationale is that those streets lie entirely within the area with "south" addresses, so there's no need for a modifier, no?

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Postby kellonathan » August 10th, 2018, 2:57 pm

I think you might be right! That will also explain why the alphabet streets west of Lyndale (e.g. Aldrich-Bryant-Colfax...) has "S" attached to them too.
Personal thoughts and personal opinion only. May include incomplete information.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 10th, 2018, 3:02 pm

I suspect that there is a discrepancy between public works dept's signage-making practices and the city's addressing standard.

The city already has Minneapolis Addressing Standard v1.22 that says all directional markers should be used as suffixes.

Well there you have it. I am correct, but for some reason the City is still putting up incorrect street signs everywhere that begin with "S" and end with "Av" ("Ave" is correct). The delicious irony is that Public Works likely keeps doing it wrong for the sake of consistency with existing signs.

Can we at least all agree that numbered streets should never, ever be spelled out? (e.g. Sixth...just don't do it)

kellonathan
Nicollet Mall

Re: Minneapolis address format discrepancies

Postby kellonathan » August 10th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Maybe I have OCD or something, but signs with inconsistency really grind my gear...

2018-08-10 14_06_23-799 County Rd 3 - Google Maps by Jonathan Ahn, on Flickr

Also, this is technically correct, following the address standard and everything, but it just boggles my mind. SE streets stuck inbetween Central Ave NE and Hennepin Ave E...
2018-08-07 17_08_38-Property Interactive Map _ Hennepin County by Jonathan Ahn, on Flickr

MNdible
is great.

Re: Minneapolis address format discrepancies

Postby MNdible » August 10th, 2018, 3:33 pm

That is highly offensive.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » August 10th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Can we at least all agree that numbered streets should never, ever be spelled out? (e.g. Sixth...just don't do it)
You're in luck. Page 16 of the Minneapolis Street Naming and Address Standard V1.22 2004 Edition says:

Numeric street names shall be written using numerical rather than alphabetical spelling.
For example, 1 rather than One.

And:

Numeric street names shall include the alphabetic suffix to the numerical prefix. For example, 12TH rather than 12.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: RE: Re: Mortenson / USBank site - 333 Hennepin Ave E (290' - 26 stories)

Postby David Greene » August 10th, 2018, 5:59 pm

I strongly dislike the practice of putting modifiers both before and after the name...that's just awkward. #streetnamefirst
Then you're really going to hate W Lyndale Av N. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk