Fort Snelling Upper Post

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Daboink
Metrodome

Re: Fort Snelling Upper Post Afordable Housing

Postby Daboink » July 22nd, 2015, 6:20 pm

Side note, this is technically unincorporated Hennepin County, not Minneapolis.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 22nd, 2015, 6:38 pm

So what would that mean for residents? Not being part of a city, I mean.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 22nd, 2015, 7:08 pm

Doesn't this area already get municipal services from Minneapolis (except for the military installations)? Water, fire, police, etc. I've always figured it has to do with how there's MPRB facilities down there.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » July 22nd, 2015, 7:18 pm

I imagine they buy water from the city, like any other customer. The housing and VA medical center buildings across Minnehaha Avenue from the VA Hospital are served by VA Police, Hennepin County Sheriff and Hennepin County paramedics. I've even seen the Saint Paul Fire Department responding to the area so the VA must contract with them for fire and medical services.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Re: Fort Snelling Upper Post

Postby commissioner » July 23rd, 2015, 9:35 am

From what I remember Minneapolis Fire responds to the hospital and St Paul responds to the vet's home across the street(this may have changed, it's been a while) As for Fort Snelling itself, probably HCSO or DNR has everything else except the military stuff and the federal building which had their own security/police but HCSO responds as well for backup.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 5th, 2015, 7:02 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 15th, 2016, 11:08 am

Not the upper post, but...

I see the Governor's bonding bill has $34m for the new visitor's center.

It also notes that this is in Ramsey County -- which can't possibly right, can it? I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before, and I know it's unorganized territory, but still... it's clearly on the wrong side of the river to be Ramsey County.

mulad

Postby mulad » January 15th, 2016, 11:42 am

Yeah, the Upper Post area is definitely in Hennepin County. I wouldn't be surprised if some federal property bleeds across county lines down in the river valleys, but the fort area up on top of the bluff is all Hennepin.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » January 15th, 2016, 12:10 pm

Not the upper post, but...

I see the Governor's bonding bill has $34m for the new visitor's center.

It also notes that this is in Ramsey County -- which can't possibly right, can it? I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before, and I know it's unorganized territory, but still... it's clearly on the wrong side of the river to be Ramsey County.
Well I know for sure that Pike Island is in St. Paul proper, and that is on the "wrong side" of the Mississippi. The visitor's center is not on Pike Island, of course, but maybe that little wedge is part of Ramsey County? But yeah, I would certainly have assumed it was not.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Even though Ft. Snelling is in Hennepin County, it has a St. Paul zip code. There are sections of Lakeville which are Rosemount, MN for mailing purposes. And many other examples of that too.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » January 24th, 2016, 8:56 am

The historic fort is in Hennepin County, with a St Paul zip code and a Minneapolis (612) phone number. GPS systems don't know where it is. When they call 911, sometimes 3 (THREE) different ambulances show up!

To add to the confusion, Pike's Island is in St Paul / Ramsey County, and Picnic Island is technically Dakota County / Mendota City (note: NOT Mendota Heights) since Picnic Island wasn't an island until the river was widened and straightened
Urbanist in the north woods

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » March 29th, 2016, 9:02 pm

Nice to see some more news about the renovations for the visitors center. It seems like they have a really good intent. It would be nice to envision a better connection and engagement with Coldwater Spring and Minnehaha Park. Right now the traffic planning in that entire area is kind of a mess.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-hi ... 373932541/

Daboink
Metrodome

Postby Daboink » March 31st, 2016, 9:30 pm

As a Minnesota history buff; and in my own words a "reasonable" preservation buff; I'm more than thrilled with improvements to historic structures and their surrounding areas that allow better access and educational opportunities. This news makes me happy.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 14th, 2016, 8:06 am

Sounds like there was a fire at a construction trailer this morning?

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » May 25th, 2018, 12:29 pm

https://www.startribune.com/legislature ... 483632651/

$100 million allocated for these buildings to become "affordable housing"? I guess I really don't get it. More than a mile from the nearest transit stop, completely isolated from other land uses and not likely to change. It seems like the only people who would really benefit from living here would be people who could actually pay the $600,000 per unit this is going to cost (and who will universally drive everywhere anyway).

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » May 25th, 2018, 1:05 pm

https://www.startribune.com/legislature ... 483632651/

$100 million allocated for these buildings to become "affordable housing"? I guess I really don't get it. More than a mile from the nearest transit stop, completely isolated from other land uses and not likely to change. It seems like the only people who would really benefit from living here would be people who could actually pay the $600,000 per unit this is going to cost (and who will universally drive everywhere anyway).
According to google maps it is only a 10-15 minute walk to the Blue Line. But it is a gigantic waste of money in my opinion.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » May 25th, 2018, 1:13 pm

It's a big site. 19 minutes / 1.0 miles from the larger buildings on the south end of Sibley St -- and that's assuming cutting through the P&R lot rather than following sidewalk route. Even 15 minutes is not exactly transit-oriented.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 25th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Again, perfect location for an autonomous circulator shuttle.

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » November 21st, 2018, 9:24 pm

Urbanist in the north woods

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 2nd, 2022, 2:39 pm