Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby LakeCharles » April 27th, 2015, 8:03 am

Cinco de Mayo Mercado is still directly across the street. It has better everything than Best Food did. Not a loss in my mind. Hopefully something nice goes in.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » April 27th, 2015, 9:00 am

I think I saw a hot dog shop open up at 53rd and Lyndale, next to the Subway/Prima.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 27th, 2015, 9:01 am

You did. It's inside the same space as Freestyle Yogurt.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 27th, 2015, 9:14 am

Word on the street is that the Best Food Market is getting an overhaul, not closing for good. I also will second the Mercado as a good option -- it's a really well kept little store.

I'd think that either the Salvation Army lot or the Family Dollar/Auto Parts building would be good candidates for a liquor store. A liquor store will need a not unsubstantial parking lot.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 27th, 2015, 9:18 am

It's the 5 contiguous acres of commercial zoning that kills it. These little nodes are only half block depth (to the alley) and don't contain any larger parcels that help you out with that calculation. Somehow, I doubt "contiguous" includes properties across the street either. They likely have to be literally contiguous 5 acres.
If allowed to cross the street, I come up with right about 5 contiguous acres at this intersection simply playing with http://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm and not comparing my map selections against any actual official zoning boundary map. That also includes the area that the streets sit on... I'm guessing you have to exclude those. If the houses north of the Salvation Army were re-developed and re-zoned that'd certainly be enough.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 27th, 2015, 9:32 am

You are able to cross the streets when making these calculations.

For reference, Pat's Tap and Hola Arepa were both able to qualify for a hard liquor on sale licencse, which IIRC requires 7 contiguous acres. I think it was a stretch, but they were able to squeak in just over the 7 acre requirement.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 27th, 2015, 9:48 am

Interesting. I had wrongly assumed (for at least one of those two places) there was some kind of "grandfather" situation going on.

Looking back at the map on that 2011 Strib article, 35th/36th & Nicollet looks viable for a store. Now if only there were a mixed-use building on the SE corner of 36th & Nicollet...you've got a major commercial tenant ready to go!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 27th, 2015, 9:51 am

I think I saw a hot dog shop open up at 53rd and Lyndale, next to the Subway/Prima.
Yup, inside the Yogurt place. I tried it a few weeks ago. Nothing special...but decent, quick, and cheap in a pinch. Hot dogs gonna hot dog.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 27th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Hiawatha Academies Middle School site prep, 47th St and 17th Ave S. Old Northrop School with year-old matching addition is in the background.
Hiawatha Academies Middle School Site by mattaudio, on Flickr

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » April 28th, 2015, 10:36 am

I believe the Minneapolis liquor store zoning requirements are that it's 5 acres continuous C2 or higher. You can see from this map that there's very little in South Minneapolis not already claimed (and at least a few appear to be grandfathered in).
http://cityoflakes.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 49c03ae0b8

In the case of 35th/36th and Nic, it doesn't appear to have enough continuous C2, though I'm not sure what the distinction between c1/c2 is:
http://www.minnpost.com/data/2015/02/ho ... olis-zoned

Had a friend who was looking at a craft beer store opportunity a few years back. city staffers basically told him to try and buy an existing store or go to the burbs. The only newer south Minneapolis store is Elevated - and they managed to find one of the few pockets left... the rest are grandfathered or essentially have a geographic monopoly.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 28th, 2015, 11:01 am

What are the chances of future C2 rezonings along Nicollet and 38th? Once "Scary Kmart" is redeveloped, this could be the catalyst for further redevelopment stretching south and then to the east across sections of the city somewhat under-served.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 28th, 2015, 11:04 am

Yeah, that's an important distinction that I'd forgotten about. On-sale liquor requires 7 contiguous acres of any commercial, while off-sale requires 5 contiguous acres of C2 or higher.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 15th, 2015, 8:24 am

Sounds like there are some budding NIMBYs in Longfellow..
http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/mp ... eUTb91G2sX

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » May 15th, 2015, 9:30 pm

A proposal for that same spot was shouted down a few years back.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 17th, 2015, 10:04 am

Sabri is looking to build a 3 story parking ramp at Karmel Square on 29th & Pillsbury.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 141109.pdf
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 17th, 2015, 11:59 am

Looks like a two story ramp has already been approved, he just wants to amend that approval to allow a third story.

I'm amused by the Whitier people's comments at the end. They have no objection to the project, they just object that it wasn't presented to them first so that they could provide input, I mean extract their pound of flesh.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 18th, 2015, 7:28 am

Sounds like there are some budding NIMBYs in Longfellow..
http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/mp ... eUTb91G2sX
Any idea what the proposal is? It's not a large property - just a double lot (80'): http://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/def ... 2823420199

Market Rate? 100% affordable or some kind of supportive housing? Pretty minimal transit access here...the Route 9 is the only thing within reasonable walking distance.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 18th, 2015, 8:14 am

Any idea what the proposal is?
Not sure if it's threadworthy yet, but 3403 38th Ave S...
Andy Bare on behalf of Key Funding LLC will be presenting plans for a proposed
mixed use multifamily development at 3403 38th Avenue South at NDC on Wednesday
March 18th frome 6:30 to 8:00 at Lake Coffee House (3223 E Lake St.)
http://forums.e-democracy.org/groups/mp ... E2cL9fxk7G

This is currently a vacant lot across from Longfellow Park, 4 blocks west of Turtle Bread.
That's all I know. Looks like the link is now broken. IIRC there were two options based on what would be "allowed" more or less by the neighborhood. 3 stories IIRC.

The 9 runs past it. The 21/53 is a half mile north. The 23/Future 38 is a half mile south. The 7 is a half mile west. The Blue Line is probably about a mile from Lake. Granted this is not TOD, but it's (hopefully good) urban infill. I guess those of us in North Richfield have a slightly broader definition of "walkable transit" 8-)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 25th, 2015, 10:20 pm

A little renovation not many of you may know about. This little renovation of an old building near the corner of 26th and 1st near eat St. I suspect it may be apartments or condos? It'd be amazing to see Eat St continue East.

Here it was before: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.955535, ... !2e0?hl=en

And here it was when I saw it on Saturday night.

ImageDSC_1314 (2) by grant.simons, on Flickr
ImageDSC_1313 (2) by grant.simons, on Flickr
ImageDSC_1312 (2) by grant.simons, on Flickr

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 25th, 2015, 10:27 pm

Let's look a *little further back, before the bay windows were hacked off.

https://goo.gl/maps/qpNh7
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.