Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby talindsay » December 12th, 2016, 10:27 am

I heard a rumor that the White Castle at Lake and 36th is closing, and Tim Horton's will be opening there. Anybody have any info to support that rumor?

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » December 12th, 2016, 10:30 am

I've heard the same rumor from a couple of different sources but haven't seen any printed confirmation anywhere. Apparently Yesterday was supposed to the their last day open as White Castle.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » December 12th, 2016, 11:16 am

It was definitely closed this morning, which I thought was odd.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » December 12th, 2016, 11:32 am

I too agree that there should be a coffee shop at 34th and 46th. I think it's close enough to the Blue Line stop that it could get some of that morning walkshed traffic, but it's more "neighborhoody" than the Oaks Station Place. And I have no idea how that Oaks Station Place storefront will fill without street parking on 46th or Hiawatha.
Sounds like a brewpub is planning to open in this space. The owners recently were canvassing the neighborhood to seek approval for adjusting the parking times for neighborhood residents slightly. It's Venn Brewery: http://vennbrewery.com/.
They said they hoped to open by summer.

I'll be anxiously waiting!
Sunrise Inn buildings? I'm surprised that's even zoned where they could open a brewery but I suppose it's not that far away from industrial/commercial zones where it might be feasible.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » December 12th, 2016, 11:38 am

A couple of mentions to the East Lake Tim Horton's location, maybe what talindsay and scottie were referring to. Not official I guess, but pretty close:

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/ti ... /401724996

https://twitter.com/StribEwoldt/status/ ... 4362729487

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » December 12th, 2016, 2:07 pm

I too agree that there should be a coffee shop at 34th and 46th. I think it's close enough to the Blue Line stop that it could get some of that morning walkshed traffic, but it's more "neighborhoody" than the Oaks Station Place. And I have no idea how that Oaks Station Place storefront will fill without street parking on 46th or Hiawatha.
Sounds like a brewpub is planning to open in this space. The owners recently were canvassing the neighborhood to seek approval for adjusting the parking times for neighborhood residents slightly. It's Venn Brewery: http://vennbrewery.com/.
They said they hoped to open by summer.

I'll be anxiously waiting!
Sunrise Inn buildings? I'm surprised that's even zoned where they could open a brewery but I suppose it's not that far away from industrial/commercial zones where it might be feasible.
No, the vacant space in the Oak Station Place - at the 46th Street Blue Line LRT station.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 12th, 2016, 2:37 pm

I hope they plan on serving food and not just beer. Sure, yeah I'm happy to see anything take the space at this point, but man...a beer-only taproom is far from ideal. At the very least they could sublease a small space to a coffee vendor...or co-brand the space with a coffee roaster or something creative. Sounds like Venn Brewery will be great for light rail pub crawls or for a pit stop on the way to a downtown event, but pretty useless for the everyday commuters.

I hear there is something in the works for Sunrise Inn as well. Not sure if it's a change in ownership or what exactly, but apparently it will be a pretty big change. Nick, PhilmerPhil, and I went to Sunrise the other night and it was a hoot.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 12th, 2016, 4:35 pm

Well it would be a very nice stop for happy hour on the way home, no? Get off the train, grab a pint, then walk home.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 12th, 2016, 5:31 pm

I hear there is something in the works for Sunrise Inn as well. Not sure if it's a change in ownership or what exactly, but apparently it will be a pretty big change. Nick, PhilmerPhil, and I went to Sunrise the other night and it was a hoot.
Doxxing me is violence
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MattW
Rice Park

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby MattW » December 14th, 2016, 1:53 pm

We're losing another Lake Street institution: http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/wh ... /406561945

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby FISHMANPET » December 14th, 2016, 3:00 pm

That's the Longfellow location on East Lake, not the one around Nicollet. So not Uptown Restaurant news.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 17th, 2016, 11:38 am

Adrian's Tavern (at 48th & Chicago) is closing. A new bar will open in it's stead.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/be ... /405478595
There have been rumors going around that Town Hall is involved... no idea if that means new concept or just an expansion of THT.
Expanding THT and applying for a FULL liquor license.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -hall.html
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » December 19th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Hit up Adrian's late last week as a final hurrah. It's so shitty. I love it. I'll miss it.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 19th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Saturday, Jan 8, Jim will be pricing food at the price it was when 50+ years ago... Supposedly I'll see the menu later today. He says he wants to get rid of all the food before he closes.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » January 3rd, 2017, 11:39 pm

Construction has begun at the old White Castle at 36th Ave and East Lake St. It was completely abandoned this morning and by 5p they had the whole building fenced off with a couple of dumpsters and storage boxes or something and had already gone to town inside the building too. Looks like they are going to be moving fast on the remodeling.

https://imgur.com/DmXeVun

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » January 5th, 2017, 10:38 am

Not sure if this is worthy of it's own thread at this stage, but Alliance Housing Inc. is looking to build a low income apartment building for seniors at 3001 E. Lake St., the vacant spot where McMahon's Pub used to stand. Longfellow/Nokomis Messenger has the story here,

http://www.longfellownokomismessenger.c ... lats-home/

I was thinking that that spot was prime for a fast food joint, possibly a Culver's. It seemed like a similar location to their University Ave. restaurant near Snelling.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 5th, 2017, 2:59 pm

4 floors, 41 units.

What a nice project (nice for the people it serves)!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 10th, 2017, 11:45 am

Anyone know what's going on at 4600 Bloomington? There's been a sign in the window saying a construction(?) business is moving in, but now there's also an order to vacate because there's apparently no heat and a dumpster out back. And this morning there was a rented truck parked on the sidewalk maybe moving stuff out of the ground floor.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 17th, 2017, 11:03 am

The construction company signs are gone now.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 17th, 2017, 6:30 pm

So about Venn Brewing (rumored for Oaks Station Place)...how current are those rumors? Their social media pages are awfully quiet (p much silent since Jan. 2016)

I heard it directly from CM Johnson that a brewery was interested, but how sure are we it's these Venn guys? A friend who is close to the local brewing scene thought that Venn (as a company, partnership, idea, whatever) might not even be an active thing anymore. He thought it was quite unlikely they'd be able to afford that space. He also raised some logistical concerns over running a brewery in that space (delivery of ingredients, etc)