Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby twincitizen » January 12th, 2015, 3:13 pm

Some people claim that buyers are making false statements about eminent domain to pressure owners into selling.
Please elaborate. Why would anyone believe a claim that the government is interested in buying properties along 28th? And even if that claim were true, what possible effect would that have on properties that don't directly abut 28th anyways?
From my understanding, developers are telling owners pf homes south of 28th (not just directly on 28th) that the city will condemn their properties via eminent domain because the city wants new development there. Basically, the kind of actions that led to the Kelo decision. Of course that can't happen but nobody says developers don't lie at times.
Not to be a jerk (to your neighbors), but I really don't feel bad for anyone that is smart enough to own a home, but uninformed/ignorant enough to believe that the government can just come in and buy their property for any purpose other than building a road (or other public benefit).

It kinda does help to give help you a sampling of how distrustful some folks are of city government though. I'm not saying your neighbors are just like MRRDC, but several members of that group have demonstrated outright paranoia and fear of city government and their nefarious developer friends.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 12th, 2015, 3:15 pm

I wouldn't say I implicitly trust government, but I certainly don't implicitly distrust government either.
Last edited by FISHMANPET on January 13th, 2015, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Re: Hiawatha Avenue Grain Elevators & Freight Rail Corridor

Postby blobs » January 12th, 2015, 5:20 pm

Dumb question: is the southern end of Uptown e.g. land near Lake street more valuable than further north near Franklin? E.g., do people want to live closer to Lake street than Franklin as far as Uptown goes or is it all about the same?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 12th, 2015, 11:37 pm

Keep adding 0's to the purchase price, I really doubt that the city can force a sale, or wants to get into a huge PR and legal battle to support it.
Of course not. The message I got was that developers were lying to people about the city being ready to condemn their properties for redevelopment. Legally, that can't happen since Kelo. *If* this is true, developers are strong-arming homeowners, counting on them not knowing the limits of the city's power, trying to force them to sell (presumably at a lower price).

Again, I have no confirmation this is actually happening, just some talk.
Last edited by David Greene on January 14th, 2015, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 13th, 2015, 9:41 am

All it takes is a call to the city and the name of a lawyer and you have an excellent lawsuit. Deception usually will get you an winning verdict if they don't settle out of court to save the bad PR.

clf
Metrodome

Postby clf » January 13th, 2015, 10:29 am

I don't know anything about developers lying but a friend of mine that owns a house on Bryant near 22nd has received postcards and letters from a developer wanting to buy their house. They said they receive about one a week even though they have no desire to sell.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 13th, 2015, 10:59 am

I don't know anything about developers lying but a friend of mine that owns a house on Bryant near 22nd has received postcards and letters from a developer wanting to buy their house. They said they receive about one a week even though they have no desire to sell.
There is a difference in saying you wan to buy a property, and saying that the city will condemn thru eminent domain. They are two very different approaches. One is appropriate and the other is a sleaze tactic.

clf
Metrodome

Postby clf » January 13th, 2015, 11:13 am

"There is a difference in saying you wan to buy a property, and saying that the city will condemn thru eminent domain. They are two very different approaches. One is appropriate and the other is a sleaze tactic."

Well of course! That was my point.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 13th, 2015, 11:40 am

Not to be a jerk (to your neighbors), but I really don't feel bad for anyone that is smart enough to own a home, but uninformed/ignorant enough to believe that the government can just come in and buy their property for any purpose other than building a road (or other public benefit).
In most cases, yes, but consider the case of, say, an elderly person whose now-deceased spouse handled all of the financial and property stuff. He/she may well be quite vulnerable to this kind of tactic. Elderly people get scammed all the time.

Do I think this is widespread? No. Do I think it's plausible in some individual cases? Yeah.
It kinda does help to give help you a sampling of how distrustful some folks are of city government though.
Distrust of the city goes well beyond MRRDC, is often based on experience and is mostly of the non-paranoid variety (i.e. there's a good reason for it).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 14th, 2015, 7:29 am

This all sounds like it could easily be considered "harassment" in the eyes of a lawyer and/or judge. There's simply asking for your home and there's eminent domain due to imminent public use, but these strong-arm tactics are a step too far in my eyes....and I'd bet it'd make a strong case if it were to go before a court.

I really hope these stories are much more the exception than the rule.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 15th, 2015, 12:05 pm

It would appear that the stars are aligning for redevelopment of the NE corner of Hennepin & 25th. Wuollet's has closed. I've previously heard from a friend who knows first-hand the that building owner is retiring and selling the property. Now NIP has closed as well: http://www.southwestjournal.com/notes/n ... n-hennepin

What I heard last year was that the commercial building (Wuollet's, Rinata, Dominos, and yes, Tuthill Balloon) and the single-family home behind it would be torn down. That house on 25th actually sits on the same parcel of property as the shopping center, oddly enough. I have no idea how that worked out, zoning wise. At the time, NIP was still in business and reportedly not part of any redevelopment. Now that NIP is closed, it seems logical that someone would try to control the entire triangular block there. I still somewhat doubt that the NIP building would come down, as it fills out the triangle and could easily remain separate from any redevelopment on the south end of the block. We'll see if anything surfaces...

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 15th, 2015, 4:25 pm

I've long hated that commercial building because the facade is so terrible. I wonder if there is someting better underneath. I'd welcome redevelopment there for something taller and denser.

It will be very interesting what the historic opposition crowds will say, as this is clearly a parcel destined for density and if they're buying out the homeowner, there shouldn't be an immediate visual impacts (I know, I know...). It will be a test to see if these groups can be a productive part of the conversation or will discredit themselves.

The NIP building is actually quite nice so it would be a shame to tear it down. It could make a nice small business office space.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 15th, 2015, 4:28 pm

The "homeowner" is the owner of the commercial building. They sit on the same parcel of land (somehow): http://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/def ... 2924130002

The above article stated that there was a purchase agreement for the NIP building. I suppose we'll find out soon if that same party buys this commercial property. Though in either scenario, I have to imagine the NIP building stays.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 15th, 2015, 8:17 pm

That house is a craphole. Interesting, but barely maintained to acceptable standards. Also, their garden was weedy. ;)

(*edit- I always thought college student 20-somethings lived there, at least that's what the bottle collection and furniture said.)
Last edited by seanrichardryan on January 15th, 2015, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 15th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Since you're all wondering... There is a brick streetcar 'taxpayer' hiding under the googie 1957 facade-

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 15th, 2015, 9:55 pm

Huh. What's that house in front of the NIP building in those old photos? I know the building was expanded at some time but there's also a small parking lot there. The house must have fronted Emerson. Seems like it would have had a "back" yard right about where the NIP addition was put on.

And yes, I totally expected that craphole house to be full of young college kids. It could actually be a pretty charming house if it was kept up/renovated but obviously it's not worth that expense.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 20th, 2015, 12:30 am

In a surprising move, Wells Fargo appears to be proposing to demolish their one story drive through-ey bank at Lake and Humboldt so they can replace it with a one story drive through-ey bank that's on the corner instead of setback behind a small parking lot. Kinda underwhelming.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » January 20th, 2015, 8:26 am

I'd happily take it. That area could use a few less parking lots facing Lake.

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 20th, 2015, 8:41 am

I was just saying the other day as we drove by that I don't know why they don't find a way to consolidate into the Sons of Norway building and sell that land off for redevolopment. I don't know if that would be possible, but is a drive through bank NEEDED right there? I know it's also their home mortgage building... but still. Hopefully it meets the corner well and does a decent job at hiding the drive through.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Hiawatha Avenue Grain Elevators & Freight Rail Corridor

Postby David Greene » January 21st, 2015, 10:26 pm

Dumb question: is the southern end of Uptown e.g. land near Lake street more valuable than further north near Franklin? E.g., do people want to live closer to Lake street than Franklin as far as Uptown goes or is it all about the same?
Without looking at assessments of land values, it's hard to know. The houses in the norther Wedge are monre expensive, but that's likely because the houses are much bigger and fancier. Generally the southern Wedge seems to be more popular for the younger, singler crowd while the northern Wedge is more family oriented. Very generally speaking as there are obviously plenty of apartments and small condos in the northern Wedge.

We are a proud counter-cultural family. :)