Uptown-LynLake-Wedge - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Postby twincitizen » April 29th, 2020, 11:59 am

Saw a tweet about this today and assumed it was new but this story dates from August '19. I don't recall it being mentioned here then.

Joyce Church on 31st & Fremont is seeking historic designation and is slated to be converted to apartments: https://www.southwestjournal.com/news/d ... wn-church/

Staff report on the designation, but no details yet on the number of units, conversion plans, etc: https://lims.minneapolismn.gov/download ... t%20Church

Anondson
IDS Center

Uptown (and LynLake) Development & General Topics

Postby Anondson » June 26th, 2020, 8:43 am

Was this posted elsewhere? Could be getting a proposal at 2828 Girard for 76 units from Yellow Tree as they just acquired the land.

https://finance-commerce.com/2020/06/ye ... t-project/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 29th, 2020, 5:39 pm

The second phase of “Lago” was approved.

https://www.startribune.com/city-oks-re ... 571551062/

CalMcKenney
Metrodome

Postby CalMcKenney » June 30th, 2020, 9:16 am

In regards to the 2828 Girard project by Yellow Tree, the houses on that site have already been demolished. Looks like this is moving forward quickly?

MattW
Rice Park

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby MattW » August 13th, 2020, 12:36 pm

CHX, a chicken tenders specialty place opened in the in the former hot dog window in the space that is now Pourhouse.

Went last weekend, definitely worth a visit.

Blaisdell Greenway
Nicollet Mall

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 26th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Lago is happening on schedule as laid out in that Strib article from June 30th. Former Paul Williams tire is coming down today.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 22nd, 2020, 11:56 am

uptownbro
Landmark Center

Postby uptownbro » October 22nd, 2020, 12:04 pm

A very bad trend for retail in uptown.

Anondson
IDS Center

Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby Anondson » October 22nd, 2020, 12:11 pm

It was always the lowest trafficked Apple Store in the market, by a noticeable amount.

Plus, it’s much too small for the current store designs and a remodel would not help, there isn’t enough room.

uptownbro
Landmark Center

Postby uptownbro » October 22nd, 2020, 12:17 pm

I wonder if we will that whole strip of stores will be re done. I cant remember if someone went into the north face or Columbia store add on the empty victory secret store

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 22nd, 2020, 12:25 pm

It's a bad trend for luxury retail in Uptown. It could be the start of a trend towards more neighborhood and community focused retail if the people who own the properties don't get caught up in chasing luxury leases or chains that have no logical reason to be in this neighborhood.

drgrant
Block E

Postby drgrant » October 22nd, 2020, 1:30 pm

Luxury retail in general is in trouble. It was kind of cool having a little cluster of nice shops there--felt very cosmopolitan, but honestly how many times does a person need to visit an Apple store or a North Face store? And how many of the dollars spent there stay in the neighborhood, or even the metro area?

It could be a tough transition for the landlords, but I don't think the city needs to be doing anything to try to keep this sort of retail around.

Most of those buildings should be redeveloped into something taller.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » October 22nd, 2020, 2:00 pm

Luxury retail in general is in trouble. It was kind of cool having a little cluster of nice shops there--felt very cosmopolitan, but honestly how many times does a person need to visit an Apple store or a North Face store? And how many of the dollars spent there stay in the neighborhood, or even the metro area?

It could be a tough transition for the landlords, but I don't think the city needs to be doing anything to try to keep this sort of retail around.

Most of those buildings should be redeveloped into something taller.
Really am kinda shocked. I would think at least an Apple Store would survive in Uptown. How are they doing at the 'Dales? And to think the Uptown Diner was torn down for this. I am really doubtful local retail is going to return to Uptown - considering the current economic state, the change in shopping habits and Uptown's current demographics. Seems Uptown has turned into a party zone. Seems bars/nightlife are the only things keeping the area staying afloat. Not even restaurants.

Perhaps Apple, when the economy starts to recover, will move downtown (i.e. Dayton's Block). Personally I think chains would be better to relocate back downtown - leave local retail for the city's neighborhoods. Tourists/office workers would support chain retail in the city's core.

SurlyLHT
Wells Fargo Center

Postby SurlyLHT » October 22nd, 2020, 2:03 pm

Moving Downtown makes sense with both the residents and the commuters. Think about the average number of Apple Customers per day within a mile of a Dayton's location versus Uptown.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » October 22nd, 2020, 2:09 pm

I know that Apple might be considered a "luxury" store, but in some ways I think it straddled the line between luxury and actual, useful retail!

Sure, you probably aren't going to an Apple store on a fairly regular basis. But I know I found it handy for the times I had an issue with my MacBook or iPhone - I live fairly close, I could pretty much always make a same-day appointment to get whatever I needed fixed or replaced. And, yes, a few times I actually bought hardware there. Now those types of visits will require driving out to one of the Dales. Not exactly a huge deal, but I'll miss the convenience of the neighborhood.

Related, but also a bit of an aside: This whole stretch of Hennepin has so much potential, but, wow, it feels bleak these days. Still stuff boarded up, plenty closed or vacant. And, of course, there's always at least one car parked in the bike lane and another idling in front of Amazing Thailand.

Anondson
IDS Center

Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby Anondson » October 22nd, 2020, 2:10 pm

Really am kinda shocked. I would think at least an Apple Store would survive in Uptown. How are they doing at the 'Dales?.
It struggled to reach even half to 2/3 the traffic. Pay parking was the loudest complaint. Plus, there honestly weren’t enough people who lived near Hennepin and Lake, and transit was not enough either. There was not enough of a midday workforce in uptown for lunch drop ins.

If you’re in South/Southwest Minneapolis and already have to get in a car, go to Southdale or MOA. If you’re downtown or Dinkytown, Rosedale is not too far away.

Now, a downtown store, on high frequency rail and bus lines, huge workforce. Multiple high income demographic neighborhoods. It stands a chance.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » October 22nd, 2020, 2:51 pm

I know that Apple might be considered a "luxury" store, but in some ways I think it straddled the line between luxury and actual, useful retail!

Sure, you probably aren't going to an Apple store on a fairly regular basis. But I know I found it handy for the times I had an issue with my MacBook or iPhone - I live fairly close, I could pretty much always make a same-day appointment to get whatever I needed fixed or replaced. And, yes, a few times I actually bought hardware there. Now those types of visits will require driving out to one of the Dales. Not exactly a huge deal, but I'll miss the convenience of the neighborhood.

Related, but also a bit of an aside: This whole stretch of Hennepin has so much potential, but, wow, it feels bleak these days. Still stuff boarded up, plenty closed or vacant. And, of course, there's always at least one car parked in the bike lane and another idling in front of Amazing Thailand.
Really not supportive of taller buildings in Uptown. The 15 story tower proposed is terrible. The city keeps saying it supports businesses, but then does projects like the Hennepin redo that does away with parking. I really do believe that decision has hurt the stores along that stretch of Hennepin. Really don't get it. The city needs to step up and change it's laws to make opening businesses in the city easier along with offering incentives -lower property taxes, etc. Especially NOW. I think until the fear of more civil unrest goes away - businesses in Mpls will be hesitant to remove the boards protecting their buildings. If you read up on Chicago - same thing is happening there - i.e. Magnificent Mile.

uptownbro
Landmark Center

Postby uptownbro » October 22nd, 2020, 2:53 pm

I do think retail is just changing in uptown and many of the landlords need to understand this or else it will kill the area. The old lamp store off lake st was leased up in a few months after closing. It is now three smaller shops vs the victoria secrets that has been empty for what 3 years now? H@M and target do very well in uptown due to being cheap but "nice". I also think the boards need to come down as it makes some people thing the area is unsafe. It has really helped and Lyndale to have most of them down imo. Uptown doesnt have a parking issue it has a parking price issue and as much as I support bike lanes this one really seems to have hurt the area as some of the people in the retail and bar industry in uptown were already talking 18 months ago about how it killed traffic.
Hope the new mall owner understands this trend.
Last edited by uptownbro on October 22nd, 2020, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austinite
Nicollet Mall

Postby Austinite » October 22nd, 2020, 2:56 pm

I do think retail is just changing in uptown and many of the landlords need to understand this or else it will kill the area. The old lamp store off lake st was leased up in a few months after closing. It is now three smaller shops vs the victoria secrets that has been empty for what 3 years now? H@M and target do very well in uptown due to being cheap but "nice". I also think the boards need to come down as it makes some people thing the area is unsafe.
Hope the new mall owner understands this trend.
At least they are reopening the corner entrance off Hennepin and Lake!

uptownbro
Landmark Center

Postby uptownbro » October 22nd, 2020, 2:58 pm

I know! Honestly ackerberg killed lake and henn and no one will change my mind on that.
I also dont mind the taller building. At this point it is what it is and filling that lot will help bring more people to the area.