Uptown-LynLake-Wedge - News & General Topics

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
RedDutch
City Center

Re: Uptown-LynLake-Wedge - News & General Topics

Postby RedDutch » June 17th, 2021, 6:13 am

They bought Calhoun Square with the overall vision of building two residential buildings and transforming the entire block into something much different. Seven Points (i have a really hard time calling it that) has struggled for decades. I am encouraged that the new ownership sees a new vision and is stopping the madness of trying to force a failing business model!!!

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 25th, 2021, 4:43 pm

The Dinkytown McDonald's getting ripped down gives me hope that the Uptown one will meet the same fate one day.

RedDutch
City Center

Postby RedDutch » June 26th, 2021, 6:10 am

They just renovated it several years ago.........but I wish it would go away as well!!!

Mdcastle
Foshay Tower

Postby Mdcastle » June 26th, 2021, 9:57 pm

People in Uptown don't want the opportunity to be able to eat at McDonalds?

One side effect of the city's drive thru ban is that makes locations with existing ones extremely ultra-valuable and thus a lot less likely to be redeveloped for other uses since companies know they can't just build new ones elsewhere. See how Raising Canes is specifically taking over the old Arby's that was destroyed by criminals in the riots, and even custom designing a building to use the existing foundation to keep the drive-thru, rather than building a stock prototype on some random lot like the normal pattern for fast-food development.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 27th, 2021, 5:36 am

The opportunity to be able to eat McDonald's

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » June 27th, 2021, 9:36 am

Luckily there's another McDonald's a little over a mile to the east, where MnDot has graciously added ramps so you can get back on the highway after getting some drive-thru food. (That location should be destroyed and replaced with a real building too).

alexschief
Foshay Tower

Postby alexschief » June 27th, 2021, 10:42 am

The primary guarantor of the the opportunity to be able to eat at McDonalds should be the McDonalds corporation and not the City of Minneapolis in my opinion, but perhaps that's a minority view.

rynet91
City Center

Postby rynet91 » July 1st, 2021, 9:08 am

Speaking of drive-thru's does anyone have an update on the Burger King at 34th and Nicollet? It was a bit of a rollercoaster of a story as far I know. The franchise owner closed the location, shortly after Minneapolis enacted the drive-thru ban, and then corporate BK took over the location and appealed to the city that the location was just in transition and they deserve to be grandfathered into the ban. The city give them like 6 months to open, which they didn't, then they got an extension which said they had to open by this spring. I haven't walked over there to see if the location ever opened or not.

I'd be happy if they just decided to sell, it would be fantastic to see the YMCA using that lot for an expansion building.

BoredAgain
Landmark Center

Postby BoredAgain » July 1st, 2021, 9:24 am

They did not open. There is now a dumpster outside, which is new.

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » July 1st, 2021, 12:03 pm

Speaking of drive-thru's does anyone have an update on the Burger King at 34th and Nicollet? It was a bit of a rollercoaster of a story as far I know. The franchise owner closed the location, shortly after Minneapolis enacted the drive-thru ban, and then corporate BK took over the location and appealed to the city that the location was just in transition and they deserve to be grandfathered into the ban. The city give them like 6 months to open, which they didn't, then they got an extension which said they had to open by this spring. I haven't walked over there to see if the location ever opened or not.

I'd be happy if they just decided to sell, it would be fantastic to see the YMCA using that lot for an expansion building.
That is most interesting. I did a public data request and found out that they are now planning on demolishing and reconstructing the store, but as noted in another comment, there is now some activity on the site. So perhaps the plan has changed and they just want to renovate (which is what they are doing for the Broadway location in North, but I'm not sure if any work has started). I didn't see anything in the records I received about granting an extension for Nicollet/34th, but I did discover an exchange between planning department staff that as long as the owner intends to continue using the drive thru, they get to keep their entitlements in perpetuity. In other words, the city's apparent position is that if a franchisee backs out for whatever reason, they get to preserve the nonconforming use as long as they are searching for a new operator. But I really don't think that is accurate when you look at what the code says (531.40).

For full disclosure - I sued the city over this one and have been operating under the understanding that BK had 1 year to resume the use from the date my suit ended (which was back in Oct 2020).

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 1st, 2021, 1:49 pm

One side effect of the city's drive thru ban is that makes locations with existing ones extremely ultra-valuable
I am not sure that is true. The franchise agreement certainly have restrictions on how close a new franchise can be, which is likely more protection than the drive thru ban.

Mdcastle
Foshay Tower

Postby Mdcastle » July 1st, 2021, 5:14 pm

Luckily there's another McDonald's a little over a mile to the east, where MnDot has graciously added ramps so you can get back on the highway after getting some drive-thru food. (That location should be destroyed and replaced with a real building too).
Well, if the people of Uptown consider being an additional mile away from a McDonald's fine then I guess that's their prerogative. Not far for those that have cars, but would seem to be a long walk.

Mdcastle
Foshay Tower

Postby Mdcastle » July 1st, 2021, 5:20 pm

One side effect of the city's drive thru ban is that makes locations with existing ones extremely ultra-valuable
I am not sure that is true. The franchise agreement certainly have restrictions on how close a new franchise can be, which is likely more protection than the drive thru ban.
If a a Krusty Burger doesn't want to reuse a drive-thru site because it's too close to another Krusty Burger, the site is still extremely valuable because the drive thru grandfathering can be used by a different fast food. Even fast casual places are now favoring prototypes with drive thrus so would be attracted to those sites.

As far as Burger King, during the pandemic they radically redesigned their prototypes to de-emphasize or even completely eliminate in-person dining and include contactless pickup options both inside (Burger Lockers) and outside (designated pickup spaces) for app / delivery orders. Maybe they want to make more changes to the buildings to be more like the prototypes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoHONJCu4T0&t=16s

uptownbro
Landmark Center

Postby uptownbro » July 6th, 2021, 5:38 pm

The uptown art fair has sadly been canceled due to security issues at lake and Hennepin. This is a pretty big blow to a part of uptown that is in need of positive energy.

tedlanda2571
City Center

Postby tedlanda2571 » July 6th, 2021, 8:06 pm

The uptown art fair has sadly been canceled due to security issues at lake and Hennepin. This is a pretty big blow to a part of uptown that is in need of positive energy.
LOL.

Baloney. We all know with 100% certainty that they are lying when they blame security issues and that in reality the Art Fair is being cancelled solely due to to gross mismanagement and an obviously failed business plan that barely managed to bring in 300,000 attendees.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 6th, 2021, 8:31 pm

The uptown art fair is definitely a laughing stock amongst the twin cities art community. It sounds like a great excuse.

They typically have tons of police presence so I doubt security was the issue.

tedlanda2571
City Center

Postby tedlanda2571 » July 6th, 2021, 8:57 pm

As long as we're throwing out unfounded opinions, my guess is that the need for security made them feel the event basically had a bullseye on its back.

But yeah, sure, maybe they cancelled the second most attended event in the state because 'the local art community' thinks it's a laughingstock.

I know tons of people that think the State Fair is a laughingstock. Maybe that's next to go...

RedDutch
City Center

Postby RedDutch » July 7th, 2021, 5:58 am

Why does the "local art community" think the Uptown Art Fair is a laughingstock? What are the issues? What do you mean by the local art community?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 7th, 2021, 7:12 am

Whatever the opinions on the art fair...again with the continued want to deny that there are actually problems with public safety. Well, there are. It isn't "perceived".

Mdcastle
Foshay Tower

Postby Mdcastle » July 7th, 2021, 7:38 am

Foodie snobs think McDonald's is a laughingstock. Maybe that'll close next.