Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Uptown Projects Map

Postby lordmoke » August 14th, 2013, 11:04 am

Cheapo will remain, at least until February, and other info on the building:
http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2013 ... or_now.php

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 14th, 2013, 11:18 am

but a more realistic scenario might involve the property being redeveloped into something higher density along the lines of the properties adjacent to Cheapo on both the east and west.
Sounds to me like it's slowly becoming a foregone conclusion that it'll be redeveloped...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 14th, 2013, 1:22 pm

That was interesting. Coming from Aaron Rupar, I would have expected a much more negative tone towards redevelopment of Cheapo. His coverage of the Opus Dinkytown project was pretty consistently tinged with anti-development sentiment.

This is kind of O/T, but do you guys' friends have the same generally negative reaction towards development/"gentrification"? I've found that among the general populace, even among my chosen circle of friends (urbanist friends excluded), the default attitude towards (re)development seems to be on the negative side. Even in Uptown, I have friends that scoff "ugh, more stupid condos" at the stuff happening along the Greenway.

I mean, I sort of get it, since most humans basically hate all forms of change, even when it doesn't affect them one iota. It seems that if a person does not understand local government finance and how much taxes these new developments pay, compared to a vacant/underutilized property, and has no concept of the benefits of density and good urbanism (even though they are likely experiencing some of these things living near Uptown) they are more inclined to just like things the way they are.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » August 14th, 2013, 1:59 pm

I once pressed a friend into explaining why she preferred the enormous derelict parking lot that used to be in front to Franklin-Nicollet Liquors to the condo building that replaced it. She said she just liked things that were gross.

In addition to the kneejerk conservatism described by twincitizen, I think a lot of (especially older) people feel like they're tough or pioneers or something for living in the dirty dangerous city. Then when all these "condo towers" pop up and targetrons move in they feel like the trend has been spoiled. Like your favorite bar just got a travel recommendation from the Wall Street Journal. I lived in Minneapolis before it was cool, you know?
"Who rescued whom!"

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 14th, 2013, 2:05 pm

I will give a specific example, because it does a good job of illustrating the way my friends see development.

My roommate bikes past the LPM site almost every day on his way home from work, and when I was talking about the tower one night, he had no idea what I was talking about. He hadn't noticed the half block construction site he had been passing for weeks. So, they mostly don't care. I think a couple were upset by the Dinkytown thing, but not to the level of protesting or anything. I have no idea how much of the general population is totally oblivious to development in this way, but it has to be a fair number.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » August 14th, 2013, 2:10 pm

I've heard from a number of people that they don't like new apartments because they're more expensive, which mostly means that people aren't understanding that housing is a market like everything else. Once I've explained to them that housing filters down and that, for example, houses in como are already cheaper because of new development, they'll be OK with.

I knew some people against the Opus development. One of them was fine once I explained that Al's wasn't getting touched. Another had some pretty serious car entitlement and I think that Facebook thread ended in a draw. But Dinkytown is a special flower and everybody has their own unique take on it so I guess opinions there aren't really applicable.

TheUrbanGopher
Nicollet Mall

Postby TheUrbanGopher » August 14th, 2013, 2:54 pm

I agree with FISHMANPET on the misconception of development. Many of my friends were against the Opus development until they knew that Al's (and even Wally's and Cafe 421) wasn't being touched. A good number of the same crowd actually became supportive of the project after I explained to them what it will do to the area. The sentiment from normal, otherwise neutral-minded students is positive. Most complain about the price, but also like to party in the new apartments when they have a chance. :D

As far as Uptown, all of the people I've talked to love the new buildings going up along the Greenway.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 14th, 2013, 4:00 pm

I have a friend who lived in Bleu with his girlfriend. We were walking by the Walkway when it was just 1 level of studs, and I pointed it out. Despite the fact that she was a 20-something who was living in a luxury apartment building blocks away, she responded "yeah, more stupid expensive apartments." I chuckled and didn't say anything since it was a girlfriend.

I agree that most people don't realize the housing market works a lot like everything else, and assume that new expensive stuff going in will just raise the prices of existing units around it (heck, roughly 6 months ago I had the same feelings). I think they see things framed very local - ie propert taxes on the commercial/residential spaces directly surrounding a new development go up, they assume it must be the case for everywhere else (and this conception is only upheld by the residents being put in news articles or tv stories).

Add in that most people will tend to swing emotionally toward historic preservation, particularly for structures built from 1900 to 1950. Finally, add in the equalizer - conservatives, liberals, you name it, everyone gets a hair up their butt regarding a loss of parking. Thus a pretty knee-jerk reaction toward development.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 14th, 2013, 6:08 pm

For a PERFECT sampling of what we're talking about, albeit tinged by post-Opus Dinkytown angst, check out MN Daily's Facebook status today about the demolition of Sally's (which clearly states that Sally's will return in the new building). The comments are exactly what we're talking about. A one story divey bar/restaurant is "unique" and has "character" while these new apartments are for "yuppies" or "take advantage of students"

twincitizen

Re: Uptown Development Map and General Discussion

Postby twincitizen » August 20th, 2013, 10:32 am

Some blah blah report about the Lyn-Lake parking lot at Lake & Garfield: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 113014.pdf

Only click that link if you are interested in the finance & operations of that lot. I am, of course, because I eventually want to see it replaced by a mixed-use development that includes public parking.

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » September 6th, 2013, 8:18 pm

http://elanuptown.com/assets/images/bg_contact.jpg

Pretty interesting view of uptown. Definitely demonstrates the potential for future development, especially along the south side of the greenway.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » September 6th, 2013, 10:35 pm

It's funny, that view makes me think of a small Minnesota town/city. Not like a true big city district. It makes me think of St. Cloud or something along those lines, not a major city. But the development going on in the different parcels helps encourage me.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 7th, 2013, 10:14 am

It's funny, that view makes me think of a small Minnesota town/city. Not like a true big city district. It makes me think of St. Cloud or something along those lines, not a major city. But the development going on in the different parcels helps encourage me.
Still too many gaps, but like you say it's improving. Also, when you walk around at the ground level the area is starting to have a more dense urban feel. I'm optimistic in a few years many of the remaining vacant lots will be filled. The striking Mozaic phase 2 should raise the design bar to improve the quality of future projects. And I hope that new development starts focusing on other uses rather than rental to diversify activity. The apartment boom has been great to get the ball rolling and increase the density, however, I think there's a risk of too much concentration of this type of development. This area does NOT need any more stick built apartment projects.

Minnekid
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnekid » September 7th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Still too many gaps, but like you say it's improving. Also, when you walk around at the ground level the area is starting to have a more dense urban feel. I'm optimistic in a few years many of the remaining vacant lots will be filled. The striking Mozaic phase 2 should raise the design bar to improve the quality of future projects. And I hope that new development starts focusing on other uses rather than rental to diversify activity. The apartment boom has been great to get the ball rolling and increase the density, however, I think there's a risk of too much concentration of this type of development. This area does NOT need any more stick built apartment projects.
Yeah the ground level is improving dramaticallly. Especially in the spot where the first phase of the Mozaic is. With the construction of the new apartment building, that corner has that "complete" feel. Now I don't know if saying apartment construction is bad because it is being mixed. There is office space mixed with residential and tons of retail. Before uptown was a district of retail only and then around it single family homes. Would much rather have retail and apartments on top. Now the office space developments are just the cherry on top.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

FLUX

Postby Minneboy » September 21st, 2013, 11:03 am

Whatever happened to this topic? Weird. Anyways came across the site's video advertisement. Who can guess the star at 1:24 minutes or there abouts.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Re: FLUX

Postby Minneboy » September 21st, 2013, 1:36 pm

Forgot to post the link. http://www.liveinflux.com/

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Re: FLUX

Postby Chauncey87 » September 21st, 2013, 2:59 pm

Ricky Rubio! I found that video to make the FLUX out to be a very sexy place to live.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 21st, 2013, 3:38 pm

This project has been done since before the site started, so I moved it into the general area. I'll say that despite the marketing and such, I know more (than zero) empty nesters/other older people who've moved into these new apartment buildings than any 20-something Targetrons (zero).
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 21st, 2013, 6:39 pm

This project has been done since before the site started, so I moved it into the general area. I'll say that despite the marketing and such, I know more (than zero) empty nesters/other older people who've moved into these new apartment buildings than any 20-something Targetrons (zero).
Reminds me how Toyota launched the Scion brand hoping to attract youngsters and ended up with an average buyer older than Buick's average buyer.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 28th, 2013, 6:07 am

Oh, there are plenty of 20-somethings living there. At least I assume they live there since they're at the outdoor bar or sunbathing with umbrella drinks. It's all a bit droll to this old-timer.