The Lakes Residences - 2622 West Lake Street

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Former Weisman Lake Calhoun lot

Postby 1200onthemall » August 25th, 2012, 6:15 am

Nathaniel
Metrodome

Re: Former Weisman Lake Calhoun lot

Postby Nathaniel » August 27th, 2012, 11:50 am

From the article: [Emphasis mine]
"The group was prepared. Under the leadership of Robert Corrick, a retired banker and head of the neighborhood group's Land Use & Development Committee, it listed 12 criteria for any project. Some of the requirements seem obvious: the building should be nice-looking, provide adequate parking, keep the sounds of fans and air-conditioners to a minimum, cover all the ugly stuff, like trash containers, with landscaping and so on."
These are fairly reasonable (minus parking in my opinion). But it continues ...
But the group had more extensive demands. The development had to adhere strictly to a myriad of zoning requirements, not hinder the sight lines of any existing residents, not shade any residential units at any time of the year, not change the character of the neighborhood, which CIDNA says is primarily single-family houses (a challengable contention since most of them are across the greenway to the north), not increase traffic and not shade the greenway or Kenilworth trail — except during the winter solstice — and then only a little bit."
I've got a problem with all the bolded items. Not increase traffic? Is that possible to do? Traffic isn't always a bad thing. And, mostly single-family homes? I'd challenge that. If you looked at the total population, I'd content that it's a 50/50 population split. And, this business of not changing the character of the neighborhood? I've always felt like this was always just an intangible/subjective way for people to oppose a project?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Former Weisman Lake Calhoun lot

Postby mattaudio » August 27th, 2012, 11:56 am

The land may be a majority of single family residences whereas the population may be a majority of multi-family housing dwellers.

twincitizen

The Lakes Residences - 2622 West Lake Street

Postby twincitizen » March 26th, 2014, 6:55 am

On the vacant 1.25 acre site next to Calhoun Beach Club, developer Greystar is proposing an apartment complex ranging from 3 to 8 stories. This site has seen multiple proposals from multiple developers come and go in recent years. It was most recently used as a staging area for a Met Council sewer project.

The project is designed by ESG Architects and will feature large unit sizes (1640 sf average), in what the developer is calling a rental condominium. Rents would be among the highest in the metro. 90 units, with 155 parking spaces, for a ratio of 1.72. No retail component.

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/ne ... -west-lake
PDF: http://cidnalanduse.files.wordpress.com ... _25_14.pdf

The proposal will go before the CIDNA Land Use Committe on April 7, along with the Tryg's site proposal. If you know anyone in that neighborhood that is supportive of development, please urge them to attend.

I like to see them combine curb cuts with Loop Calhoun Condos, but that's never going to happen.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Re: Greystar West Lake Apartments - 2626 Lake Street W

Postby go4guy » March 26th, 2014, 7:17 am

Does this spot have a pretty high water table? Could they even have underground parking?

Not worried about lack of retail. Seems like a good idea, considering the location. Retail just wouldnt make sense there.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » March 26th, 2014, 7:22 am

Yeah, hard to complain about lack of retail with Lake street as it is. Still, someday a few more sidewalk cafes overlooking the lake would be nice. I assume we won't see anything higher than 8 stories, but this looks pretty good to me - especially compared to the current status. I'm also curious to hear more about that Lake of the Isles connection as it's currently a climb-over-the-fence situation to get on the Greenway from CBC.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 26th, 2014, 7:39 am

Pretty bleak and boring design considering that it's supposed to be the most expensive/luxurious apartment building in the Twin Cities. I'm starting to wonder whether Greystar's presence in this market is a good and worthwhile thing...

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » March 26th, 2014, 7:47 am

Pretty bleak and boring design considering that it's supposed to be the most expensive/luxurious apartment building in the Twin Cities. I'm starting to wonder whether Greystar's presence in this market is a good and worthwhile thing...
Just curious, what are your objections? What are you comparing this project to?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 26th, 2014, 8:51 am

Greystar's Elan Uptown (Phase One) is really nice. I don't know if ESG designed it, but the execution is fantastic. That is my favorite new building to walk by, as far as Greenway-adjacent luxury boxes go.

The exterior appears to be a lot of brick, stone, and wood or faux wood. Very little metal or cementitious paneling.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 26th, 2014, 8:52 am

A very high quality project. The architects mention the 8 story building as a 100 year asset. Nice use of materials. The trapezoid shape of the 8 story segment has a nice relationship with both Lake Street and and Lake Calhoun. Fits the site well and offers some wide green space/sidewalks around the perimeter. Of all the projects I've seen proposed on this site over the years, this is by far the best. My cynical side tells me that CIDNA will be vehemently opposed to it. :?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 26th, 2014, 10:57 am

Just curious, what are your objections? What are you comparing this project to?
My objection is that I've seen this building already -- about half a dozen different examples around the city (e.g. those Norwegian-sounding projects, like Soltva). That, and at least at first glance, it doesn't appear to have any higher-end materials or finishes I'd usually expect from uber-luxury developments, but in fairness I can't tell just by looking at the rendering.

How about The View, or Eitel Apartments, for example? Both seem very classy and luxurious. If I'm the only person who thinks the architecture is uninspiring and dull for the prices they plan to charge, I'll shut up. I still don't love it, not as much as the rest of you. :X

*Edit: I take my words back about the materials and quality of them, which do appear nice and very much in line with the projects I used to compare this to like Eitel and The View. The original picture I saw was from too far back and all I really saw was what looked like prefab concrete and brick. I do, however, expect a LOT for whatever gets developed here -- something like Edgewater and the Loring Park apartment Greystar shows as examples in the beginning of the PDF. If anything, I'd expect something even better than that. I don't know what that would look like but I'd expect my jaw to drop, just like it did when I saw that they want to charge $4,500 per month for a unit! :o

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 26th, 2014, 11:15 am

If the neighborhood denies this project, it is only for personal reasons. This fits perfect. Does not really shadow the greenway much, and is actually made of solid constuction.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » March 26th, 2014, 11:47 am

wouldn't surprise me if they made up some reason to oppose this just because they dislike developers in general.

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » March 26th, 2014, 2:20 pm

If the proposed land bridge from Lake Of The Isles to Lake Calhoun ever becomes a reality, the land owners of this site will kick themselves for not having retail. It would be a great place for a patio bar/restaurant to rival The Eatery next door.

There is a need for a quality restaurant with a view on that part of the lake. The Eatery is alright, Burger Jones closes at 10, and Tryg's is only happening on Fridays for Funk Night (and their Patio is haphazardly constructed).

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » March 26th, 2014, 3:35 pm

If the proposed land bridge from Lake Of The Isles to Lake Calhoun ever becomes a reality, the land owners of this site will kick themselves for not having retail. It would be a great place for a patio bar/restaurant to rival The Eatery next door.

There is a need for a quality restaurant with a view on that part of the lake. The Eatery is alright, Burger Jones closes at 10, and Tryg's is only happening on Fridays for Funk Night (and their Patio is haphazardly constructed).
Fatal Flaw: No parking for a restaurant at this site.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 27th, 2014, 10:40 am

I didn't see any reference to the size of the units, but I'm thinking if there are only 90 units in a facility that large, maybe the size of the units has something to do with the l****y angle.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » March 27th, 2014, 10:42 am

I didn't see any reference to the size of the units, but I'm thinking if there are only 90 units in a facility that large, maybe the size of the units has something to do with the l****y angle.
1500 - 3000 sq ft

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 27th, 2014, 10:42 am

Lake front property will definitely be luxry!!

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 27th, 2014, 10:48 am

No developer is going to incorporate a restaurant or patio bar based on the very slim possibility of a pipe dream project happening. THe land bridge would have to be approved and financing secured before a developer would even think about changing their plans.

ndokken
City Center

Postby ndokken » March 27th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Anybody see this?

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2014 ... t_much.php

$4,500/month rent. Starting. most places like that you make 2.5 times that which puts you in the $11,250 range or $135,000 year. ridiculous.