Southside - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
John21
Rice Park

Re: Southside - General Topics

Postby John21 » November 1st, 2020, 5:32 pm

Fairview to close Hiawatha Clinic

It will be interesting to see what happens to this ugly building.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 1st, 2020, 7:18 pm

I got my flu shot there a couple weeks ago, in the small pharmacy. The pharmacy had *everything* 20% or 30% off then, and the discounts could go higher as the closing date approaches. If you want to stock up on anything from Nyquil to Advil to candy and pop, go for it. Looks like it's scheduled to close in early December. Also, get a flu shot! They take walk-ins.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 1st, 2020, 7:48 pm

Can't wait for these awful 'awnings' to go away. 4-5 story multi-family with retail here would be great here.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » November 3rd, 2020, 9:04 am

Fairview to close Hiawatha Clinic

It will be interesting to see what happens to this ugly building.
I don't get over to that neighborhood often, but I remember going to the restaurant across the street and thinking "God, what an ugly building".

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 3rd, 2020, 10:40 am

Ugly building, but losing a medical clinic probably not a win for the neighborhood, right?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 3rd, 2020, 1:06 pm

Ugly building, but losing a medical clinic probably not a win for the neighborhood, right?
Thank you. Honestly I've never thought that hard about the building being ugly. I barely notice it when going to Riverview Theater or Cafe or Mother Earth Gardens. It's pretty blah, but to act like this is the worst thing around and should be torn down ASAP is being a bit dramatic.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » November 3rd, 2020, 1:20 pm

It totally kills one corner of an otherwise great intersection. It's telling that if you stood at this intersection, you would have *no* way of knowing that the clinic is even closed, except for possibly a minor downtick in vehicle traffic.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » November 3rd, 2020, 3:07 pm

It's my clinic, and the only one very close to there. During the Floyd protests, the neighbors were protecting this because it was the only pharmacy in greater Longfellow not to have been essentially destroyed. I'd love to see a more attractive building, but access to healthcare is way more important than urban aesthetics. I do hope all of Longfellow isn't expected to go all the way to Riverside to the north or Highland to the south for healthcare.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » November 3rd, 2020, 3:29 pm

It's my clinic, and the only one very close to there. During the Floyd protests, the neighbors were protecting this because it was the only pharmacy in greater Longfellow not to have been essentially destroyed. I'd love to see a more attractive building, but access to healthcare is way more important than urban aesthetics. I do hope all of Longfellow isn't expected to go all the way to Riverside to the north or Highland to the south for healthcare.
Absolutely! I was more responding to the comments about the building being ugly. Access to healthcare outweighs my aesthetic concerns.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 4th, 2020, 12:17 am

Health Partners also closed its Riverside clinic this year.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » November 12th, 2020, 9:47 am

According to the Planning Applications Dashboard, there is a new mixed-use proposal for 200 Lake St W, adjacent to and affiliated with the Karmel Square Mall, on the site of the closed Walgreens. The request includes a rezoning of the lot to C2, with the Pedestrian Overlay. So I expect something 4-6 stories, pretty standard stuff. Unfortunately I can't tell anything else about it, because the entry on the dashboard was entered with some broken BB code.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 12th, 2020, 10:19 am

Looks like it also says "To allow a shopping mall in the C2 District." and "To increase height in the C2 District". So, I guess an expansion of Karmel Square with apartments on top? Cool.

Also of note, there's an application coming to the CPC next week to build a 4-story, 13-unit walkup (with 1st floor retail) at 112 E Lake, on the site of a destroyed tobacco shop. They're asking to build right up to the west property line with the expectation of future redevelopment on the property to the west doing the same thing to create a continuous street wall.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » November 23rd, 2020, 8:40 am

Well, I thought they were going to rebuild, but the site of the former Family Dollar and auto parts store on Nicollet is for sale.

https://www.redfin.com/MN/Minneapolis/3 ... e/62624523

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » December 1st, 2020, 11:36 am

Well, I thought they were going to rebuild, but the site of the former Family Dollar and auto parts store on Nicollet is for sale.

https://www.redfin.com/MN/Minneapolis/3 ... e/62624523
I'm happy to see the lot sold for re-development rather than rebuilding for the previous tenants. That family dollar location was nothing but a stain on our neighborhood and the auto parts store was one of many that oversaturate the area between 35th and 36th streets west of 35W. After the wrecking was complete you could see how massive that lot actually is with most of it wasted as parking before.

A new large scale building with lower level retail (hopefully a grocery store!) would be a fantastic addition to that section of Nicollet.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » December 16th, 2020, 11:45 am

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/ ... enter.html

A nice story about this area. At the site of Gandhi Mahal where the demo of what was the building has just finished:
"he's working with other businesses to build a community gathering place that will include a new restaurant as well as theater and artist spaces. A crowdfunding effort has raised $123,000 for the project already, topping a $100,000 goal. "

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » December 29th, 2020, 10:54 am

Apparently Yellow Tree has a project on the 4200 block of Nicollet (under construction already) that I didn't know about. They seem to up out of nowhere without much controversy somehow.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 29th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Apparently Yellow Tree has a project on the 4200 block of Nicollet (under construction already) that I didn't know about. They seem to up out of nowhere without much controversy somehow.
Yeah, that and the Curran's redevelopment will really transform that strip.

An article about that one: https://www.southwestjournal.com/news/d ... et-avenue/

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » January 1st, 2021, 2:24 pm

Rumor thread on Reddit claiming Trader Joe's is replacing Dollar Tree at 46th and Nicollet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minneapolis/co ... urce=share

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 1st, 2021, 5:39 pm

Which won't happen because they can't have a liquor store- their one allowed permit is used up with the downtown Tjs.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » January 1st, 2021, 6:36 pm

Which won't happen because they can't have a liquor store- their one allowed permit is used up with the downtown Tjs.
I was thinking the same thing. Wonder if Aldi is an option there?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk