Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Postby Minneboy » May 13th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Sure okay. I can see all the people rushing over there to park in a parking ramp to go buy groceries. Oh wait...Cub..no parking ramp.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » May 13th, 2021, 4:40 pm

I don't think parking in a ramp to buy groceries is a big deal. They'll have escalators and large elevators between the parking and the store.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 13th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Right, no one goes to grocery stores with parking garages, which is why the Old St Anthony Lunds and downtown Whole Foods have been such abject failures.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » May 13th, 2021, 7:55 pm

Also, Cub planned to build a new store with a parking ramp in Uptown a few years ago. I believe the idea was scrapped because they would lose market share while the store was closed and would have a tough time getting it back from the area competitors.

If Lunds goes in at Seven Points then they can close the existing store once the new one is built.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 14th, 2021, 8:03 am

Right, no one goes to grocery stores with parking garages, which is why the Old St Anthony Lunds and downtown Whole Foods have been such abject failures.
Don't forget the Selby/Snelling Whole Foods, which definitely doesn't have a line out the door every day.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 14th, 2021, 8:18 am

Also, Cub planned to build a new store with a parking ramp in Uptown a few years ago. I believe the idea was scrapped because they would lose market share while the store was closed and would have a tough time getting it back from the area competitors.

If Lunds goes in at Seven Points then they can close the existing store once the new one is built.
That's exactly their strategy in Highland Park as well. They're getting a newer, larger store without having the close the current one for 18+months of construction. In that case, they're moving from a leased location to a leased location, but in Uptown they'd also be setting themselves up to sell their very valuable real estate to a developer. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Lunds already has a deal with Ryan or Doran to redevelop their current site.

Sidebar: I was not aware that Kitchen Window isn't a chain. I assumed this was a national chain, not a single location unique business. I guess I was assuming they'd pack it up and move to 50th & France or Galleria or something, but maybe they're just calling a career if their lease is expiring. CB2, I assume, will resurface elsewhere in the metro, likely at Galleria or in North Loop.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 14th, 2021, 8:38 am

The Fresh Thyme’s location at Excelsior and Grand has their main parking under the apartments above the grocery. The whole block, though has a nice amount of on-street parking as well.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 14th, 2021, 9:14 am

All of the examples above of grocery stores with structured parking are correct, of course, but they were all dedicated, purpose built on only one or two levels with typically flat-plate parking decks and well designed vertical circulation. The existing Seven Points parking ramp is a completely different animal. (Which isn't to say that a new grocery store couldn't construct a new below grade parking deck.)

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 21st, 2021, 1:54 pm

Yeah no way the existing ramp is sufficient IMO.

This is potentially a pretty great concept though. The pedestrian path area could be a game changer if done well.
Towns!

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » June 8th, 2021, 1:09 pm

Looks like the chase bank branch is close to opening. I also got a look at the new Hennepin and lake entrance

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » December 1st, 2021, 8:47 am

The founders of Can can wonderland will be opening a Mini-Golf, Sculpture Garden in the old fig and farro space. It will include "arts performance area, a rooftop sculpture garden, and artist-designed mini-golf"
https://tcbmag.com/mini-golf-sculpture- ... in-uptown/

RedDutch
Metrodome

Postby RedDutch » December 2nd, 2021, 10:18 am

Well at least they are thinking outside of the box. I have been to Can Can Wonderland once and it was pretty fun. I'd love to know the timeline on the two apartment buildings that have been proposed.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » December 3rd, 2021, 6:59 am

This is great. Reconfiguring all this shopping into entertainment could be a great path forward, especially if there's some centerpiece places like this.

Xcskier56
Block E

Postby Xcskier56 » December 3rd, 2021, 7:43 am

Wow, so forward thinking of Chase bank to include mini golf in a branch!

All jokes aside, as of yesterday, a large portion (maybe all, I didn’t notice) of the fig and farrow space was occupied by a brand new Chase Bank branch, so I kinda doubt they’ll be moving out. Maybe this will go into where Libertine used to be?

Edit: reading the article more closely, they say it’ll have a rooftop sculpture garden. 100% going into the old Libertine space

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » December 5th, 2021, 3:16 pm

This is great! I love cancan wonderland. I hits a lot of my hipster tendencies lol :-)

rhettcarlson
Nicollet Mall

Postby rhettcarlson » February 10th, 2022, 2:15 pm

"On the horizon is an announcement from Northpond about dramatic changes to Seven Points. “We want to add density, multifamily residential, we want to make it interactive to the streets,” says Ankin."

Positive quote from Northpond about their housing plans here. I hope we see an announcement and plans soon. Once the Old Chicago site wraps up Uptown won't have any cranes in the sky for the first time in probably a decade.

https://tcbmag.com/uptown-looks-up-from-the-bottom/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 15th, 2022, 12:05 pm

I bet it'll look something like this, from May 2021:
I'm guessing these are the images Austinite is referring to: https://www.instagram.com/sevenpointsuptown/ (one has a "grocery" sign on the mixed use building)
Or these from North Pond's website: https://northpond.com/portfolio/sevenpoints/ (where I pulled the image below)

A new home for Lunds is a good guess. While they tend to own most of their older properties, they've also become tenants in new mixed-use developments: Nokomis/Cedar and Highland Bridge. If it is indeed a Lunds at the base of the mixed-use development that would replace the entire southern half of the Seven Points complex, I suspect they would operate the current store until it opens, and then sell off their property for development. Lunds is sitting on 1.75 acres in the heart of Uptown, which could fetch them $6-10MM depending on future market conditions.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 17th, 2022, 6:46 pm

And, here's the CoW packet.

The plan is now to demo the Kitchen Window, CB2, and Famous Dave's spaces, along with the existing entry, and build a seven-story building in their place with 264 apartments on levels 3-7, 116 stalls of resident parking on level 2, a 45ksf grocery store and 4ksf restaurant space on the ground level, and 115 grocery store parking stalls in the basement. Unlike the previous image above, the opening of the U shape faces Hennepin, and there will be an enclosed atrium connecting the new building to the existing mall instead of an open promenade. So I guess the biggest question is, which grocery store is moving in? Presumably Lunds, this is basically the same design as the new one on Cedar, but I guess it could be Cub?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 17th, 2022, 7:17 pm

Lunds would be the biggest win! I always imagine Holmes being able to run up to the mall, getting rid of that super block and having basically two whole new walkable uptown blocks!

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » February 17th, 2022, 7:24 pm

Uptown is dead.