Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
uptownbro
Rice Park

Re: Uptown-LynLake-Wedge - News & General Topics

Postby uptownbro » July 8th, 2021, 12:23 pm

I guess I find people shooting guns out of a car in the middle of a street with a crowd surrounding them as fairly scary but maybe thats just me......

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » July 8th, 2021, 4:02 pm

On July 4th I saw on a friend's snapchat story people shooting fireworks off and people doing donuts I think at Lake and Hiawatha. Also playing music and dancing in the streets, it was only missing a big grill and food! Seemed like an enjoyable time. I talked to them afterwards, and the police tried to interfere with those 4th celebrations until people responded with fireworks

It's really not that scary.
“Sure multiple people have been shot, hit by cars, etc. at these street takeover events, and sure they engage in activity that makes life less pleasant for the neighbors, but my friends went once and said it was fun! Plus they got to stick it to the man and chase away the cops!”

Talk about instant loss of credibility…

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » July 9th, 2021, 2:30 pm

It sounds like there's an assumption that at any of these things its always the same people? Because there was no gunfire at the one I was referring to. And I didn't mention anything about street racing. I haven't seen news about those shootings a month ago. So maybe that was a bad take? Shootings have also happened at bars, though that doesn't mean the bars caused them.

Clearly firing a gun in public is dangerous and not ok, though you also have to accept that shootings are an unfortunate inevitability with America's unstainable inequality and poor gun laws. Firing a gun into the air for shits and giggles is dumb and callous, but not malicious. It's unlawful discharge of a Firearm. How often has spinning cars in circles led to shootings? Because shootings can happen anywhere, and usually they aren't random. They have other causes. You can't get rid of them without fixing those causes, you can only segregate the effects.

In terms of being hit by a car, 1-2 cars spinning in a circle doesn't seem more dangerous than what we would normally see with those giant, overbuilt intersections being full of speeding traffic anyways. We've just normalized the danger from one, but not the other.

The part that I would immediately point to to criticize would be that particulate pollution from burning rubber is a health hazard, and the noise pollution would impact other people's sleep. Which also applies to fireworks and bonfires.

But fireworks and bonfires are normalized in American culture and aren't associated with young black men like "sideshows" are. I'm not saying it's the case here, because i can't make that judgment about random people, but for many white people thoughts of crime/guns/danger are inseperable from the racism they were conditioned to believe in. That's why they think the answer is more police and being "tough on crime". Like all they need to do is put "criminals" in their place. That doesn't work though.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » July 11th, 2021, 10:42 am

It sounds like there's an assumption that at any of these things its always the same people? Because there was no gunfire at the one I was referring to. And I didn't mention anything about street racing. I haven't seen news about those shootings a month ago. So maybe that was a bad take? Shootings have also happened at bars, though that doesn't mean the bars caused them.

Clearly firing a gun in public is dangerous and not ok, though you also have to accept that shootings are an unfortunate inevitability with America's unstainable inequality and poor gun laws. Firing a gun into the air for shits and giggles is dumb and callous, but not malicious. It's unlawful discharge of a Firearm. How often has spinning cars in circles led to shootings? Because shootings can happen anywhere, and usually they aren't random. They have other causes. You can't get rid of them without fixing those causes, you can only segregate the effects.

In terms of being hit by a car, 1-2 cars spinning in a circle doesn't seem more dangerous than what we would normally see with those giant, overbuilt intersections being full of speeding traffic anyways. We've just normalized the danger from one, but not the other.

The part that I would immediately point to to criticize would be that particulate pollution from burning rubber is a health hazard, and the noise pollution would impact other people's sleep. Which also applies to fireworks and bonfires.

But fireworks and bonfires are normalized in American culture and aren't associated with young black men like "sideshows" are. I'm not saying it's the case here, because i can't make that judgment about random people, but for many white people thoughts of crime/guns/danger are inseperable from the racism they were conditioned to believe in. That's why they think the answer is more police and being "tough on crime". Like all they need to do is put "criminals" in their place. That doesn't work though.
Very well said. Thank you for sharing.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 11th, 2021, 10:44 am

Is street racing actually associated with Black men?

And does literally anyone like other people’s fireworks? Check out Nextdoor sometime and bonfires and fireworks aren’t as popular as you think.

Ultimately none of that matters though. Street racing etc. is illegal because it’s a nuisance and extremely dangerous.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » July 11th, 2021, 4:00 pm

Every time an illegal firework goes off I would call the police if I thought there was actually a realistic chance of the people doing it being found and cited. And I wasn't a fan of my neighbors bonfires either, considering they invited seemingly half the city but not us. But they weren't violating any laws because they wrapped up by midnight.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » September 8th, 2021, 1:16 pm

It looks like lynlake retail space is doing pretty well.
Besides side chicks opening, a new barber shop and gym have opened. A new restaurant/bar in the former Lyn lake tap house space as well as a new cafe across the street are in the process of opening. All within about block of each other. A few more spaces look to also be under construction for new tenets but im not sure what would go into them.
Sunnys hair is also reopening on Lyndale.

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » September 13th, 2021, 11:41 am

A new restaurant/bar in the former Lyn lake tap house space
Based on their license applications, the restaurant name is Los Iconos but I can't seem to find any further info.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 13th, 2021, 12:50 pm

I'm assuming this is the Lyndale Tap House, not the LynLake Brewery across the street?

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » September 16th, 2021, 8:41 am

Yes the former tap house space

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » October 26th, 2021, 7:04 am

Wrecktangle pizza is opening a new location in LynLake! Not only do they plan on opening a location in the old Prieto space, they bought the entire building for about $1.8M (according to Minneapolis Property Info). I'm curious to see what they do with the lower level space and if they keep it one oversized restaurant space or turn it back into two smaller spaces.
https://mspmag.com/eat-and-drink/foodie ... o-lynlake/

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » October 26th, 2021, 7:37 am

It sounds like they will also have a space for pop/up "residencies" from emerging chefs along with the pizza place and bar.
"Wrecktangle Pizza will be the main driving force here, with the addition of rotating small plates, showcasing our bread varieties, and pop-up/residencies from emerging chefs' concepts. Think rotating micro food hall. "
Depending on how they use the space this could be a really great addition to a side of uptown/lynlake that has had a strong bounce back in the past 10 months !

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » November 1st, 2021, 3:22 pm

https://finance-commerce.com/2021/11/fa ... ired-shop/

The long empty building at lake and Lyndale has been sold and will open as a cookie and sandwich shop at 2944 Lyndale Ave. S. The retail space recovery at this intersection has really taken off. It makes me wonder how much longer the muddy waters and Fuji Ya spaces will remain empty at this pace

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » November 23rd, 2021, 9:42 am

Kitchen window is closing at 35 years.
The recently closed movie theater on Hennepin has pulled permits for a renovation and expansion

tedlanda2571
Metrodome

Postby tedlanda2571 » November 23rd, 2021, 11:58 am

I did happy hour at Iconos last week. I wasn't super excited about another Mexican place (we seem to be getting 'Mexican heavy' in the local restaurant scene, although probably understandably so), but that said, it was really quite good. We just had apps but they were really good and the HH deals weren't bad either. While I was sitting at the bar they brought by what must have been the double cut glazed pork chop. It was eye-popping. Random people were taking pictures of it. I'll definitely be back for a Plato Fuerte.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » November 23rd, 2021, 5:25 pm

The recently closed movie theater on Hennepin has pulled permits for a renovation and expansion
I'm curious if they're taking advantage of the dual vacancies of the theater operator and Fluevog to expand the lobby. Definitely wouldn't mind there being more space in that entryway.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 23rd, 2021, 8:40 pm

They are expanding it into a live music venue.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » December 8th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Anyone have an inside scoop on what The After Midnight Group is planning to do with the Cowboy Slim's location? The location has been closed about a year now, I see that they renewed their liquor license in August with the city but it doesn't seem to be reflected in the Prop info Portal. Other than that, absolute crickets from AMG and at the location itself, no activity, permits, or signing indicating anything.

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » December 8th, 2021, 1:53 pm

The last rumor I had heard when I ran into a former slims bar tender (so take this with a mountain or two of salt) was they didn't want to reopen given the issues that part of uptown was facing this summer but I have zero idea if that's the real story. That was told to me around July when the area was having issues. No idea if its true or not. Its a great location and building so even if the cowboy bar concept doesnt come back I hope something does indeed go there. Even a nashville style honky tonk would be nice there. Its good news that they are still interested in the space

uptownbro
Rice Park

Postby uptownbro » December 27th, 2021, 10:25 am

The owner of the uptown diner is opening a new cafe at 3008 Hennepin ave S(the old North face space) per the star tribunes story about Hennepin's reconstruction