Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Postby Minneboy » May 13th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Sure okay. I can see all the people rushing over there to park in a parking ramp to go buy groceries. Oh wait...Cub..no parking ramp.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » May 13th, 2021, 4:40 pm

I don't think parking in a ramp to buy groceries is a big deal. They'll have escalators and large elevators between the parking and the store.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 13th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Right, no one goes to grocery stores with parking garages, which is why the Old St Anthony Lunds and downtown Whole Foods have been such abject failures.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » May 13th, 2021, 7:55 pm

Also, Cub planned to build a new store with a parking ramp in Uptown a few years ago. I believe the idea was scrapped because they would lose market share while the store was closed and would have a tough time getting it back from the area competitors.

If Lunds goes in at Seven Points then they can close the existing store once the new one is built.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 14th, 2021, 8:03 am

Right, no one goes to grocery stores with parking garages, which is why the Old St Anthony Lunds and downtown Whole Foods have been such abject failures.
Don't forget the Selby/Snelling Whole Foods, which definitely doesn't have a line out the door every day.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 14th, 2021, 8:18 am

Also, Cub planned to build a new store with a parking ramp in Uptown a few years ago. I believe the idea was scrapped because they would lose market share while the store was closed and would have a tough time getting it back from the area competitors.

If Lunds goes in at Seven Points then they can close the existing store once the new one is built.
That's exactly their strategy in Highland Park as well. They're getting a newer, larger store without having the close the current one for 18+months of construction. In that case, they're moving from a leased location to a leased location, but in Uptown they'd also be setting themselves up to sell their very valuable real estate to a developer. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that Lunds already has a deal with Ryan or Doran to redevelop their current site.

Sidebar: I was not aware that Kitchen Window isn't a chain. I assumed this was a national chain, not a single location unique business. I guess I was assuming they'd pack it up and move to 50th & France or Galleria or something, but maybe they're just calling a career if their lease is expiring. CB2, I assume, will resurface elsewhere in the metro, likely at Galleria or in North Loop.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 14th, 2021, 8:38 am

The Fresh Thyme’s location at Excelsior and Grand has their main parking under the apartments above the grocery. The whole block, though has a nice amount of on-street parking as well.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 14th, 2021, 9:14 am

All of the examples above of grocery stores with structured parking are correct, of course, but they were all dedicated, purpose built on only one or two levels with typically flat-plate parking decks and well designed vertical circulation. The existing Seven Points parking ramp is a completely different animal. (Which isn't to say that a new grocery store couldn't construct a new below grade parking deck.)

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 21st, 2021, 1:54 pm

Yeah no way the existing ramp is sufficient IMO.

This is potentially a pretty great concept though. The pedestrian path area could be a game changer if done well.
Towns!

uptownbro
Landmark Center

Postby uptownbro » June 8th, 2021, 1:09 pm

Looks like the chase bank branch is close to opening. I also got a look at the new Hennepin and lake entrance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.