Midtown Global Market

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
TommyT
Target Field

Re: Midtown Global Market

Postby TommyT » August 25th, 2014, 8:04 am

Can't believe it took me two years to go here. I'll be going back on a semi-regular basis. Reminds me of the North Market in Columbus: more restaurant oriented than grocery. And now a brewpub?
sometimes I wonder where and what you've actually done in Minneapolis you complain about the most obvious basic stuff but then don't go out and experience the good stuff?
Well, since we're commenting... That and you seem to refer to EVERYTHING in Minneapolis as something Columbus has, and half the time it's better in Columbus. Why leave Columbus then? :?:

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » August 25th, 2014, 8:13 am

Columbus is the largest city in the U.S. without any passenger rail service.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 25th, 2014, 3:38 pm

You guys never miss an opportunity to stick it to him, do you?

Realstreets
Nicollet Mall

Re: Eastlake Craft Brewery (Midtown Global)

Postby Realstreets » August 26th, 2014, 11:10 am

Looking forward to them opening. Any brewery that says specifically they're going to brew lagers is good in my book. Not enough micro-lagers out there. Everyone is still on this hoppy-ale craze...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 18th, 2014, 1:07 pm

Owners of the Global Market still haven't read Donald Shoup's book: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 133795.pdf

How long can this go on? Is the market really that dependent on people who will only go there if the parking is free? The owners/managers seem really hung up on this idea that the market must attract more "grocery shoppers" who are less inclined to pay for parking than restaurant users. If it's such a winning idea, then whoever wants to run a grocery operation should validate parking for their customers.

Speaking of the MGM, I haven't had a torta in a while...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 18th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Psshhh, I use the parking validation all the time for quick lunch runs. Why use quarters for the old-school meter farm out front when I can park in the ramp for free? Suckaz!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 14th, 2014, 10:32 pm

East Lake Brewing opened this weekend. And it is good.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » November 4th, 2015, 9:18 pm

Taco Cat is opening a storefront in Midtown Global Market by the end of November:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... urant.html

Now those of us who'll be outside of their winter delivery radius can still get our Taco Cat on!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 4th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Best palindromic mexican food in town.

I was honestly surprised that it took them this long to do this, since they've been operating out of the MGM for quite a while now.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » November 4th, 2015, 11:51 pm

Noticed the coming soon signs inside the market a couple Fridays ago and have been anxiously awaiting its arrival, as we do live outside their delivery area!
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 5th, 2015, 9:24 am

Hell yeah. Love Taco Cat. I've been ordering probably once or twice a month since they started up.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 5th, 2015, 10:36 am

Their FAQ section of their website is comedic gold. Or at least I laugh a lot when I read it.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 5th, 2015, 11:21 am

You could always order Taco Cat and go to Midtown and have them "deliver" it to you there, but a restaurant sounds nice.

Though, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of theirs. I like their rice and beans and everything else is kinda "eh" for me.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 5th, 2015, 2:37 pm

You could always order Taco Cat and go to Midtown and have them "deliver" it to you there, but a restaurant sounds nice.

Though, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of theirs. I like their rice and beans and everything else is kinda "eh" for me.
Not Taco Bell enough? ;)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 5th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Yeah fmp, what makes a prefect taco? I mean a taco is a taco right?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 5th, 2015, 3:03 pm

Quite the opposite, too Taco Bell :D

I much prefer the burritos Pineda Tacos, a block away from my house, even if actually ordering food there is an exercise in frustration.

Not that I think there's any inherent value in my burrito being "authentic" or "inauthentic," but Taco Cat to me is more "inauthentic" and I prefer the "authentic."

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 5th, 2015, 3:05 pm

So you like high quality materials, and recipes that someone knowledgeable took time to put together huh?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 5th, 2015, 3:11 pm

No, because Taco Cat has that too. Full disclosure I guess, I don't count Taco Bell as Mexican. Taco Bell is Taco Bell. And the only reason I've eaten so much of it is because I'm really lazy and it was literally across the street from me.

Taco Cat is like a fancy white man's burrito, and I much prefer simpler food with simpler flavors, which is why I'd choose a Pineda Burrito, or even Chipotle or Qdoba, over Taco Cat any day.

Honestly I don't care if someone else likes Taco Cat, I just like to be contrarian about the I guess :D

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 5th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Quite the opposite, too Taco Bell :D

I much prefer the burritos Pineda Tacos, a block away from my house, even if actually ordering food there is an exercise in frustration.

Not that I think there's any inherent value in my burrito being "authentic" or "inauthentic," but Taco Cat to me is more "inauthentic" and I prefer the "authentic."
I couldn't agree more. I was really wanting to love their food. But it was pretty much "meh" on my authenticity scale. There are other, more affordable, better-quality options. This is very much geared after the hipster crowd. Which is great, and I commend them. But I love some of the other taco trucks on Lake Street, and some of the other Mexican restaurants that offer more authentic tacos and burritos at a lower price.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 5th, 2015, 3:18 pm

So you like high quality materials, and recipes that someone knowledgeable took time to put together huh?
I see the snark here now :D and actually I tend to like simpler cheap food with low quality ingredients. Take me to a fancy restaurant with tiny portions that cost an arm and a leg and I just get grumpy. I'm hungry! I need food! Not art!