Seven Points Uptown (Calhoun Square)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
nBode
Union Depot

Re: Calhoun Square

Postby nBode » December 1st, 2015, 7:37 pm

(in my opinion) Pedestrian bridges are for freeways. A marked crosswalk here would be great.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 1st, 2015, 9:26 pm

I think it would work here because there's only one lane in each direction and no room for someone to swerve around. Plus, this isn't a fast thoroughfare to begin with. There's usually a line of cars waiting to get through the lights and when there isn't, responsible drivers are driving slower to begin with due to all the random j-walkers darting across the road. I think it'd make crossing much safer.

If Penzeys Spices ever vacates their location it'd be interesting to consider a partial modification of the structure to accommodate a pedestrian bridge. There's plenty of existing room on the east side of Hennepin for a staircase or it could simply come off the 2nd floor of Calhoun Square. Or, removal of two parking spots on either side of the road at that spot might accommodate it as well. I know, crazy idea... :)
I think drivers should slow down and obey crosswalks and get ticketed if they don't. Build a bridge because people can't be more careful?

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » December 2nd, 2015, 10:11 am

A mid-block pedestrian bridge is likely not practical to begin with. There's more to it than just safety though. If the new main/grand/spacious entrance is supposed to be mid-block there needs to be some sort of mid-block landmark to draw people's attention to it. Some sort of fountain or statue that can be seen up and down the street would be cool. Then, maybe replace several parking spots on both sides of the road in front of it with mid-block bump outs and a crosswalk running between them.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » December 3rd, 2015, 11:26 pm

you mean, you'd like a bridge like this , which was contemplated for Hennepin-Lake in 1964?

More on it: http://www.ouruptown.com/2012/04/planni ... ake-study/

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » December 4th, 2015, 10:58 am

Wow, interesting! I think though the only utility for something like this coming out of Calhoun Square would be to facilitate quicker back and forth access to the parking ramp from the opposite side of the street. It'd probably be more of an inconvenience for simple pedestrian crossings.

I do wish that the south-west block in that plan had been realized!!

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » December 4th, 2015, 12:29 pm

I remember a pedestrian bridge in Okinawa bit off the back gate of Kadena AB at a major intersecion (very much busier than Heen/Lake). The bridge went over all 4 streets at the intersection in a square with stairs at each corner. It was widely used and save a lot of time verses having to wait at the light to cross, then another cross if you have that intention.

Just did a google map search of the intersection. Things have changed a lot in 34 years :) The bridge is no longer there.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 4th, 2015, 2:12 pm

I remember a pedestrian bridge in Okinawa bit off the back gate of Kadena AB at a major intersecion (very much busier than Heen/Lake). The bridge went over all 4 streets at the intersection in a square with stairs at each corner. It was widely used and save a lot of time verses having to wait at the light to cross, then another cross if you have that intention.

Just did a google map search of the intersection. Things have changed a lot in 34 years :) The bridge is no longer there.
I like those entire intersection pedestrian things. In Budapest every main intersection had one, but underneath the roadway. They were lined with shops, and some were also subway entrances.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » December 4th, 2015, 2:16 pm

It also speeds up through traffic significantly. Can you imagine how long it'd take to drive down the Vegas strip without them?

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 3rd, 2016, 8:59 am

Roat Osha is moving into Uptown's Calhoun Square
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... polis.html

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 3rd, 2016, 9:38 am

Damn. I accidentally just wasted one of my three June stories on that one.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 3rd, 2016, 10:17 am

Right click -> open in incognito window
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 3rd, 2016, 10:21 am

Weird, it was a free article for me, and I've never seen limits on article views before. It's either locked or unlocked.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » June 3rd, 2016, 10:54 am

The whole Roat Osha thing is so strange. It's literally the same menu as Tum Rup so I guess the draw is the bar and patio seating?

Apparently both businesses are successful enough but I have no idea why. IME service is much better at Tum Rup.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

1301 West Lake Street - Uptown

Postby Qhaberl » August 14th, 2017, 8:42 am

I am starting this topic as a preemptive strike. The fact that this lot has not yet been developed is extremely surprising. It is in an ideal location. Below, you will find images from Google maps, Apple Maps, Google satellite, and Street view.

Here's an image from Google maps. This image clearly identifies the area I am talking about.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201708 ... c387a7.png[/IMG]

Here's an image from Google satellite view. As you can see the area is nothing but dirt.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201708 ... 52a6ef.png[/IMG]

Here's an image from Google Street view. The chain-link fence around the property has been up forever.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201708 ... 6ca09a.png[/IMG]

Here is the picture of the same property with the Hennepin county interactive property map.
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201708 ... fe774a.png[/IMG]

Here are a few images from Apple Maps flyover view
Looking south
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201708 ... 7f79e8.png[/IMG]
Looking east
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201708 ... 4ffe38.png[/IMG]
Looking west
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201708 ... fda28e.png[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: 1301 West Lake Street - Uptown

Postby Qhaberl » August 14th, 2017, 8:45 am

When this site ever does get developed, if it gets developed, we can pin the development to the top on the fourm topic. What are people stats on this? This seems like such a prime location.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » August 14th, 2017, 9:10 am

Calhoun Square owns it, right? I'm surprised they think a vacant lot is better for their business than more retail space.

Uptown could use a good music that can support acts that take up more space than a trance dj. That'd be a great spot.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 14th, 2017, 9:13 am

This lot has been discussed a number of times in the general uptown thread, but it's scattered all about I'm sure.

It's owned by the same organization that (fairly recently) owns Calhoun square, the Ackerberg Group. They are also responsible for the multiple phases of mosaic.

There have been a number of rumors including a leaked rendering from their website of a 7 to 10 story building with ground floor retail, two stories of medical office space and some stories of hotel above.

It's been silent on that front for quite some time.

One can only assume that they are focusing on mosaic and will do something with the Calhoun square lot when it pencils out or they have the time/resources?

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » August 14th, 2017, 9:29 am

Maybe for the time being they could partner with the neighborhood association and others and make a park or etc. with the lot? Throw in some temporary art, plantings and seating. Given that they have interest in other properties in the area a better looking/functioning site here would be to their benefit.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 14th, 2017, 10:20 am

This lot has been discussed a number of times in the general uptown thread, but it's scattered all about I'm sure.
That's one reason why I wanted to start this topic. It's only a matter of time until this gets developed. It's much easier to find information if it's all in one place.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 14th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Y.know, medical space would be pretty good here. Right now the existing clinics are tucked away in not-visible places. Most people don't even know they're there. Assuming PP is going to rebuild on their existing site, it would be a convenient complementary location.

I'm really struggling to think of what retail could be successful here. The area is pretty saturated already. I like the idea of a music venue a lot.