Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby mister.shoes » September 12th, 2016, 9:27 am

Take-out (for now) is fine by me. I'm excited to try some new local food options.

A small park is exactly what this intersection needs and would make take-out joints more successful. We actually ordered Pizza Hut one time (desperate measures; hush ya'll) and sat on a bench in front of Sovereign Grounds to eat it. There's one tiny old white house behind Levain and across the street from this new joint that has always struck me as a really odd place for a really sad-looking house. That would be a perfect place for a pocket park close to all the action.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 12th, 2016, 11:39 am

I'd like to see that white house become a fourplex possibly with a storefront. Of course, it's a shame the teardownmcmansion was built on the corner next to it (with a curb cut that destroyed prime business-node parking).

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 12th, 2016, 11:54 am

That is perhaps the ugliest replacement of a tear down in the city too.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » September 12th, 2016, 12:10 pm

I've had some of the Korean BBQ food. The owner was at a neighborhood event serving it. Good stuff, glad to see it coming into the neighborhood.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 12th, 2016, 1:08 pm

I'd like to see that white house become a fourplex possibly with a storefront. Of course, it's a shame the teardownmcmansion was built on the corner next to it (with a curb cut that destroyed prime business-node parking).
Technically the one on the corner wasn't a teardown. That was an empty lot. The second house in from the corner replaced the tiny bungalow that had been there prior.

Fun fact: I toured that doomed bungalow when I was house-shopping in 2008. It was 600ish square feet and had a jack and jill bathroom on the main floor. Whoever owned it also owned the empty corner lot and was selling them as a package for some ridiculous amount of money.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 12th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Cont: setting aside the obvious best solution of the two lots being developed together as townhomes or a small apartment complex (or, hey, a little park on the corner!), given the white house blocking access to the alley there was no other way for the new house on the end to have a driveway without adding a curb cut.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 20th, 2016, 9:39 am

Some thoughts on my new 'hood (Ericsson)... I live about halfway between two decent commercial nodes: 28th Av & 42nd St, and 34th Av & 50th St (boy it would be nice if those north-south arterials had names instead of numbers...) As the crow flies, I'm closer to 28th Av & 42nd, but I actually live on 34th Av and my commute takes me past 34th & 50th every day, so I patronize that area a lot more. (Also 34th & 50th is actually south of Ericsson, and is considered East Nokomis)

34th Av & 50th is already one of the most useful/practical nodes in the entire city: a nice grocery store (Oxendales), liquor store, ~4 restaurants (one of them being Town Hall Lanes), Post Office, 2 major bank branches, multiple barbers, shoe store, small hardware store (at 52nd), a gas station (SA), and too many car repair shops. The basics are all here. A couple more restaurant options would be nice, but between Al Vento, Sassy Spoon, Town Hall, and Dominguez, that's a pretty nice little variety. There's another mini-node at 54th St with a breakfast joint, used book store, corner store, and a tire shop (in a nice, newer building FWIW). There's not much you can't do on 34th Av between 50th and 54th. One obvious area for improvement would be a rebuilt street with boulevard trees. There's not a single tree for over a block & a half, between US Bank and about 51st Street.

28th Av & 42nd St is a much smaller node, but it has some good stuff too, including Busters, A Bakers Wife, Angry Catfish, Bill's Garden Chinese, a barber, and a gift shop. Stretching east on 42nd, there are two convenience stores (Dokken's and Flag), a pet clinic, and a nice big Hudson's True Value Hardware Store. They actually carry a pretty full line for a neighborhood hardware store, in contrast to some of the tiny old hardware stores you find around the city (Bryant Hardware, etc.) I'm going to be spending a lot of time & money at Hudson's Hardware. Further east at 31st Av, there's Chris & Rob's Chicago Taste Authority, which has (overpriced) hot dogs & (surprisingly) some decent tap beer. This is technically the closest place I could go eat...I just wish the Chicago dogs weren't damn near $5.

Oh, and I have to mention Sunrise Inn, which is just two blocks down 34th Ave from me. I haven't been in there, and don't know if I ever will. It looks pretty sketchy, but how sketchy can a place be that only sells 3.2 beer? Yes, that's right, Sunrise Inn is a 3.2 bar. That's (still) a thing, apparently.

So what's missing? COFFEE!! There are zero proper coffee shops at either of these business nodes, or frankly anywhere else in the neighborhood (other than Nokomis Beach Cafe, but that's way over at 28th Av & 50th St, which is not near me or either of these nodes.) There's the two donut shops (Bakers Wife and Mel-O-Glaze), the latter of which has some seating if you wanted to hang, but the coffee menu is almost certainly limited and/or mediocre. There's Angry Catfish, which is primarily an upscale bicycle store that also sells coffee and co-brands itself as a cafe. But not many people are going to hang out there and drink coffee, especially if they're not into "bike culture". I'd go in and get a cup by myself, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing homework or reading for 2 hours. And my gf probably wouldn't go there at all, because it's a damn bike store, not a proper coffee shop. It's pretty ridiculous there's no coffee shop anywhere on 34th Av, between 42nd and 50th Streets. 46th St Station would seem an obvious choice to serve commuters & nearby residents, but something on 34th would be better. A coffee shop next to (or in place of) Sunrise Inn would be pretty awesome.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 20th, 2016, 10:07 am

34th Av & 50th is already one of the most useful/practical nodes in the entire city
There's a reason why I picked proximity to this node in my "Live Closer to Stuff[/url]" post: https://streets.mn/2015/09/16/live-closer-to-stuff/ We didn't manage to live a walkable distance to it, but I went to Oxendale's yesterday because it's a bit nicer than Bergan's, which is closer to us. We'd probably be regulars are Al Vento if we liked it better.

There's also a public library, which would probably be useful if one had kids.
a nice big Hudson's True Value Hardware Store. They actually carry a pretty full line for a neighborhood hardware store
I try to use Hudson's for my hardware needs (instead of Home Depot).

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

So what's missing? COFFEE!! There are zero proper coffee shops at either of these business nodes, or frankly anywhere else in the neighborhood (other than Nokomis Beach Cafe, but that's way over at 28th Av & 50th St, which is not near me or either of these nodes.)
Did Keen Eye Coffee (38th & 28th) close? I only went once on a ride, but it seemed nice. Not that it's much closer.

Of course, there are still more coffee shops within a mile of here than in all of North Minneapolis and East St. Paul combined.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 20th, 2016, 10:57 am

I too agree that there should be a coffee shop at 34th and 46th. I think it's close enough to the Blue Line stop that it could get some of that morning walkshed traffic, but it's more "neighborhoody" than the Oaks Station Place. And I have no idea how that Oaks Station Place storefront will fill without street parking on 46th or Hiawatha.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 20th, 2016, 11:20 am

So what's missing? COFFEE!! There are zero proper coffee shops at either of these business nodes, or frankly anywhere else in the neighborhood (other than Nokomis Beach Cafe, but that's way over at 28th Av & 50th St, which is not near me or either of these nodes.)
Did Keen Eye Coffee (38th & 28th) close? I only went once on a ride, but it seemed nice. Not that it's much closer.
No it's still open AFAIK, but I was thinking specifically in the latitude of 42nd to 50th Street. Since I work south of Mpls, I don't travel north of 42nd Street very much, unless taking the train downtown.

Can you imagine if the Sunrise Inn building was instead a coffee shop / diner type place like a Gigi's? The likelihood of that happening is probably less than just fully replacing it with a new mixed-use development though...

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 20th, 2016, 11:45 am

Nice review of the area. My parents live down by the Crosstown just east of 34th a few blocks and spend a lot of time up at that node. We get there on occasion ourselves, though 48th/Chicago is our neighborhood spot, which means we're definitely jealous of Oxendale's. Also, that "breakfast joint" you mentioned at 54th is delicious, which you'd probably never guess from driving by; my dad is in love with their crepes. I've quite enjoyed everything I had there with the singular exception of their thick-cut bacon. I like mine thin and crispy.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 20th, 2016, 12:22 pm

And I have no idea how that Oaks Station Place storefront will fill without street parking on 46th or Hiawatha.
When I go by in the morning, I can't believe there isn't a coffee shop there, given all the people arriving for the train who might buy a cup if they could. Obviously, it wouldn't want the whole space.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » September 20th, 2016, 12:49 pm

When Caps does its update to a Brewpub at 50th & Hiawatha, on the Blue Line, the owner recently mentioned he's toying with adding space for a coffee joint in the building as well. That would be a welcome addition to the neighborhood, and he knows it (he lives a block away too).

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » September 20th, 2016, 2:40 pm

A lot to offer there - nice overview. We live closer to 48th/Chicago node but spend a fair amount of time at 34th and 50th as well.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » September 20th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Welcome to the hood. I'm not much for coffee, Keen Eye and Caribou on Cedar are a bit long out of your way. The Angry Catfish/A Bakers Wife pairing, and Nokomis Beach Coffee/Mel O Glaze are not far from each other.

I just tried Somtaste, the East African place that recently opened where Bridgeman's/Embers used to be. Very good, very cheap, not much selection.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

1700 3rd Ave S, Coe Mansion Apartments

Postby seanrichardryan » September 20th, 2016, 8:23 pm

The Amos B. Coe Mansion & carriage house, formerly slated to be the MN African American Museum, will become 9 apartments.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 186262.pdf

*of note, there is a tunnel connection to the neighboring house!*
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » September 21st, 2016, 6:02 am

I have always loved that house!!!

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » September 21st, 2016, 8:18 am

What is happening to the carriage house? Will that be a unit also?

Those drawings are gorgeous, btw.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 21st, 2016, 8:57 am

What is happening to the carriage house? Will that be a unit also?
"Request: To convert the building to eight dwelling units and utilize the existing carriage house as one dwelling unit."