Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby grant1simons2 » May 25th, 2015, 10:28 pm

I was literally just looking at that and felt a little sad. What do you know about this building Sean? I know you're kind of the historian expert around here.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 25th, 2015, 10:39 pm

Bill Blanski, prinicpal at HGA is steering this ship- http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... elift.html

Don't know much other than the build date plastered above the door. I always liked the way this building and the one across the street shared similar Queen-Anne elements, including projecting bays. https://goo.gl/maps/hNd6E
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 25th, 2015, 10:48 pm

Notice the upper sashes of the double-hung windows on the front facade are taller than the lower sashes. The whole thing looks 'off.'
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 25th, 2015, 10:53 pm

Looks like Stevens and 26th used to be a retail area? Looking at these buildings plus the ones further down Stevens

These: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.95494,- ... !2e0?hl=en

Which need some love..

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 26th, 2015, 9:38 am

There's nothing about those bay windows that looks particularly original, aside from the fact that they look sort of old and decrepit. Also, non-equal double hung windows are a historical thing, especially in over-sized commercial windows.

Blanski is a very talented designer -- I think we're ending up with a high-quality renovation here.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not suggesting that this building didn't historically have bay windows, just that what was sliced off as part of this renovation were sad little things not particularly worth saving.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 26th, 2015, 11:41 am

It'll be hard to get a lot of activity in this area until the Despatch/Whiteway lot at 2600 Stevens is developed. Was the remediation on this site ever completed?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » May 26th, 2015, 12:30 pm

I believe that it is kind of an on going thing. It is probably ready for redevelopment, but at this time no one wants to pay the price for that piece of land so it still is remediating. Until they run out of developable space in the area,it will sit there for awhile.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 26th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Yes, as I understand it, Hennepin County has deemed it ready for redevelopment (although the site would require ongoing capture of remaining soil vapors indefinitely). They had a developerlined up who had pushed forward a proposal that always seemed a bit far-fetched, and then the recession(s) did it in.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 26th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Right, "Corson's Corner". Definitely some psychological pushback to living on a superfund site, though I guess Superior Plating is leading the way there.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 1st, 2015, 2:53 pm

Former Nokomis Lanes sold to become bilingual day care and offices
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -care.html

I had heard about this a few months ago but it was not confirmed at the time. The bowling alley closed in 2009 IIRC. The bowling stuff had been cleared out when a church had a failed attempt to turn the property into their new facility. I was always hoping this would be a brewpub/lanes (a la Skyline Lanes > Town Hall Lanes) or I had hoped for it to be a co-op site until Seward announced for 38th and Clinton.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » June 4th, 2015, 10:18 am

Former Nokomis Lanes sold to become bilingual day care and offices
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -care.html

I had heard about this a few months ago but it was not confirmed at the time. The bowling alley closed in 2009 IIRC. The bowling stuff had been cleared out when a church had a failed attempt to turn the property into their new facility. I was always hoping this would be a brewpub/lanes (a la Skyline Lanes > Town Hall Lanes) or I had hoped for it to be a co-op site until Seward announced for 38th and Clinton.
Jardín Mágico was long rumored for that space where Carbone's/Cork Dork landed. Glad to see they found something else in South Minneapolis.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 4th, 2015, 10:25 am

Besides a brewpub (obv) the area could still use a workout place like a Snap or Anytime. Though I'm still hopeful we could get actual redevelopment of parts of those two blocks (40-41 on Bloomington, or 47-48 on Cedar). Swampland developed far after the neighborhood, thus as auto-oriented strip development with large parking lots that's not aging well.

lorwest
Nicollet Mall

Postby lorwest » June 5th, 2015, 5:31 pm

I've also thought both of the south corners of the 42nd & Bloomington intersection could be redeveloped -- one of those auto repair shops is pretty tired looking.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 7th, 2015, 8:19 am

Agreed. It's such a disjointed corner. A barber shop, Chinese restaurant, and two auto repair places.

Looks like the strip mall with Family Dollar is on Loopnet a block north. Anyone with access want to give us the lowdown?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 23rd, 2015, 8:49 am

A Fresh Market is going in at the old Best Food Market space at Nicollet and 38th. There are two Fresh Markets in the downtown Minneapolis skyway. It has the same logo so I assume its the same company. And the house/vacant storefront at 3734ish Nicollet (just north of Cinco de Mayo Mercado) has been torn down. It's a fairly wide lot.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » June 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

And the house/vacant storefront at 3734ish Nicollet (just north of Cinco de Mayo Mercado) has been torn down. It's a fairly wide lot.
The owner of the Mercado purchased that double lot last year and already owns the vacant single lot between it and the Mercado. It'll be interesting to see what their plans are.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 23rd, 2015, 7:49 pm

A Fresh Market is going in at the old Best Food Market space at Nicollet and 38th. There are two Fresh Markets in the downtown Minneapolis skyway. It has the same logo so I assume its the same company. And the house/vacant storefront at 3734ish Nicollet (just north of Cinco de Mayo Mercado) has been torn down. It's a fairly wide lot.
The grocery store? There's a Fresh Market next to my home here in Cleveland and it's a really great store, but very pricey.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » June 28th, 2015, 10:37 am

Going past the former Kaplan Bros today I noticed they are constructing a new entrance on Lake St., complete with stylish shiny black tiles many of you may be very familiar with. :evil:
I can't decide if I like the fact they're falling off the other buildings they are on or not.
Expect the amateur stucco crew to be on-site as soon as the old siding is removed.
Is there a warehouse full of these frackin tiles somewhere?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 28th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Wow. The fresh market is going to look really good in this area. They put up brand new wood paneling that actually fits very well in my opinion. A modern touch

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 28th, 2015, 5:49 pm

A very hip looking grocery story going in on Lake and Stevens