Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Calhoun Square

Postby Nathan » August 15th, 2012, 10:20 am

Chain... It's a local restaurant group...

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » August 15th, 2012, 3:51 pm

According to a Strib article, Republic will be opening a second location in the old Independent space later this year! I'd throw in a link, but I'm on my phone. Regardless, great news as far as I'm concerned.
The Independent is gone? I kinda liked that one!
I liked it as well. Unfortunately they forgot to pay their taxes. :x

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » August 15th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Do they have more than one other location? I feel like two bars does not a chain make.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 16th, 2012, 7:24 am

Do they have more than one other location? I feel like two bars does not a chain make.
I agree, Yoda, although that may be the technical term. I'd say 3 is a chain, 2 is a successful business that wants to expand.

lewismd
Block E

Postby lewismd » August 17th, 2012, 10:45 am

Best Calhoun Square news I've heard lately: http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 24546.html

The Republic opening a second location in the old Independent space! Uptown badly needs a good beer bar (yeah, Williams isn't it) and Republic is fantastic. They're aiming for November opening, which would be damn quick.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 27th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Sounds like H&M should be open just in time to get a few of those Holiday Sales.

Article

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 28th, 2012, 3:07 pm

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » December 14th, 2012, 7:51 pm

H&M opened today. Calhoun Square was, what's the word? Hopping? No. Moderately busy? Yeah. It is nice not to have the huge vacancy there anymore.
My flickr photos.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 15th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Good to get the vacancy down. Now just a few more spaces that will bring in people.
I saw that the clothing store "Atmosfere" On Lake and Hennepin is relocating into Calhoun Square. I'm wondering if they will have street frontage in the mall? I do like their storefront on Lake street with its large glass windows. Will make a nice, visible location for another shop to open up in the neighborhood.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » December 16th, 2012, 5:52 pm

They will be located inside on the second level next to LA Fitness.
They sure move a lot. Didn't they used to be in Calhoun? I know they also used to have a location downtown.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 16th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Yep, they were in Calhoun Square before the remodel. Their lease was up in the Rainbow building and was not renewed. I went to the new location today. Rumor is that a floor/tile shop will go into their old spot in the Rainbow Building.

They are across the hall from H&M, so hopefully they can catch some cross-traffic, even though the price-points are vastly different. It's still pretty dead up there on the 2nd level.

uptowner
City Center

Postby uptowner » June 26th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Does anybody know what's going into Calhoun Square between AT&T and H&M? Looks like something is going on there.

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Re: Uptown Projects Map

Postby aeisenberg » June 30th, 2013, 1:25 pm

^^^IMO, the vacant parcel next to Calhoun Square is way, way overdue for development. It's by far the worst gap in the urban fabric and feel of Uptown. It's such a great place for a hotel, residential, and/or retail mix. It really needs a more proactive owner with some vision and enthusiasm to get the train rolling.
Yeah, does anyone know the story there? I mean, this is just about the most slam-dunkiest parcel in the city. It's absurd it hasn't been developed. Someone please explain this to us lay-folk.
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 30th, 2013, 1:34 pm

As a fellow lay person, I'd be happy for the more knowledgeable folks here to correct me, but isn't it as simple as the owner, looking at what's going on nearby, thinking that the longer he waits, letting more development happen nearby, the higher the land prices will rise, allowing for greater profits when the land is eventually developed.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 30th, 2013, 1:37 pm

That, or the owner is waiting for demand to catch up (or fill up) supply first before entering the market. Perhaps he/she was late to the game?

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » June 30th, 2013, 3:29 pm

I thought that land was owned by the Calhoun Square people, and it was meant to be where an expansion was supposed to be but never happened? Now they just seem to be sitting on it.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 30th, 2013, 6:00 pm

THey bought high on the land cost bubble, so I think they want to hold out for a land price that they can either make a profit or cut their loses to a minimum. Not sure they will be the developer, I think they want out, but not too much red ink. I could be wrong though.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » July 1st, 2013, 7:58 am

I thought that land was owned by the Calhoun Square people, and it was meant to be where an expansion was supposed to be but never happened? Now they just seem to be sitting on it.
That's right. The land is owned by Calhoun Square. Lord knows what they plan to do with it or what their timeline is.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 2nd, 2013, 11:48 am

I believe that the group was the Blackstone group from outside Minneapolis. They bought Calhoun Square and the other developable land to add another phase to the retail section and housing also. At that time the housing was Condos. Not long after they bought and tried to get a large development that was shot down by the NIMBYs, the condo market started to tank. THey kinda bought as the bubble rose and now have to wait until they can be for sure that they can get the most Bang for their buck.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 2nd, 2013, 12:21 pm

Not long after they bought and tried to get a large development that was shot down by the NIMBYs...
The rest of the timeline you laid out seems right, but I honestly don't recall that this proposal was tied up in approvals, by NIMBY's or otherwise.