The Walkway - (1312 West Lake Street)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: City Walk Uptown - (1312 West Lake Street)

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 24th, 2012, 7:06 am

I have never understood why people hate this place so much. I suppose after 9, it brings out a different crowd, but nobody is forced to go there and nobody really has to deal with the crowd anyways. I go there strictly for lunch as they have great food and a great lunch deal. I dont like pretentious douche bags, so I dont go where they hang out. Plain and simple. There is a place for everyone.
I haven't heard one positive thing about the place, and yes, douchebags frequent the locale, which makes it even less likely that I'll want to spend a ton of time there. When it goes down in a cloud of dust in way of "City Walk", which should be a great addition to Uptown, there SHOULD be applause!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 24th, 2012, 8:16 am

I have never understood why people hate this place so much. I suppose after 9, it brings out a different crowd, but nobody is forced to go there and nobody really has to deal with the crowd anyways. I go there strictly for lunch as they have great food and a great lunch deal. I dont like pretentious douche bags, so I dont go where they hang out. Plain and simple. There is a place for everyone.
I haven't heard one positive thing about the place, and yes, douchebags frequent the locale, which makes it even less likely that I'll want to spend a ton of time there. When it goes down in a cloud of dust in way of "City Walk", which should be a great addition to Uptown, there SHOULD be applause!
It looks like you did just hear one positive thing about the place...it's right there in the quote you commented on. The place is no worse than other similar bars in the area, I don't mind it being there...but I would much rather have the new development!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 24th, 2012, 9:01 am

It looks like you did just hear one positive thing about the place...it's right there in the quote you commented on. The place is no worse than other similar bars in the area, I don't mind it being there...but I would much rather have the new development!
It's a figure of speach....nobody says "I've only heard 1 or 2 good things about the place", because it'd be confusing and the message wouldn't come across as clearly. Does that make sense???

And the place IS worse than almost every bar in the area. If you like it, good for you.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 24th, 2012, 9:25 am

That is your opinion. I think they have great food, and it is for a good price. They also have great specials. Do I frequent there after 10? Usually not. But when I do, yes there are some douches, but no different than Uptown Tavern, Williams, or a number of other places. Slims can be a very fun place. Great music and great people watching. Just because some of the people are not like you, does not make it a horrible place. If you dont like it, dont go.

With that being said, I am obviously excited for the new develepment, because it is a better use for the site.

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » August 24th, 2012, 10:05 am

I was at Cowbly Slim's the other day for lunch, and they mentioned they are closing the last weekend in September. One would assume construction would start sometime this fall.
Wonderful news! The neighborhood groups should hold a celebration when that thing gets torn down!
I think for those of us who are old enough to remember how Uptown used to be Cowboy Slims serves as a metaphor for how it has changed and the fact that it isn't our neighborhood anymore. Uptown wasn't always the douchebag's playground.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 24th, 2012, 10:13 am

That's a big part of it, but SOMEPLACE has to be my least favorite, and Cowboy Slims is mine. But I also loathe country music, which doesn't help at all!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 24th, 2012, 10:54 am

I think this project, the renovation of Uptown Theater, and the new Walker Library will help bring back some of the neighborhood feel to this area. And retail stores oriented towards clothing and furniture have made a dramatic resurgence over the last couple years. The addition of the much needed hardware store at 28th street has been a great improvement. The domination of the mega-bar complexes in the area for the last 15 years is about to be joyfully eclipsed.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 24th, 2012, 12:19 pm

There should also be more wine caves and brew pubs in the area, or even neighborhood "dive bars" that are owned by one person and are not a chain.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » August 24th, 2012, 12:21 pm

There should also be more wine caves and brew pubs in the area, or even neighborhood "dive bars" that are owned by one person and are not a chain.
Not so long as Meg Tuthill is in charge around here!

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » August 24th, 2012, 12:32 pm

That's a big part of it, but SOMEPLACE has to be my least favorite, and Cowboy Slims is mine. But I also loathe country music, which doesn't help at all!
Understandable. I guess I tolerate it more because I love country music and classic rock, which is what they play there. I am not one for the hip hop and new music that is played at most places.

Regarding Uptown in general, I think it brings about a much better class of young adult than downtown does. Mainly the 1st Ave area.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 25th, 2012, 10:25 pm

I don't really have anything to say about Cowboy Slims, but I think the elephant in the room here is that these developments primarily attract well-off white people and businesses that cater to them. I'm not against these developments, per se, but an Uptown with an Apple Store and Victoria's Secret isn't really the diverse cultural center it is sometimes made out to be.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 25th, 2012, 10:37 pm

Wait, minorities don't wear underwear and use cell phones?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 25th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Wait, minorities don't wear underwear and use cell phones?
Spread the word.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 26th, 2012, 9:22 am

I don't really have anything to say about Cowboy Slims, but I think the elephant in the room here is that these developments primarily attract well-off white people and businesses that cater to them. I'm not against these developments, per se, but an Uptown with an Apple Store and Victoria's Secret isn't really the diverse cultural center it is sometimes made out to be.
It's not the worst elephant in the room to have as far as nightlife goes.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 26th, 2012, 10:03 am

Again I'm not opposed to any of these developments at all.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 27th, 2012, 6:50 am

Well, the WORST elephant in the room would technically be Karma over Envy, since I don't remember hearing about anyone being stabbed, shot and/or killed at Envy. But for me the cremme de la cremme of terrible bars are those chain bars that every city has, like Brothers, Bar Louie, or the WORST (for me).....Lodge Bar.....shudders! :shock:

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 27th, 2012, 9:13 am

I don't think the troubles at Envy and those other First Avenue clubs really have anything to do with my point, to be honest. I just think Uptown (at least Henn-Lake) has been gentrified.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 27th, 2012, 9:23 am

I agree that the corner of Lake and Hen is being commercialized. BUT it doesn't bother me too much, it forces the city to re-imagine it's other neighborhoods. It's also great that Minneapolis can have a commercial center that is competing with all of the Malls and the MOA. If uptown can develop and sustain itself, great. Let the creatives, and diverse groups do their thing and culturally save another neighborhood. I think it's great that our neighborhoods can evolve and sustain. I mean if we keep up this kind of urbanism we may soon be having the same conversation about the NE artist area, or whoa, even a neighborhood like Camden turning around and becoming desirable for lots of new development just for the sake of vicinity.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » September 27th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Slim's is confirmed as closing this weekend at the bottom of this article:
http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 57051.html

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 27th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Can't wait for this project to happen. One of BKV best designs so far. Will really help Uptown become a truly dense urban neighborhood. I think Cowboy Slims should move to Blaine where it's more appropriate.