Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Re: Calhoun Square

Postby TroyGBiv » October 24th, 2020, 11:02 am

I immediately knew what the name referenced. But I am an “agency guy”. As an agency guy I also immediately knew that this new place name has no meaning to anyone. This little random reference to 7 points on the sign is not relevant to anything. How about “Many Empty Storefronts” using the same feeble logic. The area is the Uptown... not putting that in the name was professional marketing malpractice. Place names tell you where something is located... Seven Corners is the intersection of Washington and Cedar... 5 Points is in Denver... place names matter... They blew it on this...

COLSLAW5
Metrodome

Re: Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Postby COLSLAW5 » January 15th, 2021, 10:03 am

According to city building permits looks like they are going to be opening a Chase bank location in 3,400 sqft of the main floor of seven points.

uptownbro
Nicollet Mall

Postby uptownbro » January 15th, 2021, 10:14 am

It looks like construction has started on the corner of lake and Hennepin. The sephora was being cleared out on Wednesday

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » January 15th, 2021, 12:52 pm

According to city building permits looks like they are going to be opening a Chase bank location in 3,400 sqft of the main floor of seven points.
Who else is tired of banks taking up prime retail space? Also - banks holding onto prime land real estate that would make for great redevelopment?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 15th, 2021, 1:13 pm

Banks and mattress stores, man.

NickP
Rice Park

Postby NickP » January 15th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Why the bank hate real estate wise? I would think it's a good, useful resource to have in a neighborhood, and a good foot traffic builder.

COLSLAW5
Metrodome

Postby COLSLAW5 » January 15th, 2021, 3:08 pm

They are doing a lot of construction I think this is going to include them reopening that Hennepin and lake corner as an entrance into the mall

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » January 15th, 2021, 5:05 pm

Banks and mattress stores, man.
Ha!

Austinite
Metrodome

Postby Austinite » January 15th, 2021, 5:18 pm

Why the bank hate real estate wise? I would think it's a good, useful resource to have in a neighborhood, and a good foot traffic builder.
Sorry to anyone who works in the banking industry, just my personal opinion most are are greedy, corrupt organizations. Look at the fallout from the Wells Fargo scandal or how several banks used the money form the recession relief packages to give their CEOs bonuses, etc.

Examples of some bank locations that in my mind would be better off redeveloped:

Drive through bank at Lake/Nicollet
Bank along Lake in Uptown that was redeveloped with a huge surface parking lot
USB Bank off E. Hennepin again with drive through and large surface parking lot.

I also don't really think Banks really create that much foot traffic as most people do their banking online now adays. I live out of state, but my credit union is located in MN. I laughed when City Center first announced several exciting new tenants lined up while being renovated, and later announced one was a bank branch.

NickP
Rice Park

Postby NickP » January 15th, 2021, 8:53 pm

Got it. All stuff I hadn't considered. Thanks :)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 18th, 2021, 9:52 am

Examples of some bank locations that in my mind would be better off redeveloped:

Drive through bank at Lake/Nicollet
Bank along Lake in Uptown that was redeveloped with a huge surface parking lot
USB Bank off E. Hennepin again with drive through and large surface parking lot.

I also don't really think Banks really create that much foot traffic as most people do their banking online now adays.
As somebody who did my own (infrequent) in-person banking at the Wells Fargo branch on Lake and Nicollet, I can tell you that that branch was always very busy, and the customer base had a very large immigrant population, and they ensured that their employee base (tellers to management) represented the communities they were serving. I suspect that the drive-in part of the facility was overbuilt (never used it and didn't pay much attention to it), but the retail floor of the bank proper was very well used.

Blaisdell Greenway
Nicollet Mall

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » January 19th, 2021, 9:26 am

That WF is also my branch and inside was ALWAYS busy. Line out the door busy, pretty much every time. Truly a marvel. I've been to every other WF branch in the city and while some have had lines, none come close to that level.

Not to get too off topic but well-sourced rumor is that WF will "build up" when they redevelop. No idea on timeline.

uptownbro
Nicollet Mall

Postby uptownbro » January 19th, 2021, 9:53 am

It really depends on the bank branch. Some are very busy like the lake and Nicollet one. Others not so much. When I talked to some wells fargo people they said it would be a multi year rebuild after the demo is done what ever that means.

BoredAgain
Landmark Center

Postby BoredAgain » January 21st, 2021, 10:28 am

I live near the Lake/Nicollet WF, but it isn't my bank. I am happy they are rebuilding it because bank branches do serve local residents by design. I am just sad that the rioters didn't manage to damage the giant drive-through structure. They cleared the site of the burned building, but left the five (?) lane drive-through. It looks to me like they plan to just attach the new building to the old car structure. Apparently the inside lobby was always busy (I never went in) but in all of the times I went by, I never saw any lines of cars, except at the ATM which is also always busy.